[6 & 7 August 2022, 1000 - 1900z] Mid Summer Madness XVI

Henry Cleaver

Posted (edited)

1491143398_MidSummerMadnessXVI.thumb.png.3e4044d3e6df692a4e664ecb1f358bbf.png

I'm delighted to announce the latest rendition of VATSIM UK's longest running event.

On Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th August, Birmingham Airport (EGBB) will host its 16th annual Mid Summer Madness Event. Birmingham Airport will be fully staffed from 1000-1900Z (1100-2000 BST) on both days.

Turn up and fly to and/or from EGBB in whatever you like, when ever you like and as many times as you like! Please help us celebrate the 16th anniversary of this fantastic event by flying in and out of Birmingham - the skies are guaranteed to be busy around Birmingham!

Most of your controllers and a few of your fellow pilots will be sat in the same room. We really hope you can help us make this the best Mid Summer Madness event yet!

Prizes

This year we've again teamed up with some amazing flight simulation software companies. Thanks to the generosity of these fantastic companies, we're able to offer the following prizes to pilots who fly in or out of Birmingham during the event weekend:

• Orbx - a product of your choice from their store (not partner products) for three winners AND a Volanta premium subscription for 6 months for three winners.
  • PMDG - $70 (USD) store credit to be used on a PMDG product of your choice for one winner.
  • A2A Simulations - a product of your choice from their store for five winners.

These prizes will be available to win for pilots for the below:

·         One for the pilot who flies the furthest distance whilst online to be with us, either departing or arriving EGBB during event hours.

·         One for the pilot who flies the most flights in or out of EGBB, with full stop landings during event hours.

·         Remaining prizes at random for pilots who fly a full flight online into or out of EGBB during event hours.

Winners will be contacted via the VATSIM-UK forums after the event to claim their prize so please make sure you check regularly after the event in case you win.

We have also partnered this year with some of the UK’s favourite virtual airlines. Thanks to those who have offered to join us for the event – check with your favourite VA for more information.

Thanks again to our sponsors who have made this possible.

We hope to see you there!

Controllers please note Birmingham will be staffed live from the venue. Supporting controllers on adjacent positions are welcome.

Edited by Henry Cleaver
  • Like 9

With two weeks to go, we're really looking forward to this years event.

We've been doing this year after year, at our own expense and despite the odd technical difficulty and global challenge along the way, we've overcome all obstacles and we're delighted to be able continue VATSIM UK's longest running annual event. That's right, this years MSM event will be the 16th year in a row we've done this!

In the early years, we didn't think this event had much milage in it, but you lot, the pilots, have proven just how much you enjoy the carnage. You keep coming back year after year with ever increasing numbers. We recognise, and appreciate, the same pilots and callsigns who turn up year after year without fail. Without you all, we wouldn't, and couldn't do this. This year, again, we have some of the biggest flight simulation software companies supporting us; we can't thank PMDG, ORBX and A2A enough for their support.

Thank you again to all pilots, and controllers in supporting positions, who continue to make this event such a success. We really, really, do appreciate your efforts.

Hopefully speak to you all over the vEGBB airwaves in a couple of weekends time and you might even win a prize from one of our epic sponsors 👍

Edited by Stuart Duncan
  • Like 6

Always a great event we have had some record breaking times with traffic movements over the years. Let’s hope we can do it again 

Edited by Steve Riley
Typo

I can't be there in person but be assured that I shall abuse the airspace a number of times over the weekend. To make matters worse there will probably be various other SAVs in evidence as well if they can remember where it is in their dotage :)

• Like 3

Public pilot briefing

Please see the public pilot briefing below for MSM;

Have fun
Please be patient as traffic levels are predicted to be very high, we will get you in/out as quick as possible
Please fly an aircraft that you know how to fly offline for example how to fly a hold with or without automation. (with the new VATSIM COC... https://vatsim.net/docs/policy/code-of-conduct )
Make sure you are squawking mode C (turn your transponder to mode ALT)
Please wait for a gap in the frequency before transmitting, only 1 station can transmit on the frequency at once. 

Please check the ATIS to find out which runway is in use, we will post which runway will be used at the beginning of each day. 
With the runway in use, please then file a correct SID… don’t trust simbrief.

• Like 3

I've just read the new CoC referred to above (it is basically an anti-pilot rant) and my meagre abilities on here after just 18 years may not comply with some of it so I'll have to be jolly careful next weekend :O

• Like 2

On 31/07/2022 at 13:27, Bill Casey said:

I've just read the new CoC referred to above (it is basically an anti-pilot rant) and my meagre abilities on here after just 18 years may not comply with some of it so I'll have to be jolly careful next weekend :O

Bill the CoC adjustments are not designed to be “anti-pilot” quite the opposite in-fact.

The changes are intended to prevent pilots logging into the network with no clue how to even fly the basics causing disruption to others on the network (including at major events)

Pilot ability has been an issue for a number of years and especially with MSFS making our hobby more available to new people to enjoy, but there has to be an understanding that pilots need to know how to fly their aircraft.

This doesn’t mean controllers and other pilots are going to be walloping people left right and centre there will be an expectation for people to utilise common sense before supervisors are going to be involved.

I’m sure you’ll be perfectly fine at the event.

3 hours ago, Andy Gaffney said:

I’m sure you’ll be perfectly fine at the event.

As long as he remembers to put the gear down before landing.

☺️

Andy

11 minutes ago, Luke Carter said:

I'll be there just before 12z! Can't wait - off to Mykonos with a few flying along too hopefully!

Looking forward to it 

Don't go to DK Oyster bar is a rip off 😜

Edited by Steve Riley
  • Like 1

Morning!

So I haven't actually controlled anything since October 2020, I jumped in on Radar for three hours or so; I was very, very busy!

Thanks to those that I spoke to who were patient and those that said I sounded like a robot; sorry! Not sure what that was about.

I must practice controlling more, I was a smidge rusty...

• Like 3

What a busy morning! We have been holding at GROVE and HON for most of the day so far, and the departure delays are well in excess of 30 minutes. We're trying to balance arrivals and departures to get you in and out as quick as you can.

For you departures, see if you can spot yourself on the image taken from the tower.

Oh, and the hotel has run out of Stella.

68148542275__52C56EA5-58D7-4A27-854A-056FD317BD75.fullsizerender.jpg

Edited by Henry Cleaver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Henry Cleaver said:

What a busy morning! We have been holding at GROVE and HON for most of the day so far, and the departure delays are well in excess of 30 minutes. We're trying to balance arrivals and departures to get you in and out as quick as you can.

Also holding CHASE, MCT and WELIN for a while.

The good news Stella has returned!

Phillip

• Like 2

Great work to everyone involved today, superbly handled the traffic with no panic, holds all nicely organised and utilised and emptied efficiently alongside the queues on the ground.

From my time in the two holds, approach then sitting on the ground after (as well as a quick OBS session!), the piloting standard was pretty good - when they responded to requests!  Please please please listen out for your callsign when the frequency is busy - the controller likely has a list of things to do and pilot's not answering can delay instructions going to someone that needs a specific turn etc.  Turn the background music/TV down a bit also - there were times I couldn't hear what a pilot was reading back or requesting, how does the controller feel?

Holds top tips (other than have the charts long before you get there and check the hold instructions out before you get told to hold!):

- know how to program a hold in your FMC.  Only needs three things - inbound course (from charts), direction of turn (from charts), length of legs (yes, surprise, from charts)
- check the max speed in the hold (from charts)
- when given a descent to next level, descend at an appropriate rate.  Min 500fpm with Max 1000fpm (unless asked to expedite) will help controllers get levels vacated safely and reduce the risk of level busts and TCAS RAs

And if it's your first time on the network - please think again...

• Like 3

Big fun as usual as the bestest event out there. Nice to see Kim Yong Un flying in from his holiday home and sterling service from Team Leader Stationery on Manchester; the RN on App were exemplary and I'll echo the above from Travor, listen for your callsign! 

First flight will be underway inside the hour but will anyone there have woken up by then? 

• Like 5