URL for Flight Training Exercises

Jeremy Kent

Dear all,

I am new to VATSIM and would like to complete some of the Flight Training Exercises. However, I'm on a Mac and so can't use the recommended smartCARS application. A kind person has written a MacOS app but I still need the URL to connect to, described as "the URL to the smartCARS frames.php or the URL with the vAMSYS VA-UUID". Can anyone provide this please?

Kind regards,

Jez

Jeremy Kent

Thank you Alex. I've just logged in with my VATSIM ID and 'secondary password' (set up on VATSIM UK) and... success, I can see my bookings! Too late for me to do a flight now I'm afraid, but I'll have a proper go tomorrow and report back.

Fingers crossed this is good news for us minority Mac users!

Kind regards,

Jez

Jeremy Kent
Posted (edited)

Dear Alex,

I've just completed FTE 5 - "Pasty Time" - and seem to have successfully logged the flight here at VATSIM UK via the Bellerophon smartCARS app on my Mac. Perhaps you could review it and check if it worked 100% at your end?

Looking at the flight details it only shows the target flight path on the map, not the actual, but still indicates that I passed with the correct date, landing rate and flight time.

'Looking forward to trying some of the other Flight Training Exercises as I found 'having to follow a plan' very enjoyable and learnt lots in the process.

Kind regards,

Jez

Screenshot 2021-04-27 at 12.52.24.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Kent
Alex Toff

Hi Jeremy,

Good to know it worked for you. It looks like we didn't receive any posreps from your smartcars client, so this is why your track doesn't show unfortunately - this  is likely an issue with the ported smartcars client and not something we can fix.

Have fun with the other exercises!

Jeremy Kent

Hi Alex,

I'm in contact with the smartcars developer. He's confirmed that his app does send position reports and has had no problems with other virtual airlines etc. The developer has asked if you can confirm the format expected, please?

Everything else seems to be working, so it would be great if we could sort this.

With thanks,

Jez

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Steve Bootes
      By Steve Bootes
      I was flying IFR into EGPN Dundee today (from EGLC London City) and Scottish Control was online.  Somewhere around EGPH I received the communication "leaving controlled airspace - deconfliction-only service" (or something very similar to that).
      I'd never come across this before and wasn't quite sure what it meant - the frequency was a little busy so didn't want to query it there and then (first mistake).  Then I assumed "leaving controlled airspace" meant own navigation and proceeded to descend without authorisation (second mistake).  I soon figured out that I was very much under control so halted quickly, but was and still am a little confused.
      So, can I ask exactly what this phrasing means? (I'm assuming it's that I'm not on radar so will need to report my position, but perhaps someone can confirm).
      What is the correct response when I'm given that information?
      Assuming I'm landing at EGPN, is everything else the same in terms of top-down control? SCO_CTR still need to give landing clearances, taxi clearances etc? Is it just that they don't know my position?
      Thanks.

• Oliver Rhodes
      By Oliver Rhodes
      But Time, to make me grieve,
      Part steals, lets part abide;
      And shakes this fragile frame at eve
      With throbbings of noontide.
      - Thomas Hardy, I Look into my Glass
      At 1am on Sunday 28th March the clocks will advance one hour. This means that 1am will immediately become 2am.
      Times on VATSIM are always given in UTC, so if you are in the UK you will need to convert from BST/UK local time to UTC/z time by taking off one hour:
      19:00 UK local time -> 18:00z 22:30 UK local time -> 21:30z 01:00 UK local time -> 00:00z Please be mindful of this when entering availability into, or accepting sessions from, the CT System.
    • Graham Drabble
      By Graham Drabble
      Hi,

Anyone able to help me better understand the SRD spreadsheet and which rows would be more/ less preferred when multiple rows exist? Both from a what makes life work well for VatSim controllers and how does this work IRL.
      An example, currently looking at EGNX->ELLX
      Looks like I'd want to exit the FIR at either KONAN or VABIK so into the SRD we go. Lets ignore the very low level options we have (Jan AIRAC version of the SRD)
      "DTY    155    245    M605 BENSU Q70 BIG L9    KONAN    "
      "DTY    245    660    M605 BENSU Q70 BIG UL9    KONAN    Notes: 117"
      "DTY    245    660    M605 BENSU Q70 BIG UL9    KONAN    Notes: 117"
      "DTY    155    245    M605 BENSU Q70    VABIK    "
      "DTY    245    295    M605 BENSU Q70    VABIK    "
      I get the difference between the first two rows, L9 becomes the UL9 above FL245 (with UL9 only being available eastbound whereas L9is bidirectional).
      The next two KONAN rows appear to be duplicates? Is that right? Wouldn't expect that in an official doc such as this but maybe?
      Looking then at the VABIK rows. Is there anything to be read into the fact these are split out rather than just being one line
      "DTY    155    295    M605 BENSU Q70    VABIK    "
      makes me feel there's something special about being above/below FL245 that I've missed?
      Finally Note 117 states that FL250 isn't available on L607 east of KONAN. No similar note exists for the Q70 east of VABIK. Is that actually allowed? Looking at the routes I can't quite work out what would clash with using the L607 but not clash with something filed along Q70
      So I guess the questions are
      Is there a right one to pick? How would one tell?
    • Terry Beddoes
      By Terry Beddoes
      Hi, di any smaller airports in UK hold training sessions.
      I used to fly online regularly with VATSIM and BA Virtual about 12-15 years ago, but, circumstances changed and I stopped swimming.
      I've been loitering at EGCC for a couple of days listening to Ground, Approavh and London Control.
      But, I could do with somewhere like EGGP to start
      Also, I've noticed in the FBW A320 NX it is not possible to tune to certain frequencies,  how do I get onto those?
      Regards
      Terry Beddoes

• Jake Stabb
      By Jake Stabb
      Is anyone interested in Re-creating some sort of large scale military operation like ( eg , crimson warrior ) one evening if allowed of course