EGGD GND - Couple of training notes...

Trevor Hannant

Trevor Hannant

Firstly, great to see a number of S1s utilising Bristol as somewhere to learn and maintain their GND skills - great to see!

A number of flights over the past few weeks have highlighted a couple of things I'd just like to clarify for those controlling at Bristol.  Please don't take this as a criticism, it's just pointers to help with your and pilot's experiences at the UK's 8th busiest airport in 2019 (by passenger numbers)!

Taxiways

eggd.png.d0c477d6241c19b1e0d9d1721abaac06.png

There isn't a Taxiway W!   The W identifiers on the SMR and Ground Map above are Stands.  These will be used for:

- oversized aircraft where a "normal stand" is too small (e.g. E2, W3/5 for Heavies if Stand 26 is occupied)
- overnight parking (not an issue with VATSIM!)

If someone is departing Runway 27 and has pushed back onto Z, they don't need "Taxi HP AX via Z" - there's no other way they can go so simply say "Taxi HP AX".  Unless they plan on doing a loop using D, H and J...  ?

Pushback

This is taken from the vMATS (Version 6 as at date of post):

It is not necessary to instruct an aircraft to pushback in a given direction as the pushback direction is directly dependant on the runway in use. The only time a direction is required in the push back instruction is to aircraft pushing into the cul-de-sac from stands 22-25.

For anyone with the new UK2000 Bristol HD scenery, the cul-de-sac is modelled for GSX so these users should automatically go into there - however you still need to advise them that this is where they've to push into:

"Push and Start Approved into the cul-de-sac to face XXXX"

Regardless of the runway in use, the following directions should be used due to the space available in the cul-de-sac:

Stands 22 & 23 - Face East
Stands 24 & 25 - Face West

For those who don't have the updated scenery and are using older UK2000 scenery, unless they have this this updated AFCAD (shameless self plug...), they'll require pushback onto Z.  A quick text after clearance is issued asking which version they have will let you know which push you need to give (Z or cul-de-sac).   Feel free to pop them the link to the update also! ?

Keep up the good work staffing up Bristol, good to see it's support growing again!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
Callum McLoughlin
On 04/04/2020 at 11:49, Trevor Hannant said:

If someone is departing Runway 27 and has pushed back onto Z, they don't need "Taxi HP AX via Z" - there's no other way they can go so simply say "Taxi HP AX".  Unless they plan on doing a loop using D, H and J... 

Can this logic be extended/applied at all other airfields too? It is one of the (trivial) things that really winds me up ? 

Edited by Callum McLoughlin
  • Like 1
Dan Bishop-Adams
4 minutes ago, Louie Lister said:

eAIP says there isn't a ground at Bristol? Has this not been removed yet?

There used to be, it is now Delivery - has been for a while... but VATSIM-UK insist on keeping GND for training reasons apparently.

Edited by Dan Bishop-Adams
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Alex Hodgkinson

Can I please just remind controllers that in 'Severn CTA-1' and 'Cotswolds CTA-2' the top of the CAS is FL195, above this it becomes the West CTA which is also Class C Airspace. So if aircraft are for example routing DCT SKERY from the BRI NDB they never leave CAS.

Ta.

@Trevor Hannant

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...
Daniel Button

As a side note to this, I have noticed on one or two occasions that people logged on as EGGD_DEL are push/start and taxiing aircraft. This shouldn't happen.

If you log on as DEL at Bristol, it's the same as logging on as DEL at Gatwick or Manchester. You clear aircraft, then send them to TWR (or next top-down controller). If you'd like to taxi planes then please log on as GND.

Edited by Daniel Button
  • Like 2
Dan Bishop-Adams

Very clear information is contained within the recently updated Bristol vMATS. I’d suggest it would be prudent for any controller logging onto any position to ensure they have read and digested the relevant documentation; I have to say it has been clear on numerous occasions that this hasn’t happened and ‘traffic chasing’ has taken place. 

People put time and effort into writing this documentation - it is there to be made use of.

• Like 1