Flight sim on a laptop

Dale Johnson

Hi Guys,

I’m looking to get back into flight sim full time soon however don’t have the space for a computer. Been looking at some laptops but not sure whether I could comfortable run flight sim 2020 or fsx on any of the specs below, anyone able to help? 

Laptop 1 -

• AMD Ryzen 5 - 3500U processor. 
  • Quad core processor. 
  • 2.1GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 3.7GHz. 
  • 8GB RAM DDR4. 
  • 256GB SSD storage.
  • AMD Radeon Vega 8 .

laptop 2- 

• Intel Core i3 - 1115G4 processor. 
  • Dual core processor. 
  • with a burst speed of 4.1GHz. 
  • 4GB RAM DDR4. 
  • 128GB SSD storage
  • Intel UHD Graphics

I know it won’t get the best FPS.

Any help would be great 

Thanks 

David Harrison

I think Laptop 2 is going to struggle... 128GB SSD will be pretty much swallowed up by MSFS2020, and Integrated graphics are going to struggle big time. 

You'd probably be alright on Laptop 1 - but with fairly reduced graphics quality in FS2020. FSX should be alright. 

Maybe consider getting XP11 while you still can - it should be able to run on laptop 1 with most settings turned down (you can always try the free demo first).

XP11 runs far better than MSFS and FSX, while being a much better sim than FSX at a fraction of the MSFS cost.

However, I would highly recommend looking at something with a dedicated GPU (I'm thinking RTX3050 or better) if you want to run a sim properly at decent settings/frame rates.

Edited by Darren Hill

Having run FS on several laptops on Vatsim  over many years, both those are capable of eating FSX alive and therefore will run MSFS as well PROVIDED you are realistic in your expectations and prepared to compromise.