Jump to content

Lenny Colton
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some members may remember a gigantic and overdone little COVID project of mine called VATGlasses. Whilst the original tool is long gone, at this point, I am happy to announce that its successor has now been released! VATGlasses v2 is a dynamic sector map with a focus on ATC provision in the UK and Ireland. It provides:

  • Accurate sector boundaries (Area, Approach, and Tower)
  • The option to view sector boundaries at different levels
  • Details of the current ATC coverage for a sector
  • Details of an airport's current top-down controller

I'm currently maintaining a data set for the UK and Ireland. Unfortunately, I can't commit to expanding the coverage, but I'm happy to host editions for other countries if you provide me with a data set. You can try it out here if you're interested!

Edited by Lenny Colton
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking great! 

Just to nitpick on EGSC - when EGSS_APP or ESSEX_APP is on - they cover it top-down in absence of Cambridge Radar, so it should be them, not LON_CTR who are departure call.

image.png.28d1d6384e64eb06467e516f5129065d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lukas Jankauskas said:

Looking great! 

Just to nitpick on EGSC - when EGSS_APP or ESSEX_APP is on - they cover it top-down in absence of Cambridge Radar, so it should be them, not LON_CTR who are departure call.

image.png.28d1d6384e64eb06467e516f5129065d.png

Ah - this appears to have been caused by the new Essex sectors and callsigns (development started long before 2202 😉). I've pushed a fix.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Gant

Hi @Lenny Colton

Looking at EGCC right now, (GND & TWR, no APP) the CTR highlights when the FL slider is set to FL15 or below but not above that.  CAS extends up to 3500'.  Is this a bug?

Cheers

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen this and wondered if it's about the peculiarities of how TWR treats the CTR. It sort of is their airspace, but also they don't provide a full radar service, so might by why it doesn't highlight it in the same way as if an APP controller was online?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/09/2022 at 12:47, David Gant said:

Hi @Lenny Colton

Looking at EGCC right now, (GND & TWR, no APP) the CTR highlights when the FL slider is set to FL15 or below but not above that.  CAS extends up to 3500'.  Is this a bug?

Cheers

Dave

 

On 17/09/2022 at 13:10, James Hudgell said:

I've seen this and wondered if it's about the peculiarities of how TWR treats the CTR. It sort of is their airspace, but also they don't provide a full radar service, so might by why it doesn't highlight it in the same way as if an APP controller was online?

APP owns the CTR in its entirety (though the ATZ is delegated to TWR - this isn't shown because it would be a lot of work and also pointless since APP-TWR handoffs rarely follow the ATZ anyway).

If APP is offline, TWR covers the CTR and CTA below (but not at) 2000ft altitude, hence why only those levels light up.

 

Edited by Lenny Colton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/09/2022 at 11:34, Lenny Colton said:

 

APP owns the CTR in its entirety (though the ATZ is delegated to TWR - this isn't shown because it would be a lot of work and also pointless since APP-TWR handoffs rarely follow the ATZ anyway).

If APP is offline, TWR covers the CTR and CTA below (but not at) 2000ft altitude, hence why only those levels light up.

 

This is, of course, a much more precise way of articulating my thoughts!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...