Resource Suggestions

Darren Hill

Hi all!

We're looking to expand the Resources section of the GA Club and we'd like to hear what you guys want to see! If its GA-related, we'll look at getting it done! Currently in the works (very close to release) is a VFR Phraseology Guide.

If you would like to write about a topic, which I have seen some people express interest for previously, get in touch and I'll have a look at it 🙂 .

Also let us know if you would like to have certain topics expanded on!

Safe landings,

Edited by Darren Hill

Gary Crofield

Suggestions: how do you tell which VATSIM controller is responsible for which pieces of airspace? How far out should you contact an APP controller for a transit?

Overhead joins, how they're done from differing angles.

LARS, what it is, how it works and what it can do for you.

Where to find VATSIM specific VFR information like aerodrome-specific procedures. Does every airfield we simulate follow the real-world AIP or do we have differences?

Is there scope for linking up with CIX VFR Club maybe? Their resources are fantastic but some are quite dated now. Might be worth checking this doesn't overlap with theirs.

• Like 4

I am happy to help with writing up resources, specifically for the LARS + Controlled airspace stuff for pilots. Also was thinking about something like a flight planning guide or tutorial series, the scope of which could be rather big but im more than happy to contribute with it. Just let me know what you think and how I can help 😀

• Like 1

Richard Schunemann

Newbies are, by definition, GA/VFR pilots. I am sure all the experienced guys out there flying IFR airliners and volunteering their time running ATC will relate to how daunting it feels when you start out as there is soooo much to learn -on your own- to the point where you can actually get to understand what the right questions are and researching the answers.

It is not just learning how to use your SIM, fly your aircraft and airmanship, it is getting to grips with phraseology, how ATC relates to the different phases of your flight and how it all meshes together.

The Pilot Scheme is a fantastic idea, but it takes a long time to get "tutored". And it is this gap that I would suggest is worth looking at.

To get more newbies to a point where they can actually understand what they need to learn, I would suggest setting up a few regular sessions with experienced pilots and ATC staff to actually go out flying sharing their screens and audio -imagine Zoom or Teams- starting first with Touch and Goes, then short VFR circuits around close by VRPs, explaining GND, TWR, APP/RADAR/DTOR comms and then flying from one controlled airport through different controlled airspaces to another controlled airport. It could be great fun for everyone and actually be a very "social" activity.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

So far I've added:

• LARS

to my to-do list.

20 hours ago, Richard Schunemann said:

Newbies are, by definition, GA/VFR pilots. I am sure all the experienced guys out there flying IFR airliners and volunteering their time running ATC will relate to how daunting it feels when you start out as there is soooo much to learn -on your own- to the point where you can actually get to understand what the right questions are and researching the answers.

It is not just learning how to use your SIM, fly your aircraft and airmanship, it is getting to grips with phraseology, how ATC relates to the different phases of your flight and how it all meshes together.

The Pilot Scheme is a fantastic idea, but it takes a long time to get "tutored". And it is this gap that I would suggest is worth looking at.

To get more newbies to a point where they can actually understand what they need to learn, I would suggest setting up a few regular sessions with experienced pilots and ATC staff to actually go out flying sharing their screens and audio -imagine Zoom or Teams- starting first with Touch and Goes, then short VFR circuits around close by VRPs, explaining GND, TWR, APP/RADAR/DTOR comms and then flying from one controlled airport through different controlled airspaces to another controlled airport. It could be great fun for everyone and actually be a very "social" activity.

We are definitely looking into this, so expect further developments soon 🙂

• Like 1