atc-discussion EGLC SID/STARs

Roger Curtiss

Roger Curtiss

I have recently begun flying in UK and a controller pointed me to the UK/airports site.  I noticed there that the list of SIDs/STARs does not appear to directly relate to the listings on the Chartfox detailed charts which are dated 2019.  I am not clear which would be current. 

Connor Faulder

Are you referring to vatsim.uk/airports/eglc?

Chartfox gets charts straight from the real world AIP (ie the source of truth) whereas the vatsim.uk website needs to be manually updated.

So Chartfox will provide the most up-to-date reference (in the UK, at least).

I believe there's currently a project underway to get the procedures on the website updated as there are a few things out of date.

Chad Byworth
1 hour ago, Connor Faulder said:

I believe there's currently a project underway to get the procedures on the website updated as there are a few things out of date.

Correct 👍

Many of the pages are out of date but the London City one is especially out of date due to the complete restructure of arrival routes in 2016.

Should be sorted soon though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Jason Warrener
On 03/10/2020 at 11:12, Chad Byworth said:

Correct 👍

Many of the pages are out of date but the London City one is especially out of date due to the complete restructure of arrival routes in 2016.

Should be sorted soon though.

Will this include the vMATS and the Thames crib sheet?

Chad Byworth

First draft on the new Thames vMATS is nearing completion. The crib sheet will get an update at some point but I don't think the changes there are as drastic, I'd have to remind myself what's on the current one.

• Like 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Chris White
      By Chris White
      Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first event last night as a controller rather than a pilot.  Particular thanks to @Dean Benavidez, @Piers Austin-Foss and @Jake Egan for the support.  I thought we did quite well at Bristol last night! 
      I would certainly welcome more events like this one within VATUK as it gives controllers like me a chance to get involved in more events outside of CTP and MWM 🌝
    • Alvi Segovia
      By Alvi Segovia
      Is there any documentation for Cardiff or if anyone could possibly share some documents of Cardiff?
      If not, can someone point me in the right direction.
    • Leslie Channell
      By Leslie Channell
      Just wanted to say a big thank you to Lenny who was Directing Gatwick app this afternoon.
      I (EZY22LC) hit a PC snag or two after departure, along with a corruptly loaded Flight plan in the FMS.  Not very often I practice a divert in the FS Labs A320 and so I chose to have a practice by doing a return to Gatwick.  I was outbound passing FL 200 on unicom when I sent a message to the Gatwick director, who had just handed me to 122.8
      He was kind enough to turn me and get me onto a star, planning that whilst nursing the PC and aircraft was fantastically challenging, I missed the first WP but the controller kindly pushed me to the next one down the star.  Flying the star manually as systems fell, I was vectored to and joined the ILS at about 12 miles.
      With the field in sight.... boom, my PC froze leaving me frozen on the ILS with traffic behind.
      I did shout a quick 'I am logging off' before disconnecting.
      Thank you Lenny, your patience and guidance were both very welcome. Apologies for stopping on the ILS all be it momentarily.
      I have now uninstalled the newly installed drive backup software!  I never knew was running in the background trying to clone my drive whilst I was flying... Doh!

• Ben Cook
      By Ben Cook
      Hi all,
      It is with regret that I am announcing my resignation as TG Instructor for New Controller effective 31/10/2020.
      I would like to thank @Daniel Crookes, @Oliver Rhodes and the rest of the Training Department for their continuous support. I would like to especially thank my partner in crime, @Fergus Walsh, who has worked with me for the last year. We have introduced some very exciting changes to TGNC including exams and structured lessons and I am very happy to have been a part of it.
      This is certainly an experience that I will never forget, and I am grateful for the memorable times I have had in the department. I look forward to seeing where Fergus and my successor takes the TG in the future!
      Thanks,
    • Harry Sugden
      By Harry Sugden
      Back in mid-2019...
      And now it's happening!
      To bring the terminology in line with ICAO’s preference for PBN procedures, the UK has been transitioning from “RNAV” to “RNP” approaches this autumn. There has been no change to any of the procedures and how they work; just the name and associated phraseology. I thought people might be interested in where/when this change has taken place to reduce any possible confusion over the frequency if pilots have up to date charts!
      The airfields for which the RNAV approach has already been renamed as of AIRAC 2010 (Effective ALREADY!) are:
      Alderney EGJA Barra EGPR Barrow/Walney Island EGNL Belfast/Aldergrove EGAA Birmingham EGBB Blackpool EGNH Bristol EGGD Cambridge EGSC Campbeltown EGEC Cardiff EGFF Cranfield EGTC Doncaster EGCN Dundee EGPN The following airfields will have their RNAV approaches renamed to RNP as of AIRAC 2011 (Effective this Thursday, 08 October) :
      Exeter EGTE Gloucester EGBJ Guernsey EGJB Islay EGPI Jersey EGJJ Kirkwall EGPA Lands End EGHC Liverpool EGGP London/Gatwick EGKK London/Heathrow EGLL London/Stansted EGSS  
      Heathrow
      The trial for the RNP Y approach remains in place, effective 08 OCT 2020 - 06 OCT 2021. Therefore, the permanent approach must be referred to as the “RNP Zulu” approach on frequency, as on the chart, and the RNP Y as "RNP Yankee".

Some General RNAV Reminders
      The QNH must be included in RNP approach clearances, even if it has been issued with an earlier descent - “cleared RNP approach runway (designator), QNH (hPa)”. (I couldn't find the Procedure Change Post for this, but there definitely was one!)
        There are 3 fix types prior to the MAPt: IAF, Initial Approach Fix; IF, Intermediate Fix; FAF, Final Approach Fix. Aircraft may only be instructed to route direct to either an IAF or IF to commence an approach, not the FAF.
        Clearing an aircraft for the RNP approach clears them to descend to the platform altitude and then further with the procedure. Sometimes, generally for either separation purposes or due to the controlled airspace base, you may need to instruct the aircraft to maintain a higher altitude even if they are direct to the IAF/IF. The following phraseology may be used: “EZY12AB, route direct OLEVI, maintain altitude 4000ft” then later “EZY12AB, cleared RNP approach runway 26L QNH (hPa)”
        Where aircraft are instructed to route direct to an IF to commence the procedure - as they would be at Gatwick, for example - the turn at the IF onto the final approach track must not exceed 45 degrees.