Help with new SMR files.

Will Cottam

Hello,

Was just wondering how do I download/add airports not included in the UK Controller Pack to Euroscope? I don't want to be limited to those in the pack.

There must be a way of doing it because I've seen ground controllers at aerodromes where there are no SMR files in the default UK Controller Pack.

Thanks in advance,

Will

Any specific examples? The vast majority of UK airfields are covered by the UK pack ?

If it's not in the UK Controller Pack, you'll either need to find one in another controller pack, or create it yourself ? Alternatively make a request on the UK Sector File repo (https://github.com/VATSIM-UK/UK-Sector-File/issues) and maybe one of the nice people there will make it for you ?

Edited by Andy Ford

Hi Will,

There's some terminology associated with Controller Packs and Sector Files that you'll slowly get to know. The Sector File (the files named 'UK' within the Data/Sector folder, which is inside the pack) contains all the data that enables EuroScope to 'draw out' these SMRs / ground maps. When you open EuroScope however, you select a profile - these are files that instruct EuroScope to load particular settings and ASRs (radar/SMR screens with particular objects turned on to see). Basically, there are profiles designed to load up the appropriate settings and ASRs for a number of major (usually training) aerodromes, but where a profile doesn't exist, you should use the profiles in the Generic folder. Then, once you've opened this, you can use the following command to centre your screen on a particular airport. Say, for example, you wanted to control Newquay EGHQ, you would type:

.center EGHQ

and press enter!

If you were to open the Generic Combined profile, it will probably come up with a Radar screen (an ASR designed for a Radar/Tower controller) - as detailed in the README.pdf that comes with the controller pack, you can use the quick select options to switch between ASRs. For now, as an S1, the Generic SMR profile will probably be most useful though, which you can move to different airports using the command above.

Let me know if you're confused at all...

Edited by Harry Sugden

Yes! That worked! Thank you so much. Might be worth mentioning this to new controllers as I've been trying to find out how since I got my rating. Thank you!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Sugden said:

are new controllers pointed to instructions on how to update their sector file? 

Not that I know of, but I managed to figure that out myself through the README files in the UK Controller Pack thread on this forum.

One more thing I forgot to mention, how do I get crib sheets for airports not in the VATSIM UK Downloads page?

Just now, Will Cottam said:

how do I get crib sheets for airports not in the VATSIM UK Downloads page

If they're not there, they don't exist unfortunately. Try instead searching for the vMATS - which should be your main reference for controlling an airport anyway, as the crib sheet is for 'quick reference'. Which airport specifically can't you find?

1 minute ago, Harry Sugden said:

Which airport specifically can't you find?

I wasn't looking for a specific airport I was just asking hypothetically, thank you! ?