John Henderson

Brand new ATC!

John Henderson

Hi all,

I've registered as an OBS for an ATC. Looking to start learning a GND position, but taking my time with theory first.

I've always wanted to become an ATC but unable to in real world due to medical reasons so really happy to join the community.

I'm interested in starting to listen to some ATC In the network. I'm a little confused with the learning material - do I need a copy of FSX to control? Or is that pilot only.

Thanks

Stuart Duncan

Welcome, John!

Kudos for taking the time to learn the theory and listening into ATC. You'll know you're ready to begin training when you can predict what the aerodrome controllers are going to say.

No need for FSX to control, controller software is gratis. If you do happen to have FSX, then you can set up a virtual tower view. Just ask if you require any further info on that.

S

John Henderson

Thanks Stuart.

I want to really master the art of ground once I achieve S1 before continuing onto any other achievements, do you think FSX is a useful tool to control ground? Its not too expensive on steam I see but no point buying if I won't use it you know?

Harry Sugden

Welcome, John!

The beauty of having a radar scope (in the form of EuroScope) with a ground layout for every training aerodrome (and more!) in the UK means that coupled with the appropriate ground chart, you'll be able to garner all the spatial awareness you'll need for free. In all honesty, it's probably enough getting to know the ATC software before trying to throw tower view into the mix - maybe make that a project once you're more comfortable with things?

Good luck!

Adam Turner
13 hours ago, John Henderson said:

Thanks Stuart.

I want to really master the art of ground once I achieve S1 before continuing onto any other achievements, do you think FSX is a useful tool to control ground? Its not too expensive on steam I see but no point buying if I won't use it you know?

Welcome to VATSIM UK John! After you pass your S1 you will want to sign up for S2 training straight away. You might not feel ready then, but by the time you reach the front of the waiting list you almost certainly will be! 

Adam Farquharson
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:15, Adam Turner said:

After you pass your S1 you will want to sign up for S2 training straight away

Check with a TGI how many people there in the waiting list. For me I had to wait about 11 months or something but the waiting time is coming down massively so be careful.

Graham Carr

I am doing my S2 training now - it was around 8 weeks or so for me.

Edited by Graham Carr