Scheduled Maintenance - All Services - 23/02/2018 22:00 UTC

A maintenance period for multiple services has been scheduled for Friday 23rd February at 22:00 UTC. The expected duration of this maintenance is 1 hour. Two periods of downtime of less than 10-15 seconds are expected. Additional information is available at https://status.vatsim.uk/.

Updates will be posted at https://status.vatsim.uk/. To report any problems or issues after the maintenance has been completed, please visit https://helpdesk.vatsim.uk/

Joseph Shewfelt

pilot-discussion Unicom Radio Handoffs

Joseph Shewfelt

When I am handed off to unicom, how do I know what ATC channel I should go to after? For example if I am flying EGKK to LFPG, do I have to wait until LFPG_APPR shows in my list of in-range ATC channels? And if LFPG_APPR wasn't online, what would I do?

Oliver Rhodes

If the position under which you would normally be operating is not online, and there is no controller available to cover it 'top down', you would continue to monitor UNICOM, broadcasting your intentions as appropriate (e.g. "LFPG traffic, EZY123 establishing ILS 26R, 10 miles", or something to that effect).

There are a lot of different sectors across Europe and indeed the rest of the world, so it would be ridiculous to suggest that you should know them all and contact them when appropriate. Some you'll come to know as you fly there often, but if you're unsure, you can always message controllers to ask. Controllers will also send you a 'contact me' if they need you on their frequency, so don't worry about not being 'in the right place'!

Max Beckett likes this

Fergus Walsh

Hi Joseph,
As stated above, controllers will normally send what is known as a 'ContactMe'. This is something that you will receive via Private Message and it will say something like 'Please contact me on 121.850'. If you think you are in an airspace where a controller is online but you haven't been contacted, PM the controller and they can sort it out. 
Hope this helps.

Joseph Shewfelt

thanks for the answers, guys, I really appreciate all of it :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joseph Shewfelt
      By Joseph Shewfelt
      When I start descent for landing, how do I request permission? How do I request clearance for landing? Do I need permission to intercept ILS, or do I need to tell ATC when I'm doing it, or do I just do it? Could someone go over all communications with ATC done during an approach, final and ILS landing? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
      Joseph
    • Len Henning
      By Len Henning
      Here's wishing all Members of VATSIM, a very Merry Festive Season
      Len Henning
      Training Administrator, CIX VFR CLUB
    • Joseph Messore
      By Joseph Messore
      Hi folks,
      Prior to a little adventure I have planned over the holidays, while I know it is possible to switch from VFR to IFR in flight, in the UK specifically, I presume it isn't as simple as going IFR to VFR? Where you could just say;
      "N925JM, cancel IFR" and take new instruction if applicable.
      Providing that everything has been planned for both VFR and IFR contingencies, which when I do these flights, I would do, if I were to be in contact with London, and ask;
      "N925JM, request change to IFR" or other correct R/T.
      Would I either refile a new IFR plan, to be cleared by London, or (workload permitting) just say a basic flightplan/route over frequency if asked?
      Would appreciate some clarification, and a pointer to the relevant CAP493 section, if there is one, will hold my hands up and say I'm not as proficient with that document as I should be 
      Thanks all!
    • Rhys Marston
      By Rhys Marston
      This is one for a few pilots out there.
      Many pilots report "Runway vacated" and most of the time they are actually lying without even knowing it! That's why I thought I would bring this up.
      Almost every airport you look at will have designated points at which you "vacate the runway" from. For example, at Gatwick you can vacate the runway via E if operating on 26L. HOWEVER (and this is a big HOWEVER), just because you are on E doesn't necessarily mean you have vacated the runway. In actual fact, you need to have passed E1 before you have vacated the runway. Therefore, if you are on E but haven't passed E1, you are still (technically) occupying the runway. What does this mean? Well, it means that because you are still on the runway, controllers cannot allow aircraft to land or depart safely. 
      Most pilots will report "runway vacated" and continue moving along E, passing E1 and eventually making a right turn onto 08L (for example). However (these are the people this post is aimed at), SOME pilots have a habit of stopping before E1 and request taxi from there. The big thing here is that you have stopped on the active runway and that you're still occupying it. Again, what does this mean? Controllers cannot allow aircraft to land or depart. If traffic levels are high this can be especially annoying as arrival spacing is limited. Controllers really don't want to issue go-arounds because someone hasn't vacated the runway. 
      What can I do to stop this catastrophe? If, for example, vacating 26L at Gatwick from E, make sure you keep moving at (moderately) high speed beyond E1 to ensure you are fully clear of the runway as soon as it is safely possible. This way, the work done by the controllers to get perfect separation on the arrivals and the work by tower to get the departures out as efficiently as possible won't go to waste. 
      By the way, it's not just virtual pilots that do this. Many times have I been called up in Aeros from the tower to arrange a debrief for GA pilots who have actually parked while still technically occupying the runway (as you can imagine, the voice at the other end of the phone isn't all happy!). The thought lots of pilots have is "If I stop, I can't be doing any damage". In actual fact, you're doing more damage by stopping than if you were to carry on. Of course, if you were to be really stuck and you had no idea of where you are allowed to go/not allowed to go, you can always double check with the controller or by simply reading the latest charts.  
    • Ian Niblo
      By Ian Niblo
      Hi all,
      I've finally finished rebuilding my 737 cockpit and now I need co-pilots to help me fly it. I'm based in Rayleigh, Essex so if you're relatively local to me and fancy regular on-line flights in a full sized 737-800 cockpit please get in touch. I'm ideally looking for people who can already fly and are familiar with VATSIM procedures but we all have to start somewhere so don't let that put you off!
      There a little more info on my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/SimAirUK/  but don't be alarmed by the name, this is a hobby cockpit, no fees or charges - just the fun of flying on VATSIM in an immersive cockpit environment
      If you're interested, send me a PM either here or on FB and we can talk some more. Thanks all - hope to hear from you!
      Ian