Peter Collins

Extra hand in getting S3

Peter Collins

Hi all, I need a bit of help. I am currrently training for the S3 at EGKK_APP and I Would like some extra material to help me learn. I have read and re-read the EGKK MATS Part 2 about 4 times now. But I am still tryin grasp the concept of it. Does anyone have or know of any videos that can show me how EGKK_APP works. I have looked on youtube but the videos that are displayed aren't very helpful.

I did look into trying sweatbox however I am unable to get hold of any Scenario files ( Error finding host and i think Craig's site is down ) and have also come across something that says Euroscope 3.2 does not work with Aircraft Sim editor.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Oliver Gates

Peter,

Reading and consolidation of theory material is the best way to spend time between mentoring sessions. Reading the vMATS is a step in the right direction, and remember that the primary purpose of mentoring sessions is to improve your practical controlling.

A lot of S3 students struggle with UK FIS (Flight Information Services), so I'd recommend reading through CAP774 (UK FIS) and CAP1434 (UK FIS for pilots) between sessions. Regulatory Article 3302 (Altimeter Settings) is also very useful for understanding altimetry, and Regulatory Article 3228 (Separation Standards) is useful for understanding separation.

If you're interested in listening to real-world videos, take a look at these ones:

Note that some of these videos may contain outdated procedures or phraseology, but they give a general idea of VFR procedures (and IFR procedures, if you listen to the controller in the background in some cases).

Peter Collins

No worries thanks for the reply. Just wanted some extra information. Just making sure I give the best service when controlling.

Chad Byworth
2 hours ago, Oliver Gates said:

Peter,

Reading and consolidation of theory material is the best way to spend time between mentoring sessions. Reading the vMATS is a step in the right direction, and remember that the primary purpose of mentoring sessions is to improve your practical controlling.

A lot of S3 students struggle with UK FIS (Flight Information Services), so I'd recommend reading through CAP774 (UK FIS) and CAP1434 (UK FIS for pilots) between sessions. Regulatory Article 3302 (Altimeter Settings) is also very useful for understanding altimetry, and Regulatory Article 3228 (Separation Standards) is useful for understanding separation.

If you're interested in listening to real-world videos, take a look at these ones:

Note that some of these videos may contain outdated procedures or phraseology, but they give a general idea of VFR procedures (and IFR procedures, if you listen to the controller in the background in some cases).

Peter,

just worth highlighting that the Regulatory Articles that Oliver has linked are military controller guidelines and so there will be some differences between it and MATS Part 1 (still a good resource though!)

Chad

Oliver Gates

Thanks for clarifying this, Chad. I should have pointed out that the two regulatory articles are documents for military ATC, but the vast majority of their content is applicable to civil controlling on VATSIM.

Gary Oliver

Interesting the response here is to just read information on random FIS procedures 1% of pilots will use rather than focusing on making Peters vectoring on point 🙂

Have you seen the program London Control Peter?  Its great for a bit of offline practicing to get the hang of vectoring.

Cheers

Gary

Peter Collins
16 minutes ago, Gary Oliver said:

Interesting the response here is to just read information on random FIS procedures 1% of pilots will use rather than focusing on making Peters vectoring on point 🙂

Have you seen the program London Control Peter?  Its great for a bit of offline practicing to get the hang of vectoring.

Cheers

Gary

Thanks, will give it a try. Just what I was looking for 😃

Oliver Gates

I’d strongly advise against using simulators (or running your own SweatBox sessions) at the very beginning of your training.

There are several examples of students doing this in the past, only to get into very bad habits, as they aren’t aware of the correct procedures in the first place. You don’t know what you don’t know, so you won’t be aware of any mistakes you’ve made!

If you’re interested in vectoring, have a look at the ‘Approach Radar Control’ document.

Oliver Gates
44 minutes ago, Gary Oliver said:

Cheers

Gary

UK FIS is often dismissed by students as an unimportant or irrelevant topic until they approach the later stages of their training. It often holds people back from being ready for an exam, so independent study between sessions would be far more beneficial than potentially (and unknowingly) developing bad habits by running an independent SweatBox at the start of training.
Edited by Oliver Gates

Gary Oliver
59 minutes ago, Peter Collins said:

Thanks, will give it a try. Just what I was looking for 😃

You are welcome 🙂

34 minutes ago, Oliver Gates said:

UK FIS is often dismissed by students as an unimportant or irrelevant topic until they approach the later stages of their training. It often holds people back from being ready for an exam, so independent study between sessions would be far more beneficial than potentially (and unknowingly) developing bad habits by running an independent SweatBox at the start of training.

We shall just agree to disagree here then 🙂