Chris Pawley

atc-discussion 2019-12-15 Proposed Changes to Sectorisation

Chris Pawley

Hello

We propose to change the airspace South of Birmingham to align it better with the real-world sector divisions.

The details are in the attachment 20191209 - London Sector Proposal 2020.pdf (Thanks to Seb for a quick job with mocking up the diagrams)

The document has a short appraisal on the changes at the end, but we're posting this in advance to seek opinions - especially of those people who control these sectors regularly. If we agree to proceed, we will also provide more details to ensure a smooth transition.

Please let us know your feedback (if you have any) and if you think implementing would cause any major headaches from your perspective, and especially, how this might impact your controlling.

Thanks!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Robbie Garrett
      By Robbie Garrett
      Anyone fancy dry running all the positions open this Saturday?  It's very rare other than events, but if anyone's about. Just for fun!  London positions included.  Two of us have already booked 1900-2100hrs.
      https://cts.vatsim.uk/bookings/diary.php?date=2020-01-18

• Harley Chambers
      By Harley Chambers
      Been a pilot of a little while know I though I would go for controller but when I try and observe on Euroscope set it up correctly yet still can't hear anything I get a red headset in recipe voice set everything up properly , can anyone recommend a good YouTube video that shows how to set the voice up or can any please tell me thanks.  
    • Fraser Cooper
      By Fraser Cooper
      Hello all,
      Below is a long post, you have been warned.
      General Setup
      1. Download Hoppies ACARS (ATC) - https://www.hoppie.nl/acars/prg/atc/acarsatc-1.5.1-install.exe
      2. Get a Logon Code here - https://www.hoppie.nl/acars/system/register.html
      3. Download custom uplink file here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_zed6wkkFyyJ5jYPKSRUf2o0NXWFeTL/view?usp=sharing (This includes Area, Aerodrome and Oceanic Phraseology)
      4. Replace uplink.txt with above file at (C:)\Program Files (x86)\Hoppie\ACARS-ATC\etc
      5. Open 'ACARS ATC (CPDLC)' app and enter ACARS Logon sent to email address
      7. Change Uplink Files directory to the location where you put uplink.txt file.
      8. Add a notification sound file for both Telex and CPDLC messages. (Must be a Wav file - You can use any sounds, but C:\Windows\Media is a good place to start) - I use 'Speech On' personally.
      Area - Logon Requests

1. Left click the message and 'Accept Logon'

2. The message will then change to a peachy white and you can double click to remove the message.
      3. The aircraft will now appear in the 'Planes Online' view.

Area - How to send an instruction
      1. Double click the aircraft you wish to send a message to in the 'Planes Online' view.

2. This will then open the 'CPDLC Message Compiler'

3. There are a range of instructions you can issue. Any darker text labelled 'Text' will require a custom input. As above, 'TEXT' was replaced with the direct of 'LAKEY'
      4. Hit 'Sent to XXXX'

This is how the above message is received by the pilot of an FSLABS A321.
      5. Under 'Current MSGS' the insturction will be in blue until accepted by the pilot, at which point it will turn a peachy white where you can then remove the message by double clicking the record line.
      6. You can sent multiple line message by clicking 'Element 2' and selecting a new message.

I hope the above is useful to at least get started with ACARS and the Hoppies network.

• Fraser Cooper
      By Fraser Cooper
      Hello all,
      Below is a long post to an alternative method for hoppies acars for aerodrome, you have been warned.
      General Setup
      1. Download Hoppies ACARS (ATC) - https://www.hoppie.nl/acars/prg/atc/acarsatc-1.5.1-install.exe
      2. Get a Logon Code here - https://www.hoppie.nl/acars/system/register.html
      3. Download custom uplink file here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_zed6wkkFyyJ5jYPKSRUf2o0NXWFeTL/view?usp=sharing (This includes Area, Aerodrome and Oceanic Phraseology)
      4. Replace uplink.txt with above file at (C:)\Program Files (x86)\Hoppie\ACARS-ATC\etc
      5. Open 'ACARS ATC (CPDLC)' app and enter ACARS Logon sent to email address
      7. Change Uplink Files directory to the location where you put uplink.txt file.
      8. Add a notification sound file for both Telex and CPDLC messages. (Must be a Wav file - You can use any sounds, but C:\Windows\Media is a good place to start) - I use 'Speech On' personally.
      Aerodrome - How to setup and offer Hoppies PDC

1. Enter Airfield ICAO Code
      2. Enter ACARS Logon Code
      3. Make sure you have the uplink file and both sound effects correctly setup, all as above.
      4. If all setup correctly you should see a green light at the bottom of the ACARS Window with 'Ready' at the bottom bar.
      5. When a pilot requests PDC via ACARS you will see the incoming message in the Telex Downlinks section.

6. Click the message the click Reply. The aircraft Callsign should now transfer to the 'To:' box to the right in 'Telex Uplinks' section.
      7. Click CPDLC to open the Message Compiler.

8. Click the 'PDC' category to view PDC options.
      9. Click the second option, 'CLRD TO [DEST_ICAO] ........ '

10. The message will now populate 'ELEMENT1' at the bottom.
      11. You will need to manually enter the clearance by editing the 'TEXT' fields. Use the data from the departure list in Euroscope to generate the clearance. 

12: You can then add further lines to the clearance by click 'Element 2' then finding the message you want to sent. Same with 'Element 3' - As below.

13. Under 'View' and 'Current Msgs' you will see the clearance sent in Blue - This means the clearance has been sent but is awaiting acceptance of the clearance from the pilot.

(Not the best example, but did not have a pending PDC clearance)
      14. When the message turns a creamy white colour, it means the clearance has been accepted. You can remove the message record by double clicking the line.

I hope the above information is helpful to you all and look forward to seeing more ACARS coverage around the UK.
      This is how the clearance is received in the FSLABS A321 - 

• Adam Brackley
      By Adam Brackley
      As a newly trained S1
      I seem to have some confusion when it comes to clearing aircraft with step climbs in there flight plans.
      For example I had an aircraft on a southbound routing to Spain they filled for cruise altitude of FL240, however had a stepclimb to FL250 within there flightplan.
      Could I clear this Aircraft on FL240 or will I be shouted down for it?
      Is there anything i need to change in his flight plan such as set a temp FL within ES as I would be initially clearing a south bound aircraft on an even flight level.

Thanks for your help