Scheduled Maintenance - Community (Forums) & Website - 08/06/2018 23:00 BST

A maintenance period for Community (Forums) and Website has been scheduled for Sunday 8th June at 23:00 BST. The expected duration of this maintenance is 2 hours. The affected services will be unavailable throughout. For more information, visit https://status.vatsim.uk/incidents/hgf4gh9p5zlz.

Updates will be posted at https://status.vatsim.uk/incidents/hgf4gh9p5zlz. To report any problems or issues after the maintenance has been completed, please visit https://helpdesk.vatsim.uk/

Joseph Shewfelt

pilot-discussion Unicom Radio Handoffs

Joseph Shewfelt

When I am handed off to unicom, how do I know what ATC channel I should go to after? For example if I am flying EGKK to LFPG, do I have to wait until LFPG_APPR shows in my list of in-range ATC channels? And if LFPG_APPR wasn't online, what would I do?

Oliver Rhodes

If the position under which you would normally be operating is not online, and there is no controller available to cover it 'top down', you would continue to monitor UNICOM, broadcasting your intentions as appropriate (e.g. "LFPG traffic, EZY123 establishing ILS 26R, 10 miles", or something to that effect).

There are a lot of different sectors across Europe and indeed the rest of the world, so it would be ridiculous to suggest that you should know them all and contact them when appropriate. Some you'll come to know as you fly there often, but if you're unsure, you can always message controllers to ask. Controllers will also send you a 'contact me' if they need you on their frequency, so don't worry about not being 'in the right place'!

Fergus Walsh

Hi Joseph,
As stated above, controllers will normally send what is known as a 'ContactMe'. This is something that you will receive via Private Message and it will say something like 'Please contact me on 121.850'. If you think you are in an airspace where a controller is online but you haven't been contacted, PM the controller and they can sort it out. 
Hope this helps.

Joseph Shewfelt

thanks for the answers, guys, I really appreciate all of it :)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Andrew Pym
      By Andrew Pym
      Morning,
      Out of interest, how many people actively search on Twitch for controllers who stream? I know you get bigger channels streaming London etc, I understand its more interesting but would you watch for example a Manchester Tower stream?
      All feedback welcome!

Thanks in Advance
       - Andrew
    • Callum McLoughlin
      By Callum McLoughlin
      Anybody fancy joining me on a little jaunt to Heraklion (LGIR) on the sunny island of Crete? The Greeks are laying on some ATC this afternoon and it would be a shame to miss out on it. I was planning on departing EGGP around 12:30 UK time as ATC is booked, so making the return 'do-able' as it wouldn't be that late getting back to scouse land. I'll post a route in a bit if anybody shows an interest 🙂
      https://www.vatsim.net/events/summer-overload
      It makes the approach a lot more fun when a little Greek Island has lots of planes heading towards it.
    • Matthew Christopher
      By Matthew Christopher
      I sometimes fly dual cockpit on vatsim but I use X plane which uses a client in which I do not think it is possible to connect as an obs. Therefore, what are the best practices for dual cockpit in this way (someone suggested to me that a charactercould be out on the end of a callsign so that euroscope would filter out the other pilot, but I haven't found anything about this). Thanks.
    • Daniel Crookes
      By Daniel Crookes
      Hi all,
      There will be a 'Drop in Session' for any Pilots flying for Cross the Pond wishing to ask questions about their flight. If you can't think of any, then read our North Atlantic Oceanic Pilot Guide and see if you come up with any!
      We will be available between 18:00 - 19:00z on our TeamSpeak Server.
      See you there!
      Dan
    • Michael Nikel
      By Michael Nikel
      I just came across a question which for sure had been asked many times before.
      I'am departing on an SID with Altitude Restrictions on the Chart and i got a "Climb FL070". Does that mean that i can climb to FL070 with or without the SID Restrictions?
      That's what i found on the internet :
      Is that still valid and does that also apply to Vatsim?
      "Climb FL070" means i have to follow the restrictions. "Climb now FL070" means the Restrictions are cancelled.
      Greetings
      Michael