Gordon Mollins

Headset recommendation

Gordon Mollins

Hi Everyone

Just re-joined VATSIM and I'm looking forward to flying and controlling when my new PC arrives shortly.

I'm after advice and recommendations for what headset I should use. I will not have a dedicated sound card on my new PC but will be using the in built sound from the motherboard (ASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready) 

I was looking at this headset  https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Color/hs50-config-eu/p/CA-9011172-EU

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon

Gordon Mollins

Is it better to use a headset with a 3.5mm jack or a USB connection?

Cheers

Gordon

Fraser Cooper

A USB connection is better from my understanding. It gives more power to the headset to create a better sound quality. It is also less prone to static interference. 

Joe Burberry

I moved to USB a few years ago and wouldn't go back, the quality is much better.

Mike Jasinski

I made a switch to a wireless headset about a year ago - at this point it was purely for comfort and gaming, using TS3 etc. I recently have returned to controlling on vatsim and was anxious as to how the headset would perform on vatsim servers and euroscope etc.

I have had nothing but great feedback and everyone saying how clear i sound. So I would recommend the CORSAIR VOID headset if you want something without wires. I got a refurbished set from corsair for about £60. Only downside, is it leaks sound. The missus can hear pretty much all the transmissions i get coming in.

Furthermore, the corsair software is pretty neat with EQ adjustments and several presets, which i have customised.