atc-discussion Frequency in use by another controller.

Scott Eastwood

Scott Eastwood

Hi, 

I am trying to get myself back into controlling and last night I connected to EGNT tower, thinking it would be a “quieter” place to start. I managed to connect Euroscope ok but when I connected to AFV, the frequency was already in use by a LON controller.  I understand the reasons why he was using it, it appears transceiver coverage in the north is not that great. 

Now this guy was pretty busy and I didn’t want to interrupt him or ask him to relinquish a frequency he was using and cause more issues,  what would have been the best course of action? Never the less it gave me time to do some more studying and listen to the RT. 

Thanks for any help or advice, 

regards

Scott

Oliver Rhodes

It sounds like the LON controller may have had your frequency 'cross-coupled', which basically means that pilots at Newcastle could tune the TWR frequency and be connected to LON, who's covering Newcastle 'top-down' in the absence of local ATC. It's fairly commonly used when controllers disconnect underneath APP or CTR units to save everyone on the ground having to call-up.

In this situation I'd just message the controller above you as you would normally, letting them know that you're online; they'll relinquish your frequency back to you when they can, and (particularly if busy) will be grateful to have someone covering a position they'd otherwise have to cover themselves!

As an aside: LON sectors can get very busy, but controllers should never be so busy that they absolutely can't speak to adjacent controllers (yes, even aerodrome controllers) - don't be afraid to 'prod' them if you've tried to coordinate and not had a response within a couple of minutes; they've probably forgotten you'd called!

Steve Riley
44 minutes ago, Scott Eastwood said:

Hi, 

I am trying to get myself back into controlling and last night I connected to EGNT tower, thinking it would be a “quieter” place to start. I managed to connect Euroscope ok but when I connected to AFV, the frequency was already in use by a LON controller.  I understand the reasons why he was using it, it appears transceiver coverage in the north is not that great. 

Now this guy was pretty busy and I didn’t want to interrupt him or ask him to relinquish a frequency he was using and cause more issues,  what would have been the best course of action? Never the less it gave me time to do some more studying and listen to the RT. 

Thanks for any help or advice, 

regards

Scott

Hi Scott and welcome back.

Same thing happened to me this morning on BB TWR, I popped into TS and Pm the LON controller co-ordination took place he then relinquished the frequency. 

Hope this helps a little 

Scott Eastwood

@Oliver Rhodes @Steve Riley

Thank you for your replies, I’ll be sure to “stick my neck out” a bit more next time. So many new things to get used to I was terrified I’d logged on to whilst someone else was controlling the position. 

• Like 2

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Robin Meads
      By Robin Meads
      When there is a mentoring session for TWR or APP, it is not obvious that controllers below are required to close so that the session can be fully top down. (Is this so in every case ?). I think that a proper closure procedure should be used, for example :
      AIR1 moves to GMC room on TS  - "AIR1 - GMC"
      GMC "Send message"
      AIR1 "Top Down mentoring. Please close"
      GMC "Standby for closure"
      GND voice on Euroscope "All stations. Manchester Ground now closing. For further ATC contact Tower on ... "
      GMC closes Atis if controlling it
      GMC disconnects Euroscope
      GMC "AIR1 - GMP"
      AIR1 "send message"
      GMC "GMC now closed. (You have Atis)"
      This is then repeated with GMP if online, but GMC first.  If App mentoring and Twr on line then start with Twr and work down.
      Also as a pilot, it is disconcerting to suddenly find that a controller I have been in contact is suddenly no longer on line. It would be helpful if all controllers would do an all stations broadcast that they are closing, even if they think no one is listening.

• Sebastian Rekdal
      By Sebastian Rekdal
      Dear all,
      This post is to announce that I am leaving my position as Enroute TG Instructor, effective October 1, 2020.
      After a period of consideration, I have decided to take a step back and direct my focus to my ongoing education.
      I would like to thank the VATSIM UK staff for the support and the opportunities they have provided me during the last year. I have truly enjoyed my tenure with VATSIM UK and the Training Department, and it has been incredibly rewarding to watch our S3s climb up the ladder and work extremely hard to become a C1. The passion, the effort, and the dedication in our students, and not to mention our mentors, is ineffable.
      A special thank you to the TG Enroute mentoring team. You have all been absolutely amazing. I could have never predicted, nor asked for, a better outcome than the one we’ve had. It has been a true pleasure to work with you, and your effort has been above and beyond any expectations!
      In short… being the Enroute TG Instructor has been an experience that I will forever be happy to have had!
      Although I am stepping down, do not think for a second that I will become a stranger. I do, after all, have a document and some diagrams to update every now and again😉 
    • Paul Albertz
      By Paul Albertz
      Hello everyone,
      I am still trying to learn the correct procedures for flying on VATSIM in the UK. I tried to find some information online but I could not figure out what exactly to do in the following scenario:
      Imagine you have planned an VFR flight in a Cessna 172. Conditions permit VFR flight and you file a VFR Flight plan. On your way to your destination the weather conditions get worse than expected and it would no longer be save to continue under VFR. 
      Let's assume, that you and the aircraft are capable of flying IFR. What can and what should you do?
      Is it possible to switch to IFR midflight? Should you file a new flight plan for that? What would the call to ATC look like, to request a change to IFR?

I have seen that in CAP 413 under 3.34/3.35 that a pilot can file an airborne flight plan, but I am not sure if that applies to the situation described above and if that is possible on VATSIM?

• Jonas Hey
      By Jonas Hey
      Hi all,
      Was controlling Scottish today for the APP exam and must of been no less than 10 pilots which could not tune 135.525, looking into it further all affected pilots were using Microsoft flight sim and told me that it set 135.524 in Vpilot?
      (Had to cross couple a different frequency and use that for MSFS pilots)
      Anyone have any ideas or know where to file in a bug report of some sort?
      Cheers,
      Jonas
    • Imogen Thompson
      By Imogen Thompson
      Hi all.
      Can I please remind people about courtesy on the above ATC position.
      Please use a bit of common sense and see if the person on EGCC_N_TWR is running the airport on duel runway ops before anything else and even if they are, please ask if they are ok with you going onto South Tower. Reason being is you logging on this position takes pretty much all work off of North Tower and they may not want that.
      If they accept, brill - have both TWR positions open. If they decline (maybe it isn't really busy enough to need both for example), please don't go giving them grief like "I don't care" and "Whatever". I've had this on a few occasions and it's frankly silly and childish. Names will remain unsaid.
      Going back to the initial point, if you log on without doing the check first and you are told that it's single runway ops, and the duels request is declined, please just apologise and disconnect. If you don't, you're essentially sandbagging and if you give out grief, you're just going to get yourself into bother and it's not worth it.
      Just showing that little bit of courtesy goes a long way. 👍
      Please keep it on topic and don't turn this into a screaming match between one-another...