windows 7

Nick Russell

Nick Russell

Just a heads up to anyone still using windows 7 , Microsoft are withdrawing support and security updates effective from Jan 14 2020. They recommend updating hardware i.e buying a new computer with windows 10 !! An update is available as a download at Microsoft but apparently it wont work for everyone.

Adam Turner

All good things must come to an end... Fortunately I have found Windows 10 to be a superb successor (though I was one of the few people to actually like Windows 8.1...). 

Darren Hill
10 hours ago, Adam Turner said:

All good things must come to an end... Fortunately I have found Windows 10 to be a superb successor (though I was one of the few people to actually like Windows 8.1...). 

As a successor Windows 10 is far superior to Windows 8.1 in my opinion

Bill Casey

There are still an estimated 400 million win7 machines out there with an estimated 26% share of OS  usage, that's one helluva lot of PCs that won't be updated. An awful lot of them can't install W10 so there are going to be a LOT of vulnerable PCs online for a long time and that will get exploited, sure as eggs is chickens.

• Like 1
Celestyn Chmielewski
9 hours ago, Bill Casey said:

There are still an estimated 400 million win7 machines out there with an estimated 26% share of OS  usage, that's one helluva lot of PCs that won't be updated. An awful lot of them can't install W10

Unfortunately, my PC is one of them as I can't get latest Windows installed as for some reason my PC is preventing from it being installed with no error message given. Any idea?

Darren Hill
9 hours ago, Bill Casey said:

There are still an estimated 400 million win7 machines out there with an estimated 26% share of OS  usage, that's one helluva lot of PCs that won't be updated. An awful lot of them can't install W10 so there are going to be a LOT of vulnerable PCs online for a long time and that will get exploited, sure as eggs is chickens.

Very true mate. Microsoft may release non-regular updates to fix exploits such as that major one that for the UK Health System's XP systems a while back. Will have to wait and see!

Bill Casey

Couple of myths to explode:

MS will still be patching Windows 7 on a pay basis (mostly aimed at Corporates), it's still not totally clear how one goes about buying extended support but they will still be doing the work. It may be just "mostly dead" ??

Despite MS protestations to the contrary it IS still possible to do a legal free 7 to 10 upgrade. Just make sure you use reputable sources on how to do it (not some bloke called DweebMagnet007 on t'interweb). MS never did withdraw the capability to do free upgrades. 

NB: MS has got a lot better at assessing compatibility for updates but not at actually telling you why yours is blocked. They do tend to list the reasons for blocks on the KB though.

It doesn't help this puney little laptop though which is just too old (it has attended 11 Midsummer Madness events!), too weak and insufficient storage for W10   ?

• Like 1
Nick Russell
8 hours ago, Bill Casey said:

Despite MS protestations to the contrary it IS still possible to do a legal free 7 to 10 upgrade. Just make sure you use reputable sources on how to do it (not some bloke called DweebMagnet007 on t'interweb). MS never did withdraw the capability to do free upgrades. 

I managed a 7 pro to 10 pro upgrade direct from Microsoft for free. I don't know if having the professional OS makes a difference, but its worth checking Microsoft first.

Andrew McCabe

If you have a genuine Windows 7 OS you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool from MS onto a USB and upgrade to Windows 10 for free.  I don't think it matters what version of Win 7 you have, the upgrade will detect that and install the comparable Win 10 version.   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Edited by Andrew McCabe
Typo
Darren Hill
2 hours ago, Andrew McCabe said:

If you have a genuine Windows 7 OS you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool from MS onto a USB and upgrade to Windows 10 for free.  I don't think it matters what version of Win 7 you have, the upgrade will detect that and install the comparable Win 10 version.   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The only one that doesn't work is Win 7 Enterprise (personal experience here haha). Had an ex-workstation for my previous PC and couldn't get Win 10 on it. Probs best I didn't with its spec haha!

Bill Casey

And here's the typical MS weird part... this week is the last set of updates for win7 right? Errrr, no. This week they're releasing a new Chrome based version of Edge for win7! They've committed to supporting that browser for at least 18 months so there will be an officially supported and updated browser for win7 until July 2021!

So, if you have a machine forever stuck on Win7 (like this geriatric miniature laptop) then you'll still be able to (relatively) safely surf until next year as a minimum. Albeit with a probably rubbish browser ?

• Like 1