London Heathrow Procedures

John Pettit

Today has been a normal day at London Heathrow, when no ATC has been online.

Few seem to know (or use) procedures at EGLL, especially which runway to use. Full details can be found at

1. Vatsim UK under <EGLL Procedures>  (simples!)

2. A full annual table (printable file) at https://www.heathrow.com/company/local-community/noise/operations/runway-alternation

One pilot commented that SimBrief suggested the 'other' runway. Beware: SimBrief does not take the runway alternation program into account.

Another idiosyncrasy of SimBrief is the route used. This is, usually, just the most recent route filed between the two airports. Ths can be some time ago. For short routes this is fairly constant, so not a problem. However.on long routes (eg EGLL to KLAX) and especially infrequently used routes (EGLL to KSJC) this can cause flight times to be up to one hour +/- longer than necessary. A sensible look at the route wind charts on SimBrief will, if used intelligently, tell you which routeing to use. Look at the wind strength arrows for your expected cruise altitude, as well as the North Atlantic tracks. This will indicate where the stronger westerly winds are on your day of flight. Avoid them when flying westwards.

PS: At EGLL (Heathrow) runway 09L is rarelt used for departures due to noise constraints.

Hope you found this useful!

• Like 3

On 31/07/2022 at 17:41, John Pettit said:

Today has been a normal day at London Heathrow, when no ATC has been online.

Few seem to know (or use) procedures at EGLL, especially which runway to use. Full details can be found at

Hi John, nice to hear you again. If few pilots know the procedures at EGLL and fewer I imagine read the forum how can we change this?

If pilots broadcast their runway intensions we can work with this and it is the best we can expect at any unmanned airfield ?

I use the alernative runway procedures for EGLL:-

https://www.heathrow.com/content/dam/heathrow/web/common/documents/company/local-community/noise/operations/runway-alternation/Runway_Alternation_Programme_2022.pdf

Hi Jim,

Good to see you are still active on Vatsim!

I guess I would have to agree with your summary - but I can never understand why someone would want to fly on Vatsim, but not want to find out how to do it correctly.

It smacks of: "I want to join your club, but I won't follow your club rules"!

Your runway alternation link takes you to the same place as mine, essentially  😁