Anastasios Mpithas

proposal Discord instead of Slack

Anastasios Mpithas

When Slack was first introduced it was a great app that enabled, and still enables all of the Vatsim UK members to have a chat, exchange opinions, organise flights and unwind.

But I believe that Discord is now much better than Slack for text communications for the following reasons:

• Easier to access -most of the members and staff of Vatsim UK have a Discord account, new members are more likely to join Discord than Slack, because most people don't even know what Slack is
  • The VATSIM.net official server for communications, and many other divisions are on Discord 
  • Messages don't get deleted on Discord; If you need to find older messages on Slack you are out of luck
  • Plenty of bots for easier moderation
  • Much easier to implement something than Slack, it has a better API
  • Roles can be useful for (new) members to identify staff and mentors

Please respond with your opinion!

Note: I am not talking about voice communications. This has been discussed already.

The only downside that this move might have, will be the recustomisation of the bot that links Core-Slack, which I have no clue how hard it is to do.

Edited by Anastasios Mpithas

Nathan Innes

This was already a topic in the past am I wrong?

Louie Lister

A similar topic here. Discord is not beneficial for the Division at all. IMO it's just an app for kids in a playground. 

'

Anastasios Mpithas
6 minutes ago, Nathan Innes said:

This was already a topic in the past am I wrong?

6 minutes ago, Louie Lister said:

A similar topic here. Discord is not beneficial for the Division at all. IMO it's just an app for kids in a playground. 

'

10 minutes ago, Anastasios Mpithas said:

Note: I am not talking about voice communications. This has been discussed already.

Louie Lister
2 minutes ago, Anastasios Mpithas said:

Fully aware thanks, Anastasios. However, the reason why Discord won't be used is in that forum post and in the #webservices channel on Slack.

Edited by Louie Lister

Tom Szczypinski

Voice and Text are EXACTLY the same thing when it comes to merging one thing to another.. We would need to transfer everything over, which just isn't very beneficial. Web team probably have better things to do (like Core).

Nathan Innes

Even at that.. The downsides are the same

IN ADDITION: Why move to something when what we have already works?

Edited by Nathan Innes
Adding onto what I said

Anastasios Mpithas

Merging TS and Discord is something I don't want, because I have managed a couple of Teamspeak servers in the past and it's permision setup is very extensive, something that is required for our Division. Also, I have noticed no problems whatsoever the past 3 years on our Teamspeak, and that makes it very reliable.

My post was targeted for Text comms only, but your responses and Calum's response made it clear that moving to Discord isn't easy.

And Loui, yes I know that Discord is used extensively by kids, but it is used by the Vatsim BOG/EC/Sup/Pilot Dep, so it isn't just kids that use it 😉

Calum Towers

Thanks for the thoughts Anatasios. My thoughts and feelings haven't changed much since the thread around a year ago and the limitations of Discord I described there are still present.
I'm open to change and reviewing other solutions if they are more appropriate but the work required to rejig Core would yield, I fear, a very low return on investment. Discord doesn't appear to offer a large and tangible benefit over our current setup.
As a side note, we do have a lot of work going on at the moment (waiting list management, new website, new admin panel, refresh front end, updating framework, increasing test coverage etc) and that is before we have considered getting a new training system built. We could re-prioritise our work but if it was a toss up between Discord and the aforementioned ongoing projects, I think that getting some new features in place would be the priority for our membership.

I will, however, try and address each of your points below!

43 minutes ago, Anastasios Mpithas said:
  • Easier to access -most of the members and staff of Vatsim UK have a Discord account, new members are more likely to join Discord than Slack, because most people don't even know what Slack is

878 people have registered for Slack and exchanged well over half a million messages. I think the registration process through Core is fairly simple and doesn't appear to a barrier to getting involved.

• The VATSIM.net official server for communications, and many other divisions are on Discord 

Whilst I'm happy to look at what other Divisions and .NET are doing, I am comfortable in using different solutions to ensure that we get the most appropriate setup for members of the UK Division.

• Messages don't get deleted on Discord; If you need to find older messages on Slack you are out of luck

Slack was brought to the Division to enable real-time communication by text. The Forum is the best place to hold discussions that you want a permanent record of.

• Plenty of bots for easier moderation

Slack and Discord both have a rich library of integrations but we have never felt restricted with Slack.

• Much easier to implement something than Slack, it has a better API

This is really a matter of opinion but its very rare that we have felt restricted by the Slack API. On the occasions we have felt restricted, we have found a suitable workaround.

• Roles can be useful for (new) members to identify staff and mentors

Part of me quite likes that Slack doesn't brand individuals with their staff badge. We apply the same principle on TeamSpeak, no flashy badge but if you click the person you get their staff details.

Simon Kelsey

I'm not really sure why Discord would be any better than the current setup, especially for text comms with the one possible exception of the lack of message limit (but then, the nature of instant messaging is that is, well, transient). The one thing which immediately comes to mind is that you can create a 'thread' in Slack in response to a message and thus keep a conversation together, which you can't do in Discord as far as I can tell, so that would be one feature down straight away.

I mean, I use Discord and it's OK but I don't really get why people think it's so much more brilliant than Slack/TS. Maybe I'm missing something!

Trevor Hannant
    46 minutes ago, Anastasios Mpithas said:

My post was targeted for Text comms only, but your responses and Calum's response made it clear that moving to Discord isn't easy.

If you mean to have a text chatroom that will retain messages because Slack doesn't, then that's disappearing from Slack at the end of the month anyway.  The channels left will be purely non-generic for certain roles.  There's enough chat apps etc out there if small groups of people want to spraff away to their heart's content - I woke up to over 380 missed messages in the Discussion channel in Slack this morning, I bet at least 370 were of absolutely no interest to me hence why I won't be sad to see the channel disappear...

Adam Farquharson

the advantages are minimal if there are any and It would take way too much work to implement in comparison to what we would get out and in the end, slack is probably better so don't see this happening any time soon

Callum McLoughlin

If it was me, I would ditch Slack and TeamSpeak in favour of Discord as a one stop shop.

It is universal, would do everything and having used it, is simple to operate. The rest of VATSIM is moving towards Discord, or so it seems to me 🙂

Michael Pike

There's enough discord on VATSIM already if you ask me! Even the name puts me off.

Anastasios Mpithas

First of all I would like to clarify that I don't think the current Slack/TS setup is bad. In fact I didn't like Discord at all last year (and I still don't partially).

I have stated that I find our TS setup almost flawless, and I really like it (as a software generally, but our server aswell) compared to Discord voice channels.

Yes, I have to agree that the advantages of moving to Discord (from Slack) are minimal, for the time being.

I opened up this thread, to discuss the pros and cons of moving from Slack to Discord. After reading Calum's response, which confirmed my thought that redeveloping the required Addons/Bots to support Discord would "absorb" much time from other projects that are more important, and the thoughts of Tom, Adam, Trevor, Simon, Nathan, and all of the other people from the similar thread, I completely agree that Slack is fine.

If Discord introduces more new features, and has a clear advantage over Slack(/TS), I am sure it will be considered in the future.