Harry Sugden

community Weekly 'Articles'?

Harry Sugden

Just finished a rooog flee and left a little feedback, and came across some 'Featured Articles' on their home page (https://laartcc.org/). Perhaps we could look at getting people to write a feature every now and again on something ATC/flying related in the UK, and sharing that?

I'd be happy to see if I can come up with something to get things going, if other people maybe expressed some interest so we could at least get a few things published! Wouldn't necessarily have to limit it to UK related either if people have some things to share from other parts of the world...

(Let's get a 'community' going again ey!)

Edited by Harry Sugden

Callum McLoughlin

I have found in the past the best way to work out something's longevity is writing a list of possible article titles that contributors would like to write. If there are 27 proposed titles, then one article every 2 weeks will see a years worth of regular publications. All of the "briefings" for events, (pilot and ATCO) could also be published on there to drive views upwards too. Blog software would be ideal for this, though I note the IP.Content module will be more than up to the job too and is already installed.

I'd definitely read it, but I doubt I have anything interesting enough to talk about flying/controlling-wise. At a stretch I could probably write an article about the inner world of Supervising, but I find articles about VATSIM bureaucracy grating and irksome (and a waste of time)!

Edited by Callum McLoughlin

Harry Sugden

Does this need 40 votes to be actioned? I'd be keen to get involved with this if some other people are...?

Aleksander Iljaszewicz
On 21/12/2018 at 08:58, Callum McLoughlin said:

I have found in the past the best way to work out something's longevity is writing a list of possible article titles that contributors would like to write. If there are 27 proposed titles, then one article every 2 weeks will see a years worth of regular publications.[...]

I'd definitely read it, but I doubt I have anything interesting enough to talk about flying/controlling-wise. At a stretch I could probably write an article about the inner world of Supervising, but I find articles about VATSIM bureaucracy grating and irksome (and a waste of time)!

You probably have more to share than you realise. "The inner world of Supervising" sounds like an intriguing title!

Making a list of topics is a very good idea.

2 hours ago, Harry Sugden said:

Does this need 40 votes to be actioned? I'd be keen to get involved with this if some other people are...?

If there is anything I could help with please let me know.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• Alex Hodgkinson
      By Alex Hodgkinson
      I would like to propose that we reintroduce sub-forums within the Discussion forum that are specific to the Training Groups (TGs).
      Since the removal of the RTS forums, a lot of valuable local knowledge was lost before It could be made available in the local airfield documentation. I would like to see as a minimum a sub-forum be introduced for each TG so that discussions about the airfields in each TG are prominent and not lost in the midst of other discussions.
      Secondly, it would allow dissemination of important messages from the TG staff to the students within the TG such as waiting list times, progress, mentoring updates etc.
      Thirdly, and most importantly, it would promote a healthy sense of 'community spirit' and a sense of pride within the TGs. I was (and still am) proud of the things that were achieved by the SW RTS and we had a great community. Now that has been swallowed up by a whole TG, why can't we have the same sub-forum to try and reinvigorate the same sense of community pride? 
    • Neil Stewart
      By Neil Stewart
      Over the last couple of months, I have noticed a distinct and exponential trend on these forums by members who feel the need to be derogatory or inflammatory towards others.  Where a member posts something that someone disagrees with, the responses often paint the OP in a negative light and belittle them for not fitting in with the established clique.  I have seen new members criticised for not following complex ATC procedures and established members criticised for questioning something.

These negative posts come from some members who should know better; be they staff members, supervisors or long standing members.  Many people could benefit from remembering that there is a human being on the receiving end of their post.  Would you want your mother to read the post you have written?  In most cases, I would suggest that the answer is “No”.  VATSIM is a learning environment and not everyone has the same level of knowledge or ability.  We should all be taking that into consideration.  

Most of the posts where the inflammatory responses are highlighted often come from members who have shortcomings in understand policy or procedure and respectively, I often see posts or material that could be simplified or the excessive use of abbreviations and jargon toned down. For example, the S1 Training Process described on the Becoming a Controller web page is written for an existing staff member and not someone who is new to the hobby.  How about someone writes it in plain English and removes the unnecessary wording/abbreviations/process maps?  This should apply to most of the content on the UK Website.