Loui Ringer

event - overload [1st & 2nd August 1000z-1900z] Midsummer Madness XIV

Loui Ringer

MSM.thumb.jpeg.9190ae6a7deb7564f014b7f155d8b136.jpeg

Mid Summer Madness XIV

We're delighted to announce the latest rendition of VATSIM UK's longest running event.

On Saturday 1st and Sunday 2nd of August 2020, Birmingham Airport (EGBB) will host its 14th annual Mid SummerMadness Event. Birmingham Airport will be fully staffed from 1000-1900Z (1100-2000 BST) on both days.

There are no flight bookings, so just turn up and fly to and/or from EGBB in whatever you like, when ever you like and as many times as you like! Please help us celebrate the 14th anniversary of this fantastic event by flying in and out of Birmingham - the skies are guaranteed to be busy around Birmingham!

Most of your controllers and a few of your fellow pilots are also planning to hopefully be sat in the same room. We really hope you can help us make this the best Mid SummerMadness event yet!

Prizes

This year we've again teamed up with some flight simulation software companies. Thanks to the generosity of these fantastic companies, we're able to offer the following prizes to pilots who fly in or out of Birmingham during the event weekend:

UK2000 Scenery – a product of your choice from their store, either Xtreme range airports or VFR Airfields 1, 2 or 3

Flight1 Software – a product from their store.

Majestic Software – Majestic Dash 8 Q400 PRO version

A2A Simulations – a product of your choice from their store.

Orbx  - a product of your choice from their store.

FLY X SIMULATIONS - a product of choice from their store

These prizes will be available to win for pilots for the below:

1. One for the pilot who flew the furthest distance whilst online to be with us, either departing or arriving EGBB during event hours.*
2. One for the pilot who flies the most flights in or out of EGBB, with full stop landings during event hours.
3. Two prizes at random for pilots who fly a full flight online into or out of EGBB during event hours.

Thanks again to our sponsors who have made this possible. Winners will be contacted after the event.

We hope to see you there!

* Must be a commercial flight
Edited by Tom Earl
Updated banner with new sponsor.

Steve Riley

Looking forward to the tea party  during and after 😜

Bill Casey

Good grief, this event is now older than some Vatsim members!

Since the very first one (with huge CRT monitors, gazillions of interweb cables and the first BoB: The Router of All Evil) the EGBB airspace has been absolutely buzzing for this event and with all the controllers being local experts you're guaranteed to get top notch handling. 

Hopefully we can operate as normal in the hotel but if not then it'll still happen but maybe without the same grizzly looking faces on the Sunday morning.  

Andrew Smith

Since the very first one (with huge CRT monitors, gazillions of interweb cables and the first BoB: The Router of All Evil) the EGBB airspace has been absolutely buzzing for this event and with all the controllers being local experts you're guaranteed to get top notch handling. 

THE BoB !!!

Where are they now?

Henry Cleaver

For those who are unaware, those who attend this event do so at their own considerable cost, including travel and accommodation costs. In fairness to those people, the event positions are exclusive to them during event hours. 

If anyone wants to discuss this further please PM me through the forum or email me and I’ll be happy to discuss, rather than clog up this post. 

Edited by Matthew Wilson
Quote removed as from a hidden post

Gary Oliver

Right Enough is enough!

Thanks to the toxic atmosphere created by a small group of the usual trouble makers I left slack, discord, stopped reading the forums and lost all interest in any future development of anything on VATSIM and barely found the enthusiasm to control on the network with the constant infighting and deliberate attempts to ruining it for others.

I was just starting to get my enthusiasm back and then this morning wake up to a string of whatsapp messages on a group chat.  Yet again the group of people in the division who seem to only find enjoyment out of ruining others time of the network are making their next attack.

MSM has been around for 14 years now, and has always been an event held out of a conference center in a hotel, arranged by a group of mates to get together and enjoy the hobby.  I wasn't invited until 2 years back as I had never even spoken to any of the guys that run it, other than the odd chat on Team speak or in passing via mutual friends.  After getting to know the guys through the last couple of events arranging fly-ins between MSM and other airports to keep the traffic levels up they invited me to join them last year.  

It was a brilliant weekend, and attending live meet up events with like minded people allows you to get to know people via a medium other than text.  I mean I always thought Stu was a bit of a bell e**  but after meeting up in real life we got on like a house on fire.  There is probably a group of people here who like plane spotting, I wouldn't attend as its not my thing, but others would.  Use VATSIM like I have to make life long friends around the world.

VATSIM have always been supportive of the community events and see no issue with allowing a rostered event for groups of people, MSM, Southwest Overload, Live, FS EXPO, Minneapolis Overload, Boston Tea Party, the many european events.  To block out one of the least staffed airports for a group of people to staff up for 2 days out of 365 is NOT excessive.

This years MSM cannot take place from a conference center due to COVID and as such even some of the MSM attendees have stepped back to allow as many is allowed to join at one of the guys houses, myself and two or three others are not attending but will help from home is needed staffing up another airport and arranging some fly-ins.  You wouldn't be calling your neighbours out for not having an open invite for their BBQ they didn't invite you to, would you?  Why do you feel it your right to be invited round a strangers house for the weekend?

Life is not fair, groups of people form friendships and have events.  Look at Simfest.... We are a group of people who meet up to fly the sim, control and more importantly have a social life out of it.  We don't deliberately not invite people, however there is a limit to how many people you can get involved, and likewise I would be able to fly the sim with, without a murder.... remember its a hobby and you don't have to be friends with people who you have nothing in common with.  Just be civil!

This is exactly like MSM... The event attendees control EGBB from the room, and anyone who can help out with London or manning the hundreds of other airports in the UK can do and encourage traffic for all, or fly in and win some of the prizes they have arranged.

You are all looking at this in completely the wrong way, the MSM organisers don't think 'how can I upset someone on the internet I have never met' when arranging these events.  They arrange them to provide some ATC and a fun weekend for everyone.

Maybe step back, and get a grip.  Its a hobby!

Just enjoy it, you might enjoy it more if you weren't deliberately finding conflict with other members.

Cheers
G

Edited by Loui Ringer
Removed comments which support removed posts

Ben Wright

Just to make things absolutely clear - MSM is an official VATSIM UK event. It is not a staff up as some people have said above, and therefore the Marketing Department has the ability to decide who controls for that event. 

We are getting the individual bookings removed, and replacing them with the red event bookings like you see for all other rostered events. This is how it should have been from the start, however I didn’t do this (which is no fault of the MSM team).

Hopefully this clears up any confusion. This fighting from both sides of the argument is unnecessary, makes us all look childish, and ultimately drives people away from the division. I think Gary summed this up nicely.

Edited by Ben Wright

Trevor Hannant
13 minutes ago, Ben Wright said:

This fighting from both sides of the argument is unnecessary, makes us all look childish, and ultimately drives people away from the division. I think Gary summed this up nicely.

Ben, maybe take this to the Moderation Committee and have all the off topic nonsense removed at some point later in the week when they all can agree on it?

Daniel Button

I very much look forward to flying for this event again! 😄 Very enjoyable last year.

Edited by Daniel Button

Trevor Hannant
23 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

THE BoB !!!

Where are they now?

Still going strong!  Or is that the son of the ROAE?!?!   @Bill Casey

Bill Casey
On 29/06/2020 at 22:55, Trevor Hannant said:

Still going strong!  Or is that the son of the ROAE?!?!   @Bill Casey

The original BoB: The Router of All Evil ran MSM and other events for a few years before an unfortunate meeting with Eurocontrol which blew it apart. BoB II ROAE took over and has appeared at events ever since. The BoB itself however ceased to exist when it's raison d'etre disappeared many yonks ago although the members are still largely here and contribute heavily to MSM. It all shares a common ancestry and the name BoB The Router of All Evil is rooted in a dark history of intrigue.

All clear now:? Nope, didn't think so 😉😉 

Bill Casey

The annual plea for this event! If you're planning on departing EGBB the please check if your scenery has taxiway S with the runway extension! Every year we get gazillions of flights given taxi to S1 and they end up at E. If we get too many queued at E then it blocks S for other flights. if you havn't got taxiway S then pop a remark in your FP to that effect and they'll work around it.

Sweepstake on the number that accept an S1 and end up at E1 this year?

Steve Riley
On 04/07/2020 at 08:44, Bill Casey said:

The annual plea for this event! If you're planning on departing EGBB the please check if your scenery has taxiway S with the runway extension! Every year we get gazillions of flights given taxi to S1 and they end up at E. If we get too many queued at E then it blocks S for other flights. if you havn't got taxiway S then pop a remark in your FP to that effect and they'll work around it.

Sweepstake on the number that accept an S1 and end up at E1 this year?

I say 6 for my Sweepstake ..

For those who need them and trust me there is quite a few who do, here is the up-to-date link for the charts for EGBB please have them to hand, especially when taxiing.

https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-06-18-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EG-AD-2.EGBB-en-GB.html#AD-2.EGBB