Farnborough Radar (LARS) Information

James Gibson

Please see information on LARS in the UK (particularly Farnborough LARS) in advance of the FIS Afternoon event but also because recently Farnborough LARS is opened much more frequently on the network. I am not a real world controller and so I do not claim to be 100%, but with my personal experiences as a pilot, I have tried to make this information as accurate as possible.

What is a LARS (Lower Airspace Radar Service)?

A Lower Airspace Radar Service (LARS) is a free service available to all aircraft for the provision of the radar element of UK Flight Information Services (UK FIS). This is usually available within approximately 30 nm of each participating Air Traffic Service (ATS) Unit to all aircraft flying outside controlled airspace up to FL100, within the limits of radar/radio cover. (ref. CAA website)

Simply put:

"Farnborough Radar" (LARS) provides non-radar (i.e. a basic service(VFR or IFR)) and radar services (e.g. traffic (VFR or IFR)/deconfliction (IFR only) services) outside of controlled airspace within the diagram Ben has posted above, usually up to about FL100. 

Farnborough Radar is responsible for the EGLF (the aerodrome itself) and can provide a MATZ crossing clearance for RAF Odiham.

General Information

The ATS unit's callsign is "Farnborough Radar" and covers all three LARS sectors (W, N and E) in the south-east on VATSIM using the frequency 125.250 MHz. See diagram below:

1. PILOTS

Passing VFR details:

Pilots of aircraft inbound or outbound to an aerodrome, or which to obtain a flight information service, when instructed to pass their message details, should respond in the manner described as follows below.

The first call should be: "Farnborough Radar, [CALLSIGN], request [BASIC/TRAFFIC] service."

Then wait for a response: for example, "[CALLSIGN], Farnborough Radar, pass your message. "

Generally, this format can be applied to visual flight rules (VFR) and instrument flight rules (IFR) aircraft.

1. Aircraft Callsign and type
  2. Departure point and destination
  3. Present position
  4. Level/Altitude
  5. Additional details/Intention (e.g. flight rules, next route point)
  6. Request (What service are you requesting?)

General Information

The ATS unit's callsign is "Farnborough Radar" and covers all three LARS sectors (W, N and E) in the south-east on VATSIM using the frequency 125.250 MHz. See diagram below:

872545360_Screenshot2019-07-12at09_12_30.png.26c6e9e1b8c43b72c38dc49199947032.png

What is a basic service?

756570073_Screenshot2019-07-12at08_51_02.thumb.png.bc3ddfcab8bc53821a71a46a2fdc7dc0.png

What is a traffic service?

81803411_Screenshot2019-07-12at08_52_51.thumb.png.75ff698fcc37b60b6d9021ac43e713cb.png

What is a deconfliction service (IFR only)?

1329863142_Screenshot2019-07-12at08_54_46.thumb.png.a8aa2cef12b282eca9af210be6aa1c6e.png

2. CONTROLLERS

This is particularly aimed at all A/G, AFIS and tower positions that are controlling adjacent/beneath Farnborough Radar. 

• VFR aircraft do not need to be coordinated if they are to remain outside of controlled airspace and clear of any airspace that is not Farnborough's interest
  • IFR aircraft should be coordinated
  • The majority of uncoordinated aircraft should be handed off to the radar position as "Free-call" where details of the flight must be passed to the controller over R/T again by the pilot.

References:

AIP (See textual information for information on LARS)

CAP 413

CAP 774

LARS Frequencies

Recommended Read: Farnborough LARS Guide

Any questions please do ask below (happy to discuss!) but I thought this may help and encourage pilots to start trying new things (which actually tend to be easier than your typical Airbus/Boeing flight)!

I hope this helps.

James

Edited by Loui Ringer
Added prefix for pinning

*Excited dancing*

EDIT: Bin my last... AGHHHHH It's on RIAT Saturday! 

Edited by Sebastian Wheeler
RIAT...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also like to point out (as there has been some confusion recently) that a distinct LARS position does exist on VATSIM. This position should be opened as EGLF_R_APP, using the frequency 125.250, as James has stated. This is derived from the real-world LARS West frequency.

The control of arrivals and departures into/from Farnborough, as well as top-down coverage in the absence of aerodrome control, is done by another Farnborough Radar position, EGLF_APP, using the frequency 134.350 (derived from the real-world frequency of 134.355).

The information on the VATSIM UK website regarding Farnborough may be confusing, as it does not reflect the distinction between EGLF_APP and EGLF_R_APP; on VATSIM, the former is an approach/radar position, and the latter is a LARS position.

Edited by Oliver Gates
  • Like 2

On 24/07/2019 at 20:09, Oliver Gates said:

The control of arrivals and departures into/from Farnborough, as well as top-down coverage in the absence of aerodrome control, is done by another Farnborough Radar position, EGLF_APP, using the frequency 134.350 (derived from the real-world frequency of 134.355).

The information on the VATSIM UK website regarding Farnborough may be confusing, as it does not reflect the distinction between EGLF_APP and EGLF_R_APP; on VATSIM, the former is an approach/radar position, and the latter is a LARS position.

Very often 134.355 and 125.250 are 'bandboxed' together if I am not mistaken ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Gibson said:

Very often 134.355 and 125.250 are 'bandboxed' together if I am not mistaken ?

You are not mistaken; LARS W is often bandboxed with approach for Farnborough. This video provides some 'behind the scenes' insight.

• 1 year later...

This is really useful info.  Thank you. 

On the subject of passing VFR messages, there's been a minor change recently that hasn't been widely advertised, so I thought I'd mention it here.   The Skyway Code (which seems to have effectively replaced the old Radiotelephony Guide for GA pilots) states that it is no longer necessary to repeat the request for service at the end of the message.  This is reflected (though I think not explicitly stated) in the current (2020) version of CAP413.  A further revision of 413 comes out in January 2021, hopefully with fewer typos and format errors..... 

• Like 1