Out of the loop - Where has UK ATC gone?

Alex Ridge
Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

I try and stay out of any Vatsim drama etc but I must say that I have noticed a significant decrease in UK ATC online over the last 1 - 2 months. 

I know restrictions are easing but it's the lack of area control that I have really noticed. 

During the beginning of the year it was common to see multiple London sectors online, with top down EGLL / EGKK fully staffed and it's becoming rarer and rarer these days.

Have I missed something here, I feel quite out of the loop. 

Cheers!

Edited by Alex Ridge
William Brushfield

Hiya Alex ! 

As a constant staffer of Gatwick Ground, I can confirm why !

In the months leading up to summer, public exam season starts. 15-16 year olds and 17-18 year olds begin public exams which count towards their overall grades. Furthermore, end of year university exams also take place during this time.

Further to public exams, end of year exams also take place in some schools, so studying is at a maximum!

As the majority of the staffers in the UK are within this age range, there becomes less and less time to control, as I have experienced (I have not controlled in 6 weeks, but I used to control at least 4 times a week previously) 

Furthermore, with lockdown easing in the UK, Evenings become less filled with controlling and more filled with downing your first pint in 2 years as pubs re-open!

Hope this answers your question!

Will

Charlie Watson

As Will has put nicely, this time of year is always very quiet. Coupling the normal lull, due to exams and holidays, with lifting of restrictions, it was bound that we would see a significant reduction of staffing on the network. 

After over a year of sitting at home controlling virtual planes, I think most people are a little burnt out and VATSIM (rightly so) has became one of the lowest priorities. 

Just a final note, pre-pandemic, London was not staffed anywhere near it was, probably even compared to this quiet period!

• Like 2
Adam Arkley

You'll likely find that as the Covid restrictions ease, people will be catching up on lost time. In the first half of last year when it wasn't uncommon to have London split 6 or 8 ways, it was because nobody else could go anywhere!

• Like 3

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Janet Kino
      By Janet Kino
      I was practicing checking flight plans, and for a flight from EGPH to EDDB I discovered something I don't understand.  I'm sure there is some special rule that covers it.  The non-UK portion of the route was LAMSO DCT EVELI DCT OSN L980 HLZ P12 BATEL T207 OGBER.  Validating the route through the NOP portal, if flown at FL300 down to FL260 (since cruising below FL260, once you leave UK airspace, is not allowed), you had to descend to FL240 or lower at HLZ to meet the requirements of P12, BUT if you flew above FL300 you until BATEL to start you descent.  What is special about FL300 over that portion of Europe?
    • John Pettit
      By John Pettit
      Westerly winds, no ATC online at EGLL, so which runway do we use?
      In the past I have always referred to the <Daytime Runway Aternation> programme for guidance [ see: https://www.heathrow.com/content/dam/heathrow/web/common/documents/company/local-community/noise/operations/runway-alternation/Runway_Alternation_Programme_2021.pdf]   or check EGLL NOTAMS for any temporary restrictions.
      However, many do not know of this alternation programme, and it seems to be a 'free for all'. Does Vatsim have any guidance here?
    • Ian Chalmers
      By Ian Chalmers
      Why do I get continuous ATIS in the New York area when all my radios are tuned to 118.00 and turned off apart from Comm1 which is on 122.800. Only VHF1 and Mic1 are selected yet I'm getting ATIS all the time which is a tad annoying. It goes away if I tune to anything other than Unicomm but comes back when 122.8 is reselected. Yes I can turn the volume down but then you can't keep a listening brief with that jabbering in your ear. 
    • John Pettit
      By John Pettit
      I have just flown EGLL to EGPD. Scottish Centre were on line. An aircraft (details available) was having difficulty obtaining clearance from Scottish on 'voice' comms. I was able to hear Scottish but unable to hear the aircraft, although Scottish were able, intermittently, to receive the aicraft on voice. This resulted in the following transmission via text from the aircraft:
      08:22:03 "Callsign" OK you can just ignore me while I try to get ifr clearance ima have a word with your supervisor and i have this all recorded on video of u ignoring me and ill be giving you a very bad review gday (text as sent - ed)
      I was on frequency and I did not hear ANY of the offended aircraft voice transmissions. It appears to me that the problem lay with that aircraft's equipment rather than with ATC. Nonetheless, the reply from the aircraft was totally out of order, and not in keeping with VatSim philosophy. He should be ashamed of his response. This is a hobby and we should all be tolerant of the mishaps of others when they occur.
      The end result was that ATC went offline to check his own equipment, but never came back. A loss to all concerned.
    • Jake Stabb
      By Jake Stabb
      Is anyone interested in Re-creating some sort of large scale military operation like ( eg , crimson warrior ) one evening if allowed of course