Sign in to follow this  
Harry Sugden

atc training Initial climb in clearance

Harry Sugden

Would it be possible to advise controllers during their training, that if a pilot sounds like they might need the initial climb issued to them, that it be given in the clearance? Of course this might lead to some pilots who do check the chart being told it, and some who don't check the charts still busting it... but it's getting a bit tiring on London these days with the number of busts. It's VATSIM... chart reading isn't a particularly popular pass time, but of course this idea would require subjective interpretation of what a non-chart reader sounds like.

Open to other suggestions as to how we can address this problem... perhaps some way we can point pilots to charts better than we do now?

Oliver Gates

In real life, a lot of the controllers pass the information to the pilots on first contact anyway. For example, the TC Biggin controllers often say "squawk ident; maintain altitude 6000 feet upon reaching" on first contact with aircraft on Detling departures. This technique removes any ambiguity and overcomes the issue of pilots not knowing or forgetting the initial climb (even if they looked at the charts before departure). It might be slightly tedious for the controller, but it's better than a level bust. Obviously, it isn't mandatory, but it is reasonably commonplace; some controllers do this frequently.

I realise, however, that this does not solve the issue of level busts before pilots make contact with London Control, as it requires the pilot to be in contact with the controller at the time.

Edited by Oliver Gates

Nick Marinov
24 minutes ago, Oliver Gates said:

"squawk ident; maintain altitude 6000 feet upon reaching"

This ^

I always say this if I can't climb them above the initial climb to TC level or above, even if I'm on APP and not London

Trevor Hannant

Sometimes doesn’t matter if you tell them or not - have had it on a few positions where levels are given as part of the clearance where they just go for cruise level regardless. 

No magic wand I’m afraid...

Harry Sugden
4 hours ago, Oliver Gates said:

I realise, however, that this does not solve the issue of level busts before pilots make contact with London Control, as it requires the pilot to be in contact with the controller at the time.

Yeah this tends to be the issue - as the large majority of time on VATSIM I'm able to at least give a 1000ft climb (which I'll always aim to do for efficiency!).

4 hours ago, Oliver Gates said:

"squawk ident; maintain altitude 6000 feet upon reaching"

Not something I have really done, or needed to do, (because of the above) - but yes another good point!

Oliver Parker

The amount of pilots that don't give any care to initial climbs is staggering. 

This is something which can be solved by educating new pilots.

Said it before, still nothing has been done, there needs to be a test before people can just connect and fly.

Phillip Speer

I must admit I do with LL/DET departures do as above (which I have since expanded to other departures when  want them to level off/not issue a further climb initially). Mainly to stop requesting climb early as if a few OCK arrivals, may be level for a while before climbing and I find it works quite well (will be an issue with the Kk IMVUR/easterly SAM/KENET as often passed 3000ft before making contact.

Phillip

Harry Sugden
2 hours ago, Phillip Speer said:

will be an issue with the Kk IMVUR/easterly SAM/KENET as often passed 3000ft before making contact

This is true! Far more likely for busts of 3000ft! That said, I do quite often get late callers from Manchester managing to bust 5000ft - and it's the same regardless of the SID! 😡

I do tend to go for the "for future reference, the initial climb on that SID is X000 feet" if someone does bust - maybe I should change this to a quick alias explaining this, and pointing to charts.

Adam Farquharson
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:57, Oliver Parker said:

Said it before, still nothing has been done, there needs to be a test before people can just connect and fly.

A moodle exam would be perfect. 

Oliver Parker
On 23/09/2018 at 02:51, Harry Sugden said:

I do tend to go for the "for future reference, the initial climb on that SID is X000 feet" if someone does bust - maybe I should change this to a quick alias explaining this, and pointing to charts.

.bust

'You are a bad pilot, you can't read a chart and selfishly cause conflicts with other pilots. You will continue at 6000ft for the remainder of your time in the London FIR.'

Harry Sugden

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this as BAD as tonight... how hard can it be when ALL the SIDs from Manchester are 5000ft? 😥😂

When do we give up eh

Stuart Duncan
32 minutes ago, Harry Sugden said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this as BAD as tonight... how hard can it be when ALL the SIDs from Manchester are 5000ft? 😥😂

When do we give up eh

To be fair Harry, I didn't admire your predicament on LON_N this evening, but, if you'd quit [auto-mod: lovely language]ing on freq, you'd have gained about 50% extra RT time .

#JustSayin'

Harry Sugden

I guess I was just having to have a bit of fun at the fact we were being launched continuous Brum departures at what, 1 a minute? Don’t know whether this was intentional but wasn’t much opportunity to control really... certainly too much work for one controller!

Anyway, got better and had a great session once all the EFRO stuff had gone - thanks to the KBOS-EHAM traffic for what became a lovely controlling session 👌🏻

Stuart Duncan

Continuous Brum, and Manchester, departures are common for this event every year. If you can't handle the status quo, don't jump in. Simples.

Yes, we as APP/CTR controllers wish that every pilot could fly a SID verbatim, but alas, it will never happen. I've resigned to pointing out errors on an individual basis. Sometimes, some pilots' abilities vastly outweigh their experience, which brings a welcome change.

Point being, there are times and places to wax lyrical. I do it myself. Everyone does (those that claim not to are liars). But, tonight, during a busy event, was not one of them.

Glad you've enjoyed yourself in the end. That's what it's all about, eh?