Harry Sugden

atc-discussion The end of the spreadsheet?

Harry Sugden

I'm sure that many have seen, but for those that haven't: https://www.nats.aero/news/aireon-system-goes-live/

Perhaps we might be justified in using VATSIM's 'radar' to control Shanwick now, with separation requirements to one day reduce... or at the very least, perhaps this marks the beginning of the end of the Google Sheets Shanwick? 😄 

Fraser Cooper

This is well overdue. The Shanwick operation currently is so outdated and this technology, you would think, has been around for years. Glad to see this finally being introduced.

Morten Jelle

With todays technology it makes perfect sense. I wonder if the ranges on VATSIM can cope with this using different vis points - and will position reports still be necessary when the trial is over? 

So many questions is coming now!

Henry Cleaver

Interesting. May also be the end of the NAT Track system as we know it.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Chris Pawley
      By Chris Pawley
      The Letter of Agreement between London and Amsterdam (Dutch vACC) is revised to take into account changes in AD3 at the end of 2018. It's available here.

Chris.
    • Harry Sugden
      By Harry Sugden
      Hi all,
      I've been working to trawl through the agreements in the sector file to introduce more of the arrows to indicate that an agreement is climbing/descending (rather than level by the point shown), so you should start to see more of these with an update to 2019/05 when it's out.
      If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the first few were introduced in December, and are as shown in this procedure change post. (And also here:)

[If you're not seeing them, you might need to expand the width of your Sector exit point name column to 6 rather than 5.]
      As they are rolled out, I'd quite like to know whether people find the fix name useful at all. They're perhaps advantageous in that they give you a rough idea of where the transfer takes place, but I'm of the personal opinion that they might look better as simply an arrow in order to differentiate completely from those agreements that are actually level by.
      What do you think?
    • George Barlow
      By George Barlow
      Hello all,
      Since the enrollment of the dedicated VCCS server, there have been various issues regarding connection, general calling and also the sound that alerts you of an incoming call. I thought I would take the time to address these issues and supply a possible fix.
      Connection issues to the server & General calling
      Many have faced this issue and the reason behind many of you getting a 1797 issue is due to the revision of Euroscope you are on. The most current beta released is r19, which can be downloaded here: http://www.euroscope.hu/installbeta/EuroScopeBeta32a19.zip All of the contents in this .zip file should be moved to your main Euroscope directory (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\EuroScope), please note that this will require you to overwrite existing files in the directory - a backup of your Euroscope folder should be made before transferring the files.
      Incoming call alert sound
      This issue occurs due to the current 'landline_request.wav' is too long. A simple resolution to this would be either to crop the sound file down yourself or download a new and improved one, courtesy of George Peppard: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Tq58cAVQRX8AuHa1aCpnwi4t7qeqrvv/view?usp=sharing This file should overwrite the current 'landline_request.wav' file in your main Euroscope directory (Default: C:\Program Files (x86)\EuroScope\Sounds\), restart Euroscope after this change and this issue should've been resolved - be sure to make a backup of this file before overwriting!
      Multiple Euroscope instances open & VCCS won't work
      This issue occurs when two or more VCCS instances are opened/used in one single connection to the network (usually by proxy). This can be resolved by making sure you only open the 'VCCS dialogue' on one instance or making sure you stick to calling other positions on one of the Euroscope instances only - switching between two instances on a proxy connection will confuse VCCS and the server, potentially causing further issues.
      Majority of the issues faced with VCCS are down to either the server address entered wrong or not having the most up-to-date beta of Euroscope.
      If any other issues arise that I have not addressed, do give me a shout through private message on the forums, Slack or Teamspeak.
      Hope this helps use VCCS to its full potential, giving a better amount of realism on the VATSIM network.
      Kind Regards,
      George

• George Barlow
      By George Barlow
      Hello everyone!
      I’ve decided to launch a 24/7 server for VCCS. I really want to emphasise that this has no affiliation with VATSIM UK and is not supported by them - if anything is to go wrong or the server goes down VATSIM UK are not liable and support will not be given.
      If anyone is looking to use this can you pm me for the domain (either on this forum or on Slack) so I can gain an insight into who is using it and also giving me an idea on how many people are using it. The plan for this is to add more realism and hopefully connect the community more so when controlling. Once again this is a server run by myself and if you need support or something goes wrong to contact me and me only. Thanks guys, hope this allows you to make use of the VCCS feature within Euroscope.
      Kind Regards,
      George
    • Edward Berkley
      By Edward Berkley
      Hello all,
      I'm not sure if someone else has made this before but I made a diagram of every single EGCC SID, all in one image. 
      Thought it was a fun project to do. Obviously, this won't last forever as there could be a SID change. 
      This could help pilots and controllers who may be unfamiliar with Manchester or just need a bit of a recall.
      If there's anything that I may have missed out or incorrectly drew on the diagram, let me know.
      Enjoy!
      Ed