Event Suggestions

Darren Hill

Hi all!

With the restructuring of the Club, we are bringing back some GA events!!!!

500317342_Cessna_172SP-2020-07-2511_12_08.thumb.png.f194fef2a27a12c046dbb8c5f74db8c6.png

What are we looking for?
We want to know what you guys want to see on the general aviation stage! Suggestions can range from informal staff-ups all the way to periodic, formal events. I will pass suggestions on to the marketing team and will create periodic polls for the next event!

Fly out of places that is not just the most popular GA airfields such as Shoreham or Barton; so many great airfields around the UK. Scottish highlands to highlight. 

Edited by Lewis Hammett
  • Like 2

David Waterman

Exciting! I was going to suggest this one in the next round of main events.

"The Scenic South Coast" Lydd to Lands End with options for stopping and to traverse the Solent airspace as well. I have a route somewhere, but ping me for that as I'm not sure where the bit of paper is I wrote it on...

"Sunday Funday" or "Weekend Warriors" Staff up a airfield like EGBJ and fill it with VFR circuits and local flying around just like what happens normally on a Sunday in those areas.

• Like 1

LARs staff ups + FISO staff ups are always fun and appriciate. Could potentially do a UK tour of some sort with certain legs staffed (eg one day a week, the leg is staffed for a certain time) 

Im happy with anything VFR lol

• Like 1

Callum Seabrook

I've been a part of an old FSX community for just over a year now, and every Sunday, they have this event called "Cessna Sunday", where everyone in the community comes together and only flys the Cessna 172 on pre-planned hops around a specific country. It's really fun and engaging, and we could probably do something similar, where we all get together in the same aircraft and just fly on pre-planned hops around the UK that can be suggested by members of the club. Also, having these airports staffed up with either A/G or AFIS operators, depending on the airport, would be really nice, not only for the pilots, but for controllers, as most S1's especially get their A/G and AFIS endorsement and then can't really do much with it as there's not enough traffic.

If anyone has anything they think could be done to improve the experience, I'm open to suggestions.

An afternoon where FISO/AG fields are staffed with some LARS units online also. Think this may give people the option to fly to lots of different airfields rather than having a set routing that everybody would follow.

Would be nice to have london/scottish info online also.

• Like 1

Perhaps emulating MWM is the way to go? A weekly VFR/GA night and then once a month something a bit more unique (akin to the MWM "away" night at the end of the month). In terms of the monthly "special" you could have:

Fairly niche (but definitely growing in number) - London helicopter event with Battersea/Falcon/Ascot heliports open, Farnborough LARS + Thames.

Business jet event - Biggin/Farnborough/Northolt (perhaps a city pair event with somewhere like Geneva or Zurich?).

IFR "training" night - opening up the places you'd actually visit in a DA42 when you do your MEIR in the UK - Oxford/Gloucester/Cranfield/Cambridge or Shoreham/Lydd/Biggin/Southend.

The idea being that because it's a regular thing, people remember it's happening, and you actually get traffic (which is often what is lacking in our previous GA events 😅)

Edited by Chad Byworth
  • Like 1

Thames Friday, that used to be quite good fun a few years ago.

They used to get CIX involved, bimbling along the South coast; LARS, Shoreham, Biggin Hill, Redhill, Stapleford etc, all used to light up.

Or, point to point, similar to other events. Shoreham > Le Touquet, Biggin Hill > Gamston, Gloucester > Barton, Blackpool > Cumbernauld. Can get plenty of coverage and plenty of traffic with the likes of CIX involved. Even more so with the detail of MS2020 currently being geared for more VFR.

Edited by Harry Downton
grammar
  • Like 3

Martin Lawrence

something for the newer pilots to where they could do practice circuits or short hop training flights away from the busier ifr airports like you would training possibly 

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 16:39, Chad Byworth said:

Fairly niche (but definitely growing in number) - London helicopter event with Battersea/Falcon/Ascot heliports open, Farnborough LARS + Thames.

+1 for the helicopter event :)

• Like 1

On 22/11/2020 at 19:26, Martin Lawrence said:

something for the newer pilots to where they could do practice circuits or short hop training flights away from the busier ifr airports

+1

I'm a member of an established UK VFR club and have had chats with quite a few new members who wanted to try Vatsim but were rather bewildered about how it all works and what they are supposed to do.  Low-key events, especially with someone online for help and advice as needed would seem very valuable to me.

+1 also to the idea of using AFISO aerodromes, though that in itself can be a new and confusing extra thing to learn (I gather Vatsim doesn't do AGO?).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, David Gant said:

+1

I'm a member of an established UK VFR club and have had chats with quite a few new members who wanted to try Vatsim but were rather bewildered about how it all works and what they are supposed to do.  Low-key events, especially with someone online for help and advice as needed would seem very valuable to me.

+1 also to the idea of using AFISO aerodromes, though that in itself can be a new and confusing extra thing to learn (I gather Vatsim doesn't do AGO?).

I've thought for a long time that VATSIM needs a sandbox. Somewhere where pilots and/or controllers can go to practice where they won't get in anyone's way - so they can repeatedly practice the stand -> flight and landing and parking, or whatever, and the whole system is more relaxed, and pilots and controllers can be expected to make mistakes. Obviously you can practice this on sims offline with the provided ATC, but that's not the same.

Occasionally qualified controllers could go there to act as sort of online tutors - they do this when its quiet anyway, but it would be more explicit, just so you don't get too many reinforcement errors 🙂

It would have to be out of the way. EGSH (Norwich) near me might suit, as I've never seen it staffed, it's easy to find and has one runway running perfectly east west, and it's nowhere near anywhere else.

Edited by Paul Robson

Richard Dockerill

I like the idea of Norwich as well actually, and despite need clearance for the AF itself, there's a lot of strips outside and plenty of Class G. Stansted is close by as well. Some great practice for VRPs and MATZ penetration as well to the south-west. It would be great to have a couple of dedicated days a month if we could rope in some ATC to manage Norwich Tower.

Also some great references for Norwich airport VFR flying

VRP map: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2019-05-23-AIRAC/graphics/97353.pdf

Norwich airport's airspace guide: https://www.norwichairport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Norwich-Airport-Class-D-Airspace-Pilots-Guide-v5.0.pdf 

On 01/12/2020 at 16:59, David Gant said:

+1

I think you're the same club as me (CIX ?).  I think you need to be able to cheat as well. So if on our Tuesday flights say you get confused about the overhead join like I did last week, you could read it up, slew back far enough out of the way so it seems like a new approach, and try it again. Likewise at take off, you could file a plan, but if you wanted to practice ATC comms on take off, just reset the flight once you are out of ATC and try it again. 

It would also be great practice for ATC trainees once they were past the initial steps, because hopefully everyone would be more tolerant of mistakes (our ATC is  very good at this)

On 01/12/2020 at 16:59, David Gant said:

I've flown out of EGNY Beverley/Linley Hill a couple of times when EGNY_R_TWR has been online as AGO. The combination of being well away from controlled airspace and it being quite late in the evening and therefore quiet with no other traffic to worry about - for a novice, it's been brilliant 🙂