Matthew Charman

atc-training Looking to Return - What do?

Matthew Charman

Hey Everyone!

Long time no see!  Looking to make a come back to the vatsim world (especially with the hopefully great voice update) and was wondering whats the best way to start again.  I was only an S1 that was partway through S2 Tower training when I took my leave the last time.   

I assume the best course of action would be to start again as there are undoubtedly going to be some major changes as well as old knowledge that needs refreshed?

See y'all around!

Adam Farquharson

I would say just log on ground positions and just start getting used to it again. There will definitely be some changes so make sure the have the most recent sector file and have a quick look through the vmats and the crib sheet of where you are controlling before logging on and then you should be good to go!

If you are looking to start s2 training again then maybe worth getting yourself onto the waiting list which you can do by opening a ticket but if I were you I would defer any training places you are offered until you feel confident that you can control ground again. Probably won't take long but depending on how long you've been away it will probably take you a few sessions to get back into the rythm of things and to get used to any new procedures.

Enjoy your controlling and most likely see you on the network 🙂

Matthew Charman

Sounds like the best plan!  Have just been setting up and re-configuring euroscope with the sector files and whatnot.    Defo will take a few sessions to get used to it again and make sure I'm doing it all correct, been about 3 years I believe!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• James Morrissey
      By James Morrissey
      -Please delete-
    • Nick Marinov
      By Nick Marinov
      Hi, all (C1s+ mainly),
      CTP is fast approaching us and we are gathering a team of controllers to control the ocean. As such, we are looking for C1s that would like to join us on the 26th of October for the event. Endorsed or not, please email oceanic[at]vatsim.uk . If you are endorsed, include your availability. If you are not endorsed, we will provide training for you and make sure you are ready for CTP! 😉 
      PS: who is ready for the first CTP on AFV? (flamingo)
    • Chad Byworth
      By Chad Byworth
      Right, starting S3 training and trying to work out how the two RMAs interact when CC is 05 and GP is 27
      Ok so in my hastily sketched diagram:
      Shaded PINK - Liverpool RMA D - SFC to 2500ft Shaded TURQUOISE - Liverpool RMA F - 1300 to 2500ft Shaded YELLOW - Liverpool RMA E - 1300ft to 2000ft RED line - eastern extremity of the Liverpool 1800ft SMAA - east of this Liverpool is limited to 2900ft SE and 3500ft NE GREEN line - boundary of Manchester RMA E BLUE line - eastern boundary of the LLR OK, so the Manchester vMATS for area E states:
      In Sub-Area E, aircraft may be given descent to altitude 3500ft QNH subject to airspace allocated to Liverpool APC and also to be given descent not below altitude 2300ft QNH until east of the Manchester Low Level Route.
      The Intro to Manchester Radar mentoring document states:
      Base of CAS however aircraft cannot be descended below 2300ft until clear of the LLR.
      So I guess I've got a couple of questions:
      How am I supposed to allocate levels between the green and blue lines? Am I restricted to 3500ft until 3nm clear of the Liverpool RMA (which roughly equates to the eastern LLR boundary)? What is the purpose of the hatched turquoise section - this part of the Liverpool RMA is inaccessible unless you drop an aircraft below terrain safe levels
    • Louie Lister
      By Louie Lister
      Evening controllers,
      Could I ask that when controlling beside those being mentored that you coordinate in TeamSpeak than on VCCS or any other service? It's really hard to work out what's going on when the mentor can't hear what's going on. I'd assume this is the same for other mentors and examiners. 
      Please, please, please coordinate on TeamSpeak! We need to make notes and we can't without coordination on TeamSpeak.
      Louie 😄 
    • Luke Collister
      By Luke Collister
      Hi all,
      I've not been near VATUK training for a long time so I've no idea what is being taught, however I've recently noticed a massive amount of S1s (literally the majority) disconnecting from ground positions with absolutely no coordination whatsoever.
      On a busy London frequency (and especially Bandbox!) it is so important for situational awareness. Even if you have no aircraft, I know you're online so the next aircraft I get I will chuck to you without checking, unless you've told me that you've already disconnected. It is annoying to say the least, especially when Gatwick just went leaving me with 11 departures and no coordination whatsoever.
      A quick ES PM is enough.