How to/Why Use vSMR

Luke Brown

With the 2020/13 release, the UK controller pack now includes vSMR as the default for all the SMR screens.

vSMR is a plugin for EuroScope by @Pierre Ferran It's been about for many years, with many users in the UK already adopting it. The vSMR wiki provides a good amount of info on the plugin's operation. I'm only going to cover the stuff to get you going here.
This adds huge functionality, readability and realism for everyone. The best bit is it's all set up, you have to do nothing!

To explain a few things that are obviously different from the previous setup:

Tags

The default tags that were previously used were basic, but served their purpose. (Did you ever actually double click on arrivals to turn them orange?) The vSMR tags are blue for departures, red for arrivals. Dependant on the profile being used, will display different information.

Profiles

I've included 3 profiles which are accesible through the menu shown below.
image.png.5919ba52a0e1d9810785f21376209f2d.png

Default - No realistic code/callsign conversion & departure runway/aircraft type shown.

image.png.470d345ad6ce443bcacd2a8c64275772.png

Heathrow - Based on the R/W LHR display - realistic code/callsign conversion

image.png.83ed21b898ae9026193a0215adcca1b9.png

Professional Mode - A different font, keeping the realistic correlation

image.png.8c316790bcaf053cc5fed11672eb9277.png
Again, these are user selectable, so pick whichever one you like. The realistic correlation feature can be really good for busy events like CTP to de-clutter the screen.

The other features that vSMR brings I will leave to the wiki, as it explains it much better than I could, so download the pack, have a play and let me know what you think.

Over the next few AIRAC cycles you can expect more functionality added, so please try to keep yourself up to date with what's going on!

Cheers,

Luke

Edited by Luke Brown
spelling