James Taylor

.asr and .prf

James Taylor

Hi, any help would be gladly appreciated.

I would like to know what the difference is between a .asr file format and .prf. Inside of the uk controller pack and when I go to "open sct" and "open", all of the .prf files are invisible as it says I need .asr files. Am I doing anything completely wrong or should I just be doing something slightly different?

Thanks.

Andy Ford

PRF is the actual Euroscope profile, it has things such as your PTT keys, login details (hence why you should never share your PRFs without checking them first), hardware settings, where to find your settings files and so on.

ASRs are specific to particular radar views - e.g. on London I have one ASR for London, another for Heathrow etc. They store the settings for that view - like which symbols/freetext/elements you have on, which tags you are using, where your viewport last was, etc.

The PRF is what you load when you open EuroScope, the ASR is what Euroscope uses in conjunction with the sector file to save what appears on your screen.

Edited by Andy Ford

James Taylor

Thanks for your response, so when I go into open sct and open all of the .pfr files are not shown as it needs a .asr to open, is there an alternative or do I have to do something to the .pfr file?

Nick Marinov

James, when you open Euroscope click on OTHER SET and make sure those two settings are unchecked: http://prntscr.com/esgoxg

Then restart Euroscope (make sure you save the settings when you close the program) and it should ask you which profile you want to open (this will be done at every startup of ES).

Kye Taylor

I'm trying to logon as an obs and I'm having the same issue, i looked at the included Readme file in the uk pack i followed all the steps but when i try to load the display file it says EuroScopeFiles (*asr) when i try to load a sector. i was looking through your responses and i unchecked the two boxes (Auto load last profile on startup and auto save profiles on exit) but nothing seems to work. could you please help me thanks.

Nathan Donnelly

Kye,

These issues will be covered during your initial Observer to S1 Group Session with Fraser.

Nathan

Kye Taylor

Thank you Nathan, i was looking in too it and a S3 told me. thanks for your responce

Adam Kenny

James,

A PRF is a profile made automatically by the VATSIM UK Controller pack. So when you got to open EuroScope navigate to "Documents" -> "Euroscope" -> "UK"  -> Then the station/area you are controlling.

An ASR file is like a file that has certain INFO on it "like stands, taxiways, aprons etc", and other ones that are for En-route control and Approach control. There is regularly in every PRF an ASR file "eg. Let's say I want to observe LON_S_CTR (London South Center), It will usually have about four files for the "En-route control", then airports that are major "Eg. EGLL, EGKK etc"

To load an ASR file go to "Open SCT" -> "Open" that will load an ASR file.

To load an SCT file "a file that every ASR file is based off". "Open SCT" -> "Load Sector File" then select your file.

Hoped this helped,

Adam.

Alex Ashley
8 minutes ago, Adam Kenny said:

James,

A PRF is a profile made automatically by the VATSIM UK Controller pack. So when you got to open EuroScope navigate to "Documents" -> "Euroscope" -> "UK"  -> Then the station/area you are controlling.

An ASR file is like a file that has certain INFO on it "like stands, taxiways, aprons etc", and other ones that are for En-route control and Approach control. There is regularly in every PRF an ASR file "eg. Let's say I want to observe LON_S_CTR (London South Center), It will usually have about four files for the "En-route control", then airports that are major "Eg. EGLL, EGKK etc"

To load an ASR file go to "Open SCT" -> "Open" that will load an ASR file.

To load an SCT file "a file that every ASR file is based off". "Open SCT" -> "Load Sector File" then select your file.

Hoped this helped,

Adam.

Not quite :)

.prf files contain details about what the client needs to load, such as the sector file itself, relevant ASRs and plugins. They also store information such as your login details. This is what you can open up when initially loading ES.

.asr files basically tell EuroScope what to load from the sector file itself. For example, the Gatwick SMR file would load the region for the Gatwick SMR, the free text for Gatwick and any GEO features. These should be accessed via loading profiles, but can be loaded directly via Open SCT.