atc-discussion Mentoring top down for Twr & App

Robin Meads

Robin Meads

When there is a mentoring session for TWR or APP, it is not obvious that controllers below are required to close so that the session can be fully top down. (Is this so in every case ?). I think that a proper closure procedure should be used, for example :

AIR1 moves to GMC room on TS  - "AIR1 - GMC"

GMC "Send message"

AIR1 "Top Down mentoring. Please close"

GMC "Standby for closure"

GND voice on Euroscope "All stations. Manchester Ground now closing. For further ATC contact Tower on ... "

GMC closes Atis if controlling it

GMC disconnects Euroscope

GMC "AIR1 - GMP"

AIR1 "send message"

GMC "GMC now closed. (You have Atis)"

This is then repeated with GMP if online, but GMC first.  If App mentoring and Twr on line then start with Twr and work down.

Also as a pilot, it is disconcerting to suddenly find that a controller I have been in contact is suddenly no longer on line. It would be helpful if all controllers would do an all stations broadcast that they are closing, even if they think no one is listening.

Alex Hodgkinson

Not quite sure what exactly you're getting at? Because mentoring on Approach doesn't require the closure of positions underneath the Approach Position. However, in the case of mentoring on Ground or Tower, then yes, in accordance with Article 3.2 of the Divisional Policy, the position underneath should close, and permission granted from the mentor before it is reopened/split. See here.

As for the coordination, well that can be however you want it to be! No scripting required.

Edited by Alex Hodgkinson
  • Like 3
Luke Peters

If you are closing a position (not handing off to another controller on the same position) you should be handing all of your traffic off to the next controller (or if necessary UNICOM) anyway.

Whether that is individually or an all stations broadcast (in which case repeat it in text in case there are pilots AFK when you make the broadcast) depends on the situation.

This also extends to other situations as well. Make sure you tell the position above/below you that you are closing!

George Peppard

Anything we do in this scenario will be a VATSIM-ism. CAP 493 won't have procedures for handing over to an overlying controller due to a virtual mentoring session that requires you to disconnect.

The process to close a position remains the same for any case - inform the relieving controller what is happening, hand off pilots to the new frequency and you're sorted.

You could even use one of the handy acronyms in this thread (whilst not all of it will apply to a GND/DEL controller, they are a good starting point): 

• Like 1
Nick Szewciw

Hang on....everything you said in the OP is exactly what does happen...at least it has every time I had to either log off for a mentoring session or log on for one. 

Robin Meads

Interesting replies guys. I can understand what the controller underneath should do. It just that the higher controller needs to be clear as to what is required, for newbies in particular. This is the first time I have been aware that for an App session, Gnd & Del do not have to close. Also, it is not obvious to a newbie that a Twr mentoring session will be fully top down (is it always ?), so the person coming onto Twr for a mentoring session should inform Gnd etc why they are to close. The 2 times I have been involved in this have been totally confusing, as these aspects are not covered in training.

Alex Hodgkinson

When there is training on a radar position, why would the AIR/GMC units underneath need to close? The student will already hold and S2 (therefore deemed competent) therefore why do they need to 'learn' the AIR/GMC functions?

And yes, when there is a tower mentoring session, the underlying positions should close (See Art 3.7 of DivPol).

Edited by Alex Hodgkinson
Kye Taylor
On 10/09/2020 at 12:24, Robin Meads said:

AIR1 moves to GMC room on TS  - "AIR1 - GMC"

GMC "Send message"

AIR1 "Top Down mentoring. Please close"

GMC "Standby for closure"

GND voice on Euroscope "All stations. Manchester Ground now closing. For further ATC contact Tower on ... "

GMC closes Atis if controlling it

GMC disconnects Euroscope

GMC "AIR1 - GMP"

AIR1 "send message"

GMC "GMC now closed. (You have Atis)"

Hiya! As you have found out, all tower training is under topdown unless overwise stated.
Also your example of codination is wrong, even more so when handing over to the mentoring session. A tower student needs to know the situtation on the ground, it isnt enough just to send them on to towers freq.

Try to structure your handover and the readback using C.R.A.F.T.

Controllers  - Who is online that effects this airport

Runways - What is the active runway?

ATIS - Dropping it? Airport weather conditions - LVPS? Anything out of the norm? 

Flow -  Anything Funny? Odd, nonstandard, Coordinated, Pre-notes?

Traffic -  What's going on. Anyone Taxing, Pushing, Cleared

And a small little thing, Its "Pass your message" 🙂

• Like 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Chris White
      By Chris White
      Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my first event last night as a controller rather than a pilot.  Particular thanks to @Dean Benavidez, @Piers Austin-Foss and @Jake Egan for the support.  I thought we did quite well at Bristol last night! 
      I would certainly welcome more events like this one within VATUK as it gives controllers like me a chance to get involved in more events outside of CTP and MWM 🌝
    • Alvi Segovia
      By Alvi Segovia
      Is there any documentation for Cardiff or if anyone could possibly share some documents of Cardiff?
      If not, can someone point me in the right direction.
    • Leslie Channell
      By Leslie Channell
      Just wanted to say a big thank you to Lenny who was Directing Gatwick app this afternoon.
      I (EZY22LC) hit a PC snag or two after departure, along with a corruptly loaded Flight plan in the FMS.  Not very often I practice a divert in the FS Labs A320 and so I chose to have a practice by doing a return to Gatwick.  I was outbound passing FL 200 on unicom when I sent a message to the Gatwick director, who had just handed me to 122.8
      He was kind enough to turn me and get me onto a star, planning that whilst nursing the PC and aircraft was fantastically challenging, I missed the first WP but the controller kindly pushed me to the next one down the star.  Flying the star manually as systems fell, I was vectored to and joined the ILS at about 12 miles.
      With the field in sight.... boom, my PC froze leaving me frozen on the ILS with traffic behind.
      I did shout a quick 'I am logging off' before disconnecting.
      Thank you Lenny, your patience and guidance were both very welcome. Apologies for stopping on the ILS all be it momentarily.
      I have now uninstalled the newly installed drive backup software!  I never knew was running in the background trying to clone my drive whilst I was flying... Doh!

• Ben Cook
      By Ben Cook
      Hi all,
      It is with regret that I am announcing my resignation as TG Instructor for New Controller effective 31/10/2020.
      I would like to thank @Daniel Crookes, @Oliver Rhodes and the rest of the Training Department for their continuous support. I would like to especially thank my partner in crime, @Fergus Walsh, who has worked with me for the last year. We have introduced some very exciting changes to TGNC including exams and structured lessons and I am very happy to have been a part of it.
      This is certainly an experience that I will never forget, and I am grateful for the memorable times I have had in the department. I look forward to seeing where Fergus and my successor takes the TG in the future!
      Thanks,
    • Harry Sugden
      By Harry Sugden
      Back in mid-2019...
      And now it's happening!
      To bring the terminology in line with ICAO’s preference for PBN procedures, the UK has been transitioning from “RNAV” to “RNP” approaches this autumn. There has been no change to any of the procedures and how they work; just the name and associated phraseology. I thought people might be interested in where/when this change has taken place to reduce any possible confusion over the frequency if pilots have up to date charts!
      The airfields for which the RNAV approach has already been renamed as of AIRAC 2010 (Effective ALREADY!) are:
      Alderney EGJA Barra EGPR Barrow/Walney Island EGNL Belfast/Aldergrove EGAA Birmingham EGBB Blackpool EGNH Bristol EGGD Cambridge EGSC Campbeltown EGEC Cardiff EGFF Cranfield EGTC Doncaster EGCN Dundee EGPN The following airfields will have their RNAV approaches renamed to RNP as of AIRAC 2011 (Effective this Thursday, 08 October) :
      Exeter EGTE Gloucester EGBJ Guernsey EGJB Islay EGPI Jersey EGJJ Kirkwall EGPA Lands End EGHC Liverpool EGGP London/Gatwick EGKK London/Heathrow EGLL London/Stansted EGSS  
      Heathrow
      The trial for the RNP Y approach remains in place, effective 08 OCT 2020 - 06 OCT 2021. Therefore, the permanent approach must be referred to as the “RNP Zulu” approach on frequency, as on the chart, and the RNP Y as "RNP Yankee".

Some General RNAV Reminders
      The QNH must be included in RNP approach clearances, even if it has been issued with an earlier descent - “cleared RNP approach runway (designator), QNH (hPa)”. (I couldn't find the Procedure Change Post for this, but there definitely was one!)
        There are 3 fix types prior to the MAPt: IAF, Initial Approach Fix; IF, Intermediate Fix; FAF, Final Approach Fix. Aircraft may only be instructed to route direct to either an IAF or IF to commence an approach, not the FAF.
        Clearing an aircraft for the RNP approach clears them to descend to the platform altitude and then further with the procedure. Sometimes, generally for either separation purposes or due to the controlled airspace base, you may need to instruct the aircraft to maintain a higher altitude even if they are direct to the IAF/IF. The following phraseology may be used: “EZY12AB, route direct OLEVI, maintain altitude 4000ft” then later “EZY12AB, cleared RNP approach runway 26L QNH (hPa)”
        Where aircraft are instructed to route direct to an IF to commence the procedure - as they would be at Gatwick, for example - the turn at the IF onto the final approach track must not exceed 45 degrees.