Mac user, ATC client

Tom Maskell

Tom Maskell

Hi All

It's been about 8 years since I used VATSIM and when I did it was mainly as a pilot but did get my S1 done. These days I just have access to Macs at home, no windows devices. I'm wondering if there are any ATC clients that support Mac OS? I know one option would be to create a virtual machine and run Euroscope on, but my Mac is a baseline MacBook so not sure it's got the grunt really and would just crash from experiences trying to run other VM's in the past.

Any help would be appreciated

Tom

Keanu Czirjak

We use EuroScope in the UK and it isn't natively supported for Mac/Linux. However, I know a few Mac/Linux users who have managed to run EuroScope, AFV and etc on Wine without issues, so you may want to look into that.

Tom Maskell

In case anyone searches this in the future I have found a solution. I had about £100 of Azure credit from something before so I've set up a 2CPU 8GB VM in the cloud, It's got windows 10 installed and I've managed to install Euroscope on it. It "costs" me about 20p an hour while the machine is on so I have about 500 hours before I have to bother looking at the issue again.

• 2 weeks later...
Keanu Czirjak
On 09/10/2020 at 20:46, Tom Maskell said:

In case anyone searches this in the future I have found a solution. I had about £100 of Azure credit from something before so I've set up a 2CPU 8GB VM in the cloud, It's got windows 10 installed and I've managed to install Euroscope on it. It "costs" me about 20p an hour while the machine is on so I have about 500 hours before I have to bother looking at the issue again.

Sorry about forgetting your post - glad you found that to be a solution. Apparently having a quick glance at Google, Codeweavers Crossover might work for your needs. From what I'm hearing it's still compatible with Catalina as it uses some form of trickery to run 32-bit applications on 64-bit. https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover

If you'd rather opt for a free open-source solution though you can try this, though it may be a bit fiddly to setup (https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/releases/tag/V1.8.4.2)

• Like 1