CTP Westbound 2021 - Scottish

Harry Sugden

Harry Sugden

Good morning! Scottish is actually the more complex of the two FIRs today, so there are a few things to talk about. Please read carefully.

668065317_CTPWest21-ScotlandnoLabels.thumb.png.b34b98193f2601a1e1b83924a3d05642.png

Flow/Route/Level Restrictions

Expect anything on the fly to be communicated to you before your slot. Please ensure that you include non-standard coordination or restrictions in any controller changeover. This will be integral to ensure smooth interaction with each other and our neighbours.

Confirmed restrictions:

• Traffic with intention code R1 exiting via MATIK (which will be traffic from EGCC & EHAM to KSFO) is level capped at FL310/320 - this is to enable an easier crossing in Reykjavik airspace, where they can expect to receive further climb.

Transatlantic Traffic from Non-Event Airfields

Effectively, someone else will handle this for you. But, it is important that you are 100% confident when covering an airfield top-down that approval for a transatlantic flight from a non-event airfield has been coordinated via the 'EGTT/EGPX Flow Coordinators' (and thus the ECFMP - the VATSIM European flow control unit responsible for non-event traffic this event).

For more information, please see here:

The Flow Coordinators will spot any plane wishing to fly transatlantic and communicate with the area controller covering top-down (if there is no ADC/APC coverage) when the route/slot time has been approved. If you are unsure, please reach out to 'FC North' for Scottish airfields - EGTT_N_DEL.

Adjacent Unit Sectorisation

There is nothing abnormal about Shannon/Amsterdam/MUAC/Copenhagen.

Polaris

Sector 15's ownership order is amended slightly. When both ENSV_N_CTR and ENSV_CTR are online, ENSV_CTR shall have priority - this is different to our sector file. This will only matter for eastbound traffic, but please do refer to the amended Agreed Levels Diagram for ScAC North below.

Reykjavik

Note that the vertical split for BIRD South and East differs. This is, however, reflected in both the sector file and on the amended Agreed Levels Diagram.

Two other important things:

1. A portion of EGGX has been delegated to BIRD - this means that traffic via ATSIX with intention code Y7 will actually be requesting Oceanic clearance from Iceland (via natTRAK) and will need to be transferred to the relevant BIRD South sector at or before ATSIX.
  2. Traffic via RATSU with intention code R should be transferred directly to BIRD South for CTP only - the 2021/04 sector file has ownership to reflect this.

Top-Down

For the duration of the event, and until otherwise communicated, the top-down service at Aberdeen/Dyce (EGPD) shall be provided by the ScAC North controller (i.e. not ScAC South). This reflects the fact we have some visitors helping us out today!

Other Notes

Scottish is likely to be busiest. Don't be afraid to degrade top-down service to the bare minimum where necessary, but look out for any transatlantic traffic on the ground that you must make sure has been coordinated.

Edited by Harry Sugden

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Robert Terrace
      By Robert Terrace
      This has been posted elsewhere on VATUK and the Vatsim.net discussion, but, I thought I'd post it here for completeness.
      ------------
      One for all those involved in controlling today.

Today was my first CTP as a controller, and, despite the uncertainty I felt coming into it, I enjoyed it. 
      From the briefings that have been held through the past few days to familiarise those unsure of things with procedures, to the general atmosphere within the coordination rooms, everything has been great. 

I know those at the top end will have been under a great deal of pressure, but, I feel it was working well.

I started the day on a non event airfield in the UK (Glasgow) and the Oceanic Clearances I had to get were dealt with quickly by the Flow Controller (it helped that at that point I could discuss the process going on with the controller, and this helped me understand it more). 
      The pilots I spoke to at Glasgow were all appreciative of the efforts others were making, and this seemed to be the case as well at Manchester when I was on Ground this afternoon). 
      The support from other controllers was readily available and appreciated, and this made my experience better.
      I was told of one pilot who had a bit of a tantrum when he found out he couldn't change his callsign and had lost his slot, and decided to have a bit of a moan about the entire process. I know he's a streamer, and having watched it back, all he does is badmouth Vatsim and the processes for CTP, but, thats not for me to get involved in.
      Anyway, thanks to those in charge and the other guys for the experience today. Hopefully, but the time eastbound comes around, I'll have my S2 and can play even more of a part.
    • Harry Sugden
      By Harry Sugden
      It's CTP time again - wahey! Rest assured, this time there shouldn't be the ridiculous non-event madness we saw for the last westbound event. Phew. Any questions, fire over a message!

Flow/Route/Level Restrictions
      Expect anything on the fly to be communicated to you before your slot. Please ensure that you include non-standard coordination or restrictions in any controller changeover. This will be integral to ensure smooth interaction with each other and our neighbours. To be expected are:
      Level cap for eastbound traffic from LTMA into EHAM of FL210 (in case we have the capacity to split TC East off Clacton) Level cap for westbound traffic from EHAM into the LTMA of FL200 (for the same reason) Non-event restrictions... Transatlantic Traffic from Non-Event Airfields
      Effectively, someone else will handle this for you. But, it is important that you are 100% confident when covering an airfield top-down that approval for a transatlantic flight from a non-event airfield has been coordinated via the 'EGTT Flow Coordinators' (and thus the ECFMP - the VATSIM European flow control unit responsible for non-event traffic this event).
      For more information, please see here:
      The exact workflow will be confirmed to you tomorrow, but it is hoped that the Flow Coordinators will spot any plane wishing to fly transatlantic and communicate with the area controller covering top-down (if there is no ADC/APC coverage) when the route/slot time has been approved. If you are unsure, please reach out to either 'FC North' or 'FC South', according to the departure aerodrome (see the above post for coverage).
      Adjacent Unit Sectorisation
      There should be absolutely nothing abnormal in terms of our neighbours' sectorisation. French sectorisation will be as documented in the vMATS and on Agreed Levels Diagrams; Shannon will be using their permanently published sectors. If anything abnormal arises, you will be informed.

West
      We will be operating a 2-way split during peak times, which we have become used to in recent events. See this post for details:
      The only non-standard thing about West tomorrow will be some EGCC departures routing via NOKIN, and making a reasonably sharp right hand turn at DOBEM to then head west via DIKAS to EVRIN. There are 15 planes via this route across 5 hours, so don't fret too much. Otherwise, it'll be a reasonably standard west flow. The only thing to be aware of is that LUS interfaces with both the Exmoor and Pembroke parts of West to the east - see this post (Figure 1) for a diagram, but this will be reflected in the sector file if you updated to 2021/04. 

North
      North is likely to be the busiest of the London sectors tomorrow. We plan to split it 3 ways - PC PENIL (covering MTMA departures to the west), PC Bandbox (covering PC East, and 'Sector 29', which is 195-285 over the Manchester area), and AC North (covering both Lakes and North Sea).
      Please read the Temporary Instruction for PC PENIL:
      We don't - at present - plan to split off North Sea, but if we do, then a Temporary Instruction is also posted for this position HERE.
      Note! EGCC departures via POL-RIBEL generally need to reach FL260 in time to avoid ScTMA airspace and be transferred straight to Deancross. We don't plan to split the Scottish TMA off from the Deancross controller tomorrow, but if we do - then please ensure that traffic is coordinated with the ScTMA controller if it can't climb high enough.

Central
      We plan only to split this Daventry/Clacton. Daventry is likely to be very quiet event traffic wise, but it of course has all of the top-down. Look out for any rogue non-event planes trying their luck flying transatlantic!
      As noted above, EHAM <-> LTMA traffic will be level capped where it is useful for the traffic flow/any extra splits we open up.
      Similar to West, it's important to be aware of the LUS sector that borders Daventry and Clacton at FL305+. This affects RFD for MTMA inbounds that usually come from Dover. Read the Temporary Instruction HERE.

South
      AC South and TC South will be split throughout, but look out for the extra LUS controller stealing the high-level airspace over London! The Temporary Instruction outlines the airspace that LUS will cover:
      Some non-standard French sectors will likely be online. They are fully reflected in the sector file (2021/04), but just note that LTMA departures via SITET/XAMAB should be transferred at a maximum level of 290 now, in accordance with the new LoA. The traffic is RFC within the La Manche Release Area, even into LUS's airspace.
    • Loui Ringer
      By Loui Ringer
      Evening,
      As you may know Cross The Pond Eastbound 2017 is on Saturday 14th October. As a division we are looking for controllers who are interested in controlling oceanic airspace. Those interested will get fast-tracked through the visiting system. If you are interested please Visit https://vatsim.uk/visit-transfer/
    • Andy Ford
      By Andy Ford
      Morning All,
      As most of you are aware it's Cross The Pond today and therefore we're expecting a very large volume of traffic to traverse the EGTT and EGPX FIRs.
      If anyone is able to log on to provide supporting control at non-event airfields and reduce the top-down workload for the CTR controllers, their assistance would be much appreciated. Any bookings should go via the CT System as normal.
      The key areas to cover are the London, Scottish and Manchester TMAs.
      Thanks!
    • Luke Collister
      By Luke Collister
      Hi all,
      As you may or may not have noticed, there are 3 CTP group sessions setup (the first one starting tomorrow). If you want to control during CTP, it is strongly recommended that you attend one of these sessions. All 3 sessions are exactly the same, so unless you like listening to me bore you, don't come to more than one. 
      We will be reviewing CTP specifics including "Manchester Planner", with a short practical demonstration to assist understanding of slot times and how it all links.
      To summarise, the 3 sessions are:
      Tuesday 14th 20-21z Saturday 18th 21-22z Wednesday 22nd 20-21z I hope to see you there!

Thanks,
      Luke

P.S 
      No idea where this is meant to go, sorry