Trevor Hannant

event - overload [19-20 May, 0800-1800z] South West Overload

Trevor Hannant

2018WestonBanner.png

South West based VA Severnair, in collaboration with VATSIM UK, are proud to present "South West Overload".

Over the weekend of 19th & 20th May, ATC services at Bristol, Cardiff & Jersey will be coming live from a conference room in Weston-Super-Mare providing a seamless service to all flying to, from and over the South West of the UK. For this event, all controlling at these three airfields will be conducted from a single conference room at the event.   

We look forward to seeing you on the scopes!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I book a controlling slot to help?
A: Feel free to open one of the other South West airfields during event hours (Exeter, Newquay or any of the smaller airfields).  For ease of co-ordination, the three airfields listed above will be fully controlled from the event only during event hours.

Q: Can I control here outside of the event?
A: These restrictions are only in place during the event's opening hours (0800z-1800z / 0900-1900 BST) for the airfields being manned - feel free to jump on elsewhere in the South West or on these airfields before or after these hours to either generate traffic for the start of the event, or "tidy up" the traffic that's still around as the team log off for food (and perhaps adult beverages!).

Q: When will the slots be released?
A: There are no slots for this event, just turn up and fly!

Q: Who are Severnair?
A: Severnair is a VA that has it's base in the South West of England. Severnair members have organised and run displays at Weston-Super-Mare at the FSC Weston event for several years, including the VATSIM controlling positions.

Q: Why are you not at the FSC event this year?
A: Due to technical issues, events at the Museum over the last two years have provided the team with a number of challenges.  With the Museum focussing heavily on Drone racing (including video uplinks/downlinks), the quality of the internet provision available was severely limited resulting in large number of dropouts.  This, coupled with the fact that the Museum is stopping organising it's Flight Sim Convention, meant that to offer the best service possible for this annual VATSIM UK event, it was prudent to move to a venue with dedicated internet facilities available to the team.

Thanks to @Callum Axon for the banner!

Edited by Trevor Hannant
Nathan Donnelly, Callum Axon, Jonas Hey and 5 others like this

Alex Hodgkinson

I am truly distraught that this year will be the first year In my whole VATSIM career that I will miss the jewel in the crown that is "The Other Chap" - I hear, that after an extended absence he is returning this year?

Good luck to everyone who flies and those controlling, I'm sure you don't need me but please control Bradley this year. He was most disappointed I ate his food last year after he went rather "unwell"...

...PS... Where is "he?"

Edited by Alex Hodgkinson
Trevor Hannant likes this

Dan Bishop-Adams

‘The Other Chap’ will indeed be there again this year, as he was last year. A very much anticipated star appearance.

Alex Hodgkinson, Trevor Hannant, Bill Casey and 1 other like this

Bill Casey

And for the first time since the heady days of the Paignton weekends (14 years since?) we finally have an en suite beach again!

Dan Bishop-Adams and Trevor Hannant like this

Sebastian Wheeler

Guernsey tower booked! I've booked quite a large slot, but i'll be taking breaks! anyone is welcome to override at any time!

Bill Casey and Dan Bishop-Adams like this

Josh Akehurst

Guernsey Ground booked as well! I've also booked a large slot! depending on how it's goes, I may stay on longer than what I've booked! @Sebastian Wheeler Lets hope we have a nice about of traffic!

Looking forward to the event, hopefully it's nice and busy!

Edited by Josh Akehurst

Trevor Hannant

Jersey Control is being handled from the event.

Alex Hodgkinson likes this

Dan Bishop-Adams

Yep all EGJJ positions will be staffed from the event only. (But that event isn’t the FSC 😉 )

Edited by Dan Bishop-Adams
Bill Casey likes this

Bill Casey

That's the spirit chaps! With no public to display to this year we decided to open up the rest of the SW to all-comers so it's good to see Guernsey getting some coverage. We still have Newquay, Exeter, Alderney and all the GA fields open to grabbers, even St Mary's! The intention was to make it a full South West Overload rather than just the main airports.

The snag for me is, I've actually got to do this flying malarkey. For public shows I just stick it in the BRI Hold for the weekend so I can talk to the punters but I'll actually have to go places this year. At least we'll have liquid refreshments to sustain us - if we can keep away from the beach.

Edited by Bill Casey
Trevor Hannant, Alex Hodgkinson and Dan Bishop-Adams like this

Bill Casey

Splendid weekend and a BIG thanks to all the pilots who made the effort to fly in and around. Some sterling stints by the controllers notably that @Andy Colley who produced an excellent display at EGJJ. 

Nice one, thanks again piloty folks! 

James Bayliss-de Gruchy and Trevor Hannant like this

Gary Oliver

Very proper, realistic and professional job guys.

Was great meeting some new friends and catching up with old ones....

I am never opening bandbox again!

Michael Pike, Callum Axon, Bill Casey and 2 others like this

Callum Axon

Another truly fantastic weekend, chaps & the Bishop. Thanks to all that flew on both days - until next year.

Bill Casey, Dan Bishop-Adams and Trevor Hannant like this

Daniel Button

Fantastic event, good to see lots of support from the VATSIM community.

See you all next year for another South West Overload!

Edited by Daniel Button
Dan Bishop-Adams and Trevor Hannant like this

Bill Casey
19 hours ago, Daniel Button said:

Fantastic event, good to see lots of support from the VATSIM community.

See you all next year for another South West Overload!

The Politburo is already working on it after a highly succesful first use of that location. Next year we'll even have our own barrels in our own bar! Can't fault that idea. Hopefully we'll have found Roi's volume control by then, if not bring your own ear defenders.

Callum Axon, Dan Bishop-Adams and Trevor Hannant like this

Callum Axon
2 hours ago, Bill Casey said:

The Politburo is already working on it after a highly succesful first use of that location. Next year we'll even have our own barrels in our own bar! Can't fault that idea. Hopefully we'll have found Roi's volume control by then, if not bring your own ear defenders.

I have no idea what you're talking about...  I personally blame the headset equipped with noise cancellation, rather than the fermented liquid consumption.