Ian Niblo

Southend pilots?

Ian Niblo

Hi all,

Anyone live in the Southend-on-Sea (Essex) area? I'm looking for someone to buddy-up for airliner flights to share the workload.

My setup is pretty crude but I guess it's a step on from joystick and keyboard - there's a photo at http:www.fsbuddy.comQuad4.JPG if you want to check it out. I plan to jiggle it around a bit to accomodate another seat and I have a third monitor to add on the left, just haven't got around to it.

I think it could work quite well and it'd certainly be a lot more realistic if we took it in turns to either fly or handle radios etc so if you're a fairly proficient airliner pilot and want to try if out drop me a line and we can discuss: ian dot niblo at blueyonder dot co dot uk (damned spammers!)

Hope to hear from some of you, all the best!

Ian

ps I'm early forties if that's important!

Adrian Smith

Just wondering why you have all the throttles etc on your left?

Captains fly from the left hand seat so throttles, gear controls etc should be on your right.

I have asked this question of joystick manufacturers for the last five years as to why they make all their stick/throttle combos for first officers not for captains, none of them can answer me!!!

Ian Niblo

Hi Adrian,

Just a question of being practical really. I've tried the joystick on the left and the throttles on the right but I'm right handed and just can't get used to doing the delicate stuff with my left hand (bit like trying to use the mouse with my left hand). I know it's a failing on my part but until I sort out a control yoke it's just much more comfortable to fly that way! (Strangely enough I prefer to view through the Captain's window. Very topsy turvy!)

Ian

Thomas Crisps

Hi Adrian,

Just a question of being practical really. I've tried the joystick on the left and the throttles on the right but I'm right handed and just can't get used to doing the delicate stuff with my left hand (bit like trying to use the mouse with my left hand). I know it's a failing on my part but until I sort out a control yoke it's just much more comfortable to fly that way! (Strangely enough I prefer to view through the Captain's window. Very topsy turvy!)

Ian

I fly the joystick with my right hand as well. It seems natural, in fact the first time i was taken up in a Grob Tutor with the CCF RAF pthe pilot had to tell me to put my left hand on the stick. I now have a CH Yoke and control with the left and throttle with the right seems natural.

Adrian Smith

If you ever try to fly for real you will need to RAPIDLY get used to controlling the aeroplane with your left hand and the throttle with your right.

I spent six weeks two years ago learning to fly the other way around (wly with RH, throttle with LH) so I could be a flying instructor.

Now I can do both, but I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

Ian Niblo

Hehe - that's appalling! Right up there with "Thank God I'm an athiest"

You're right about the controls but I'll never be a real pilot and it's only a home sim - may as well be comfy )

Mind you I'll be interested to see how it changes when I get a yoke. Joystick movements are small and precise whereas yokes move much more. I can drive the car left handed but as I said before I can't use a mouse that way.

Anyway, invitations still out there - anyone in my area's welcome to 1st or 2nd seat with me, roll up, roll up!

Ian

James Kirkwood

If you ever try to fly for real you will need to RAPIDLY get used to controlling the aeroplane with your left hand and the throttle with your right.

I spent six weeks two years ago learning to fly the other way around (wly with RH, throttle with LH) so I could be a flying instructor.

Now I can do both, but I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

I found it never effected me, really, Maybe I will get someone else up with me, and I sit on the right and see how that feels.

Ian Niblo

Hi Robert, not sure if you meant me or how much did Adrian's instructor training cost? If you meant me it's kind of hard to say - I had to buy a ton of tools and things to get started. The quadrant's made of MDF and strips of metal from B&Q but there's paint, soldering, electrical components, printing, knobs and all the GoFlight modules. All adds up to lots and lots of money but at least now I have the tool kit to do other bits relatively cheap. If there's one thing I learned it's you can't do anything without the right tools. MachineMart send me Valentines cards....

Robert Piper

lol yh that was to you Ian sounds very expensive and also power hungery

Ian Niblo

Hehe - expensive to start up yep but not bad on power. It doesn't use mains power at all and runs on just 2 USBs (the go-flight modules use a further 5 but I already had a couple of USB hubs)

Ian Niblo

How time flies!

It's been over 10 years since my original post and my cockpit has grown up quite a bit. Twice as it happens. The latest version is a fully enclosed cockpit with wrap-around visuals, surround sound and Buttkickers. It also has Autopilot/FMCs and a full suite of software to make it that bit more realistic. It even has an instructor station!

Local pilots are still welcome - if you're interested in flying a full-sized 737 cockpit or just want to watch it on Facebook Live send me a friend request - you can't have too many VATSIM friends 😊

Merry Christmas all, and special thanks to all the controllers who make our hobby worthwhile!

Ian