atc-discussion CTP Eastbound 2020 - The Plan

Kieran Hardern

Kieran Hardern

Welcome to another round of CTP 'fun'. Below is the roster, as always it is subject to some last minute change and no doubt we'll have to move people around during the carnage. The standby slots I'm already planning to use to split the busy areas, so please expect to be controlling in that slot. I just don't have enough people to rota both the splits I'm expecting to need, so we'll be doing it on the fly.

Roster: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jIUOdXiRIdfkOBFFNfnVEbbOVLh5ZbqhGkE0BN31GfM/edit#gid=1988071459

Here is the London diagram should you wish to get an overview of what's going where.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1EfKxf2Dq7ylma8TYY_-MuHa_VEiDkzMH6qxQyoLnvPU/edit

Coordination

On the day, please be in TS. I'll be there, and on discord, where I'll be in contact with the ops teams of the surrounding sectors. I'll also be online as LON__CTR through the day. Please let me know early if there are any problems.

Unusual Instructions

• MDI from all LTMA airfields to Dublin will be 10 minutes. If covering a TC sector, please tell your tower controllers
  • I am hoping to agree an MDI from EHAM to LL... watch this space.
  • For traffic between Scottish/West and Shannon, Shannon will be using 340, 360, 380 and 400 as eastbound levels. Westbound traffic should remain at FL300 or 320 only (or electronic coord)

South:

Will be split in 3 for most of the event. TC SW, Worthing and Dover.

TC SW: will be handling traffic via HAZEL and BEDEK to the OCK stack. Please do not bandbox TC South unless instructed to. Relief callsign LTC_S2. Quick action is needed to initiate holding in Worthing or Sector 23 (which will by default by Pembroke sector - i.e. the north half of west, for most of the event unless we get very busy in which case we'll open a sector 23). You can stack swap from OCK to BIG via OCK1Z (routes OCK, DORKI, HILLY, BIG), however it requires the pilots to turn the wrong way towards BIG to enter the hold and I bet many will do it wrong. I suggest you try to avoid using that and instead choose to hold at OKESI which is much easier to sequence.

Worthing: Primary role will be to stream traffic to TC SW via OTMET1H. Holding should be initiated at BILNI if required (107 left; FL200-300). Non-event traffic coming via ROXOG1H should be held in preference to event traffic. This can happen at KATHY (040 L; FL160-190) or DOMUT (040 R; FL230+). You also have to cross traffic to EHAM with traffic from CPT->KONAN enroute to LSZH. Where any conflict exists, simply descend the EHAM traffic underneath to the next available odd level. Dover also has a stream to KONAN coming to them from Daventry, therefore it is helpful for traffic going to them bound for Clacton airspace to get them sooner than later. Again if you spot a conflict, descend the EHAM traffic.

Dover: Will be covering TC SE top-down by default. This sector is designed to allow Worthing/TCSW to focus on Heathrow. Event traffic via this sector is EHAM traffic from Worthing (MID KOBBI REDFA) vs 2 streams to KONAN from Worthing (INBOK KONAN) and from Daventry (AMPIT BIG KONAN). You are hopefully going to be less busy than Worthing, therefore looking out early for conflicts to EHAM and sending them an electronic coord to a lower (odd) level will be helpful. Any traffic into Heathrow via BIG should be instructed to hold at BIG before transfer to INT South. Do not accept EGKK to EGLL flights (if they insist, it waits on stand until there is no holding).

Central

Will be split into Daventry, Clacton and TC North for the entire event.

TC North: will predominantly be handling traffic to BNN. Holding can occur at WCO (154 L; FL160+), however these very quickly stray into Daventry's levels after FL170 and would require you to suspend the FL150 SOPIT agreement. Above FL215 is Worthing's airspace.

Daventry: will be streaming Heathrow traffic downt he DTY corridor. Enroute holding is at HON (Right 143; FL200+ - left hand below 200). Stack swaps are unlikely to be of help, however the TOBID 1X (TOBID, WOD, OCK) is available. We'll run out of space quite quickly here if we hold too much, so our tactic will be for Scottish to be slowing the Heathrow traffic down early when we start getting busy. If there is significant holding at BNN, consider reducing the speed of all your descending traffic early. North is crossing a lot of traffic. For departures up the corridor, please consider only climbing to FL300 initially and using electronic coordination to coord that or FL320 if they can easily make it (and be level) before North's boundary. Don't give north traffic climbing through lots of levels.

Clacton: Will manage a small number of EHAM inbounds via REDFA. However most of workload will be non-event traffic, that is likely to be a significant amount. If TC North is holding at BNN, slow LOGAN traffic straight away.

North

WIll be split into Lakes, North Sea and PC.

PC: will be providing support to the busy Lakes sector. Please apply a 10 minute MDI for EGCC->EIDW.

North Sea: will have some cruising traffic and 2 streams to EHAM from ScAC South and Lakes. Nothing much other than line them up for DIBAL.

Lakes: will be busy with Heathrow traffic crossing the west->east traffic from LIFFY/DEXEN. The Shannon are not going to be giving you LIFFY/DEXEN traffic on even levels like in West/Scottish, therefore make early use of even levels for your Heathrow traffic. Try to commence sequencing for Daventry as they are likely to be very busy. The Daventry brief reminds to try not to hand over traffic still climbing by the time it hits your sector, therefore you may expect more electronic coord for corridor traffic at 300 or 320.

West

Will function as 2 sectors for most of the event. This uses our new West splits that went into the sector file last AIRAC. The primary sector to the South will remain "AC West". The Northern half of the sector is named "Pembroke". If holding becomes significant we will add a Sector 23. See the split post for information, which also includes some level diagrams of the Pembroke/S23 splits.

Pembroke: 1 overflying route via CPT and KONAN. Most of workload will be combining traffic from BAKUR and EVRIN towards OKESI/BEDEK for the BEDEK1H. Holding at OKESI (102 L; all levels), often useful to start at FL180. If you start significant holding at OKESI, please prompt me if I haven't already seen and start slowing your earlier traffic. I will coordinate with Ireland to start slowing traffic for you in advance of your sector. Note handoffs to Ireland are not their standard sectors (see below). I will have my eye on this sector as a possibility of need to split off a S23.

West: East->West routes with traffic via OTMET to Heathrow and overflights towards SAM. We have routed the Heathrows slightly south to allow you to descend them under the cruising traffic without having to vector them. Be aware that holding on OTMET1H happens very close to your boundary at BILNI up to FL300. If BILNI holding is happening, please slow your inbounds to EGLL. It may be tempting to coordinate early directs for the traffic routing SAM->MID->CLN, however it is difficult for Worthing to spot conflicts via CPT and very early directs might not give them much time after they are transferred; therefore try to delay a bit, or vector left of track. The danger with this sector is frequency burden, not complexity, especially if significant non-event traffic tries to fly to Heathrow. 

Scottish

WIll be busy. Splits are planned as ScAC South, DeanCross and Bandbox. We may change this or re-split based on the workload of the primary sector and likely this will be moving Deancross to Rathlin.

Deancross: Be on lookout for Heathrow traffic from the north crossing all your event steams. If Heathrow starts enroute holding, we will be asking you to slow Heathrow traffic down in your sector. If not busy enough to split, ScAC South will cover Deancross when offline.

ScAC South: Mostly handling cruising traffic off to Amsterdam. 1 stream from the north to merge at LONAM. Non-event to Amsterdam should plan to TOPPA via your sector. If we need to re-plan sectors, ScAC South will stay open and covers Deancross top-down.

Bandbox: Initially you will receive a lot of traffic into your sector, but you only have to cross a small number taking a strange route via ATSIX to Dublin (descending it underneath will work well). Traffic volume will be high, but workload for traffic should be low. Towards the middle of the event this sector might need to be split again, if so we will be putting a Rathlin on. If you are struggling, please let me know. If Heathrow starts enroute holding, we will ask you to start slowing Heathrow traffic in your sector.

Shannon

Shannon have published non-standard sectors. The agreed levels diagrams created for the event (West splits) have the correct frequencies on them for CTP.

High level sectors are called "Super". Green frequency covers the red controller if they don't exist. Notice they have split their BANBA sector between LIFFY and SOTA. Therefore:

North of BANBA:

• 136.250 EISN_0_CTR above 355
  • 132.150 EISN_E_CTR below 355 (note non-standard frequency)
  • Dublin as normal

South of BANBA:

• If online EISN_6_CTR 134.625 covering 355+
  • If online EISN_S_CTR 135.600 covering 355- (and above if 6 isn't online)
  • If both not online, 120.050 (EISN_W_CTR)
  • If all 3 not online then LIFFY frequencies.

EISN_CTP_Eastbound_2020___Shannon_Diagra

Stavanger

Don't forget to call them Polaris Control!

The ENSV_CTR 120.650 frequency boundary has shifted north. In other words, hand all traffic to this controller and none to North.

unknown.png?width=615&height=671

Reykjavik

Rejkjavik frequencies are based off levels. Their "East" sector is the only one that will interact with the Scottish northern border. They have not yet set their level boundaries, so I'll update this when they do, but their controllers are:

BIRD_4_CTR ("East 1") - 126.75 (low levels), first logon

BIRD_5_CTR ("East 2") - 132.300 (high levels)

Edited by Kieran Hardern
Samuel James

Excited as always - here to help when I can and already am - big thanks Kieran and team for putting all the hard work in and putting the super helpful gen together. Should be 'fun' 😄

• Like 1
Stuart Duncan

Well, I've just closed up for the evening, and what bloody good fun that was..

I can't speak for LON or LL, but SCO in it's various guises seemed to go quite swimmingly.  Thanks to Matt, Luke, Fraser, Gregg, Harry and Kieran for performing their controlling, organisational and supervisory duties to the highest of standards.

'Til next time,

S.. 

Edited by Stuart Duncan
  • Like 3