Core, the service that runs at https://core.vatsim.uk, is the backbone to the Web Services department. It has been a long time since it "just" handling sign on to all of our other services. Now, it is a platform that facilitates feedback, handles Visiting/Transferring applications, creates TeamSpeak registrations and more. Soon, it will become the shop window of the division too, handling our public facing website and the content that it provides.
To give you an idea of how much it is used... In the last 12 months it has...
- processed over 110,000 logins to CTS, Helpdesk, Forum and other UK services;
- handled over 3000 TeamSpeak registrations;
- seen nearly 500 Visiting/Transfer applications;
- had around 60,000 lines of code changed by 7 different developers.
If you're interested in getting involved, we are planning to run a "Getting Started" session that covers the following subjects...
- Getting Core up and running on your machine;
- Basic version control and working with other developers;
- How we manage issues and which you should pick up;
- Working on your first issue.
We will go through everything, start to finish. Think of it like OBS_PT1 but for Web Services... sort of...
The session will conclude with us actually writing some code together and "committing" it to the central repository.
The session will run on Saturday 18th August at 1830z (1930 BST) on the VATSIM UK TeamSpeak server.
The session will likely run for around two hours.
Parts of the session may involve restarting your PC, we will allow time for this. Other parts may require you to be an administrator on your PC too.
I'm keen to involve as many people as possible. No matter your skill level. The issue we have lined up requires no working knowledge of code whatsoever.