Harry Sugden

atc-software EuroScope 'tricks'

Harry Sugden

So, I've been mentioning a few little EuroScope things to people recently, often with a reply of 'oh, I didn't know you could do that?!'. So let's please share anything you think might be a little quirky, and maybe we can all learn a thing or two...

'GRABBING' THE TEXT CHAT

• Press Ctrl+Up Arrow Key, and you'll 'grab' the previous line in the text chat down into the command line. 
  • Other SET -> Save chat to a file / Save chat to a clipboard

CREATING A FLIGHTPLAN FOR AN AIRCRAFT

• VFR flight with no FP, and you want to create one based on their report? Or at least record details of depa/dest/type etc.?
  • ASEL the aircraft, either by clicking on it somewhere (tag/voice room) or by typing (part of) its callsign and pressing the numpad +. Then F1 followed by the a key (or simply type .am), and press the numpad + again.
  • OR F1, then the a key (or simply type .am), then click on the aircraft.

RELEASING A TAG

• If General Settings -> Misc Options -> Use hovering TAG for key commands is ticked, then hover over an aircraft's tag and press Shift+F4. It'll drop the tag (i.e. not initiate handover).
  • Or ASEL the aircraft, Shift+F4, and press numpad +.

Anyone got anything else...?

(any references to numpad + - the ASEL key - are assuming you haven't changed the default in General Settings)

Edited by Harry Sugden

George Peppard

Only had to use it a few times, but F1 + p then a controller ID followed by ASEL “points out” the aircraft to the controller you entered.

Richard Keen

Great tips thanks  ,slightly of topic ... i do have a question but its not to do with ES its to do with vSMR , i have seen screen shots were people have just the aircraft showing and no tag .. then the tag shows up once flights are sqking or selected etc ... how do you do that? the screen looks a little cluttered with every flights tag showing.

Thanks

rich

Alex Toff

I didn't know for a long time that you can do F1 + d, click on two aircraft's tags and it would leave a nice distance marker between them

Joe Burberry

What a great idea for a post!

I've learned so much about Euroscope in the last couple of months on my own. ( when I last controlled it was all about VRC)

Select the aircraft your controlling. Insert then Hxxx x=the heading (best thing I've found out!!)

Callum Axon

You can clear the scratchpad of an aircraft by hovering over an aircraft and pressing the "INSERT" key; useful for GMC controllers (hint hint).

Luke Brown

Took me over 5 years to learn that right clicking on a text chat room or frequency text will mark all messages as read!

Sonny Nixon

I didn't originally know this but to get a METAR for another airport press F2 + the airport ICAO and then it will display top left in the METAR box 😉

Harry Cameron
34 minutes ago, Luke Brown said:

Took me over 5 years to learn that right clicking on a text chat room or frequency text will mark all messages as read!

I was today years old when I found out that!

Harry Sugden

.inf returns details of a user's client. So you can confirm your suspicions of an XPlane user moving REALLY slowly, and send this alias...

.xplane Hi there! I've noticed that you're flying with XPlane, which has a feature to slow ground speed if frame rates are poor. Could I please ask that you install this free plugin that correctly adjusts ground speed, which will help controllers out when flying in future? http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/26517-autospeed/ It'll also mean your flights take the actual amount of time they should! Cheers

😄 

James Yuen
5 hours ago, Richard Keen said:

Great tips thanks  ,slightly of topic ... i do have a question but its not to do with ES its to do with vSMR , i have seen screen shots were people have just the aircraft showing and no tag .. then the tag shows up once flights are sqking or selected etc ... how do you do that? the screen looks a little cluttered with every flights tag showing.

Thanks

rich

With the assumption that you have vSMR installed, there's a corresponding .json file that 'lives' with it. Within that is a line of text, saying (something like) 'professional mode' or 'pro mode', change that to '1' instead of '0' and that should change it so tags appear when they're squawking.

Arvid Hansson

My favourite by far is using F1 + F and then clicking an aircraft (same as .find) to find an aircraft which has called up when it shouldn't have or with a bad call (outside sector, "London Control, BAWxxx with you." etc.)

Other good ones are F1 + C instead of .chat (all F1 commands really), .ff [WAYPOINT] to quickly show a fix on screen, and Left and right clicking a tag at the same time to "freeze" the tag in its present position (useful for decluttering screen when holding etc.).

Edited by Arvid Hansson

Richard Keen
3 hours ago, James Yuen said:

With the assumption that you have vSMR installed, there's a corresponding .json file that 'lives' with it. Within that is a line of text, saying (something like) 'professional mode' or 'pro mode', change that to '1' instead of '0' and that should change it so tags appear when they're squawking.

thats it thanks 🙂

Louie Lister

Very surprising to see in the past that not many people know how to send an automatic contact me.. @Daniel Crookes ...

I'd hope most people know, but for those that don't, press the HOME button on your keyboard and click on the aircrafts tag and it'll send them a contact me! 

Harry Sugden
11 hours ago, Arvid Hansson said:

Left and right clicking a tag at the same time to "freeze" the tag in its present position (useful for decluttering screen when holding etc.)

Whaaat I didn't know that one!!!

Henry Cleaver
14 hours ago, Arvid Hansson said:

My favourite by far is using F1 + F and then clicking an aircraft (same as .find) to find an aircraft which has called up when it shouldn't have or with a bad call (outside sector, "London Control, BAWxxx with you." etc.)

Other good ones are F1 + C instead of .chat (all F1 commands really), .ff [WAYPOINT] to quickly show a fix on screen, and Left and right clicking a tag at the same time to "freeze" the tag in its present position (useful for decluttering screen when holding etc.).

3 hours ago, Harry Sugden said:

Whaaat I didn't know that one!!!

WOW 😧 that's something I didn't know either.

Michael Pike

Ctrl + UpArrow gets the last line from the chat window (I guess many people know that)

Shift + UpArrow gets the previous command. Very useful when a text pilot doesn't read back. Just pull the command back into the status bar and send it again.

Tip: Have a look at the wiki again. All this stuff is in there. I read it 9 times when ES first came out and I still learnt something new each time.

George Peppard

Shift+F6 clears all the route lines displayed.

Speaking of route lines, most people already know but if you right click an aircraft's callsign in the departure list it shows you the route on the radar display.

Fraser Cooper
1 hour ago, George Peppard said:

Shift+F6 clears all the route lines displayed.

Speaking of route lines, most people already know but if you right click an aircraft's callsign in the departure list it shows you the route on the radar display.

I like that a LOT! I always lose count of the route lines and who they belong to.

George Peppard
1 minute ago, Fraser Cooper said:

I always lose count of the route lines and who they belong to.

That or when someone (annoyingly) disconnects after you show their route line! 😛