Taxiway Labelling

Ivan Yap

Hello,

I've always been curious to know: is there a way to add/enable taxiway identifiers to be present on Euroscope SMRs? I've had a look around but I can't seem to find anything on Euroscope to allow this, and there was a post about someone doing this before in this topic, but no clear way of how to do it. 

Thanks!

Hi Ivan,
Do you mean that instead of saying all of the holding points e.g 'J1' 'G4' etc, it says 'J' 'G' and shows the taxiway names? 

24 minutes ago, Fergus Walsh said:

Hi Ivan,
Do you mean that instead of saying all of the holding points e.g 'J1' 'G4' etc, it says 'J' 'G' and shows the taxiway names? 

Hey Fergus,

It would be nice if it had the holding points and the taxiway identifiers, but whether that's even possible - I don't know.

Edited by Ivan Yap

I think these can be added as free text, but I'm no expert on ES and the how so I will let someone else fill in the detail if I'm vaguely in the right direction or correct me otherwise.

I may be wrong but I seem to remember the VATUK sector file does not include them due to performance issues for some low end computers, you can add them yourself if you want to. 

These are some instructions from the VATUK Sector File Repo on GitHub

The data for this should be placed in \Airports{ICAO}\SMR\Labels.txt

The compiler will call for this data in the [LABELS] Section

The data should be either taken from the associated textual data (e.g for stand positions) or can be created using the .sline command in EuroScope to provide an uncluttered display (e.g. for Holding Point labels).

The text you wish to display should be at the start of the line with quote marks ("") surrounding it, followed by the coordinates, followed by a colour defintion such as "standHold"

"A1" N054.39.47.986 W006.11.50.773 standHold
"A2" N054.39.48.474 W006.11.57.580 standHold
"A3" N054.39.41.214 W006.12.25.046 standHold
"B" N054.39.32.855 W006.12.51.062 standHold

Information on the ".sline" command is as follows

.sline

The most useful command for an ese file developer. It collects successive geographic coordinate points in the clipboard in a ready to be pasted form in an ese file. To use it, type .sline in the command bar and Enter. Then LEFT click on every point you want to be included in your definition. When you have finished collecting points, just RIGHT click to end the command. You can now paste your resulting data everywhere you need to. The data are formatted in a correct manner for direct insertion as COORD points.

Yes, extra lines can cause problems, however I don't think it's the main reason.

It's just good practice to learn the airfield layout, that's the whole idea. Some of the SMRs (certainly the ones I drew) aim to replicate the real world display, having the taxiway identifiers displayed not only makes it cluttered, but it makes it (in my opinion) too easy. Control the airport, get to know and you'll soon find that there's no need for them! 

Edited by Luke Brown
  • Like 2

In the majority of cases, you can work out the taxiways just by having the holds turned on - if you see a taxiway that has holding points A1, A2, A3 and A4 on it, you can be pretty sure that it's Taxiway A :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luke Brown said:

It's just good practice to learn the airfield layout, that's the whole idea. ... Control the airport, get to know and you'll soon find that there's no need for them! 

This ^ !!

The first thing I teach every single new trainee for real is that you need to learn the geography of the airfield and then everything becomes so much easier; don't be lazy!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Michael Benson said:

This ^ !!

The first thing I teach every single new trainee for real is that you need to learn the geography of the airfield and then everything becomes so much easier; don't be lazy!

Yep... sounds good. Now it does seem logical. Thanks for all of your replies, I'll get to learn the geography of all the airports that I control. ?

16 hours ago, Andy Ford said:

In the majority of cases, you can work out the taxiways just by having the holds turned on - if you see a taxiway that has holding points A1, A2, A3 and A4 on it, you can be pretty sure that it's Taxiway A :)

Aberdeen? ;)

51 minutes ago, Sebastian Wheeler said:

Aberdeen? ;)

Then you've got this handy chart to help you out!

http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-6587229D508FC89B49BB0810CB0DC918/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/Charts/AD/NON_AIRAC/EG_AD_2_EGPD_2-3_en_2016-11-10.pdf

Edited by Connor Faulder
wrong link...