Andrew Gransden

atc-software UK Controller Plugin - EGGD Squawk Codes

Andrew Gransden

UKCP is allocating the wrong squawks to VFR traffic departures leaving the Control Zone at EGGD. It is using the Radar Use ones (5050-5077 except 5070) and not 5070 used for all zone departures.VFR circuits all use 7010 [EGGD vMAT2]

Edited by Andrew Gransden

Callum Axon

I'd argue that this case is so specific that manual intervention would not be a bad thing. If I'm on APP handling a VFR departure, I'm likely to allocate a discrete squawk for the purposes of identification (regardless of whether they would like service, in which case I can use it for conspicuity) so this would only ever occur when TWR and APP are online. It could be extremely difficult to detect this particular situation because an aircraft might be doing a local flight (flight plan says GD to GD) and be classed as a VFR departure to a human controller but to the outside observer (i.e. the plugin), this is a standard VFR circuit. Unlike IFR, we don't necessarily have the ability to firmly compute whether or not a flight is a VFR departure and Bristol being a special case here. Just my two cents.

Andy Ford

This is a special case that to my knowledge applies to only a few aerodromes where there's a special squawk just for VFR leavers that gets used when TWR and APP are online. Whenever I (and others I know) am covering GD top-down, I'll assign a discreet squawk because chances are I'll want to provide some sort of service that requires verification of Mode C.

The local squawk functionality is primarily there to allow controllers to keep on top of their local squawk ranges when providing LARS services or dealing with overflights. We may consider an option to disable local squawk allocations on a per-profile basis, so that controllers may disable it at GD if they so wish. However, this is not something that can be realistically be built into the plugin - it's difficult at best to accurately determine what an aircraft intends to do (especially on non-standard VFR flightplans) and the number of conditional statements would be difficult to maintain.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Russ Wragg
      By Russ Wragg
      I enquired on Slack about an up-to-date ICAO_Airlines.txt and got the following response from @Adam Turner who pointed me in the direction of VATSIM Germany's files on aero-nav.com -- I'm sharing at his behest as I believe it's in the public interest.   Thank you Adam.   @Adam Turner 11:15 PM  
    • Samuel Rey
      By Samuel Rey
      Alright, I want to post this just in case somebody ends up in the same situation as me - if you are trying to get EuroScope working with wine, you will run into some issues with UKCP (also with the audio, but you can find how to fix it on other posts - just google "Euroscope wine")
      If you try to load UKCP and it gives you a "Failed to load DLL: (path to UKCP dll)" error message, you can open Euroscope under a terminal by going into the ES directory and typing wine EuroScope.exe
      Load the plugin and look at the terminal. For me, the error message on the terminal was 
      0009:err:module:load_so_dll failed to load .so lib "/usr/bin/../lib32/wine/wldap32.dll.so": libldap_r-2.4.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 0009:err:module:import_dll Loading library WLDAP32.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\samuel\\Documents\\Euroscope\\UKControllerPlugin.dll") failed (error c000007a). If it is the same for you, you need to install the 32 bit libldap package - in Arch linux it is lib32-libldap so I installed it with 
      pacman -S lib32-libldap You can check the package name for your distro by googling "libldap 32 bit <distro>"
    • Jacob Edwards
      By Jacob Edwards
      New VATSIM CoC allows for connecting to the network with a preferred name rather than real name, but the VATUK TS still kicks you for anything than exactly the right name. No-one but the DVLA call me Jacob so I'd like to use Jack as I now do on the network - any chance the rules/TeamSpeak Bot could be relaxed slightly?
    • Edward Berkley
      By Edward Berkley
      Hello all,
      I have manually downloaded the latest UK Sector File (2019/08) and loaded it. However, the new SID's for EGBB have not loaded for some reason. Am I missing a step somewhere? Do I have to go back a few steps and download the 2019/06 version?
      Many thanks,
      Ed
    • Stuart Mccallum
      By Stuart Mccallum
      Hi was wondering if anyone could provide a guide to setting up euroscope for the first time. Thanks