new to Vatsim and VFR

Martin Lawrence

Martin Lawrence

Hi all im new to Vatsim and flying sims in general i am thinking as i have been able to learn and understand the GA planes rather than the larger airliners it would be easier to get into the VFR side of flying but im unsure about doing it on the network and how it would work, i am signed up to do the p1 training as i thought this might be a good experience as gaining your PPL is the start in the real world.

Do people think this is a good route or should i just jump into an airliner like most people seem to do on the network??

Martin Lawrence

im already in the system for the ppl1 training ive finished the theory and waiting to get to the top of the waiting list for the practical portion, i've joined the group too thanks Stephen

Hiya Martin!

Unfortunately the waiting list is a bit long, but by all means feel free to give some VFR a crack. If you pop me a DM on Discord, I'll be around to help you with anything you need.

I would HIGHLY recommend picking an airfield such as Goodwood and doing some circuits, getting used to the aircraft and local radiotelephony. Then consider trying some short VFR hops, like Goodwood to Shoreham or Lydd, which keep you well clear of controlled airspace.

Best of luck 🙂

Martin Lawrence

cheers Darren i thought it might be im getting plenty of yoke time in but not much time talking with ATC as im not sure about who im meant to be talking too if its un controlled and such like and i dont want to put extra pressure dealing with someone who is nervous also im trying not to get too many bad habits before im pushed in the right direction.

im ok with circuits and im getting better trimming the aircraft ive done one trip from goodwood to lydd along the coast and im just looking at doing the VFR1 exercise from biggin hill to lydd

58 minutes ago, Martin Lawrence said:

cheers Darren i thought it might be im getting plenty of yoke time in but not much time talking with ATC as im not sure about who im meant to be talking too if its un controlled and such like and i dont want to put extra pressure dealing with someone who is nervous also im trying not to get too many bad habits before im pushed in the right direction.

im ok with circuits and im getting better trimming the aircraft ive done one trip from goodwood to lydd along the coast and im just looking at doing the VFR1 exercise from biggin hill to lydd

Im happy to help. If you drop my a pm in discord then maybe we could potentially do a flight together. I always find thats a great way to learn!

• Like 1