Scottish Sector Splits - Clarification

Trevor Hannant

I believe SCO_WD_CTR can now be opened independently (great news!).  Can it be clarified whether existing "no top down" arrangements are maintained as per the Agreed Levels Diagrams for the Deancross sector?

Additionally, the Sector and ALD diagrams for West/Deancross show they only cover their real world equivalent - however this from the vMATS suggests that it may cover Rathlin also?:

a87c13579e543721a628c09e219a7307-png.jpg

Again, just seeking clarification on what is and isn't covered.   It may be useful to have a definitive post covering all the splits that can/can't be opened and their dependencies.

22 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Can it be clarified whether existing "no top down" arrangements are maintained as per the Agreed Levels Diagrams for the Deancross sector?

Deancross does not have any direct top-down responsibilities of airports, as it is an upper sector - this is what the Deancross Agreed Levels Diagram shows.

As per the TMA Agreed Levels Diagrams, (West-)Deancross does cover the TMA airspace when the TMA is not online, hence Deancross does in that case cover EGPH/PF/PK:

image.png.4a7e8ce4b6ae140805b27398a6f8a418.png

Additionally, the Sector and ALD diagrams for West/Deancross show they only cover their real world equivalent - however this from the vMATS suggests that it may cover Rathlin also?:

West-Deancross is a bandbox of what we call the West LAG (consisting of the West and Rathlin sectors) and Deancross. As per the Rathlin diagram, SCO_WD does cover Rathlin in their absence:

image.png.927739b5a6fe0848e30325624ff28718.png

It may be useful to have a definitive post covering all the splits that can/can't be opened and their dependencies.

The TL;DR is that you can open SCO / SCO_WD / STC / STC_A on your own regardless of whether the rest of the FIR is covered. Sub-splits of those positions require the whole airspace to be online - so you can't just control half the TMA without the other half being covered. Notwithstanding that restriction, any split in the vMATS is available for use without ops approval.

Does this post help though?

15 hours ago, Lenny Colton said:

Since they're Scottish Area Groups and not London Area Groups, can we please call them SAGs?

Hah, good one. If only they were indeed London Area Groups 😉 

• Like 2

Couldn't find that post you'd linked hence why I thought I'd raise the question.

Thanks Harry - would it be prudent to edit the ALDs to show that DCS does cover top down as obviously if ScTMA was online under, they'd be taking them off them anyway...

2 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

would it be prudent to edit the ALDs to show that DCS does cover top down as obviously if ScTMA was online under, they'd be taking them off them anyway...

I think this is one of the cases where you have to rely on your knowledge of the airspace structure and sector combinations versus looking at diagrams. I'm going to look at your argument the other way and say isn't it obvious when you're on DCS with no TMA you're taking their top-down and sector responsibilities?

The same top-down logic is applied in all other sectors, one of many examples is AC Dover which doesn't have any top-down on the ALD but of course covers all TCSE airports in their absence.