Exeter (EGTE) Alternative SMR - Feedback

George Peppard

Hi,

I spent this morning working on an alternative SMR for Exeter (EGTE) - my internet was out so it was a good way to kill time ;)

f1e5c8.png

Feedback is most welcome.

George

• Like 2

The layout looks fairly accurate, personally I would change the colors of the aprons and taxiways to make them stand out against the colour of the runway. Ideally the region for the runway should be one colour, the taxiways a different colour and the aprons another.

The colour scheme does, however, fit with standard conventions for new UK SMRs (if we can't find a real world colour scheme to match). However, you'll have to speak to Chris about whether replacing the work of the previous SMR author would be appropriate @George Peppard, especially as I don't see any issues with it! :)

Perhaps Coventry, Blackpool, Carlisle or Durham might be worth having a look at?

44 minutes ago, Alex Hodgkinson said:

The layout looks fairly accurate, personally I would change the colors of the aprons and taxiways to make them stand out against the colour of the runway. Ideally the region for the runway should be one colour, the taxiways a different colour and the aprons another.

Noted, I’ll play around with the colours (especially the GA parking - I hate that bright green!) ^_^ Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Harry Sugden said:

The colour scheme does, however, fit with standard conventions for new UK SMRs (if we can't find a real world colour scheme to match). However, you'll have to speak to Chris about whether replacing the work of the previous SMR author would be appropriate @George Peppard, especially as I don't see any issues with it! :)

Perhaps Coventry, Blackpool, Carlisle or Durham might be worth having a look at?

Cheers :) The old one is fine, so I’m not too bothered about replacing it (this was more me getting used to the tools) - but my case has been referred to the BT Network Team so there will be many more internetless days I'm sure - so one of those 4 will most certainly be in the works soon ^_^

I'd like to make one small point about SMRs in general. Like any radar screen, I suggest everything on there is a background. It's the aircraft and datablocks I want to see standing out. It's useful to distinguish the runway from the rest of the manoeuvring area but not essential. And I certainly don't want to see runway markings (apart from the threshold) or taxiway centrelines. When using an SMR to cover ground from a higher position, you can't set the symbology independently for SMRs so the SMR colours have to work with the aircraft symbol and tag colours that you use on any other radar screen.

This design and the existing one are both OK for me (apart from the bright green grass parking) but George's has an up to date ground layout. 

54 minutes ago, Michael Pike said:

This design and the existing one are both OK for me (apart from the bright green grass parking) but George's has an up to date ground layout.

I agree - I was expecting smrGrass2 to be a little less...vivid :P

As a learn for the PPL out of Exeter I am going to be a bit picky but it looks really good howeverrrrr, if people connect on the grass apron, they will not appear as they are on the Grass representation of this SMR. However, everything else is good just the grass apron is quite far off :P

(And, if you wish to model it, there is a little turning circle to the left of the taxiway just before h/p F1 which is used for Run-ups by VFR aircraft ;) )

On 12/30/2017 at 16:27, Morgan Stone said:

if people connect on the grass apron, they will not appear as they are on the Grass representation of this SMR. However, everything else is good just the grass apron is quite far off :P

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The layout on the SMR looks almost identical to the layout of the grass apron on the AIP chart? (and that of the actual edges of the grass apron) Are you saying the scenery doesn't match the sector file?

(And, if you wish to model it, there is a little turning circle to the left of the taxiway just before h/p F1 which is used for Run-ups by VFR aircraft ;) )

Whilst you are quite correct the turning circle you speak of has no taxiway markings on it and isn't depicted on the aerodrome chart. I think we need to be careful here about being too detailed. You could also argue the links between taxiway foxtrot and the NPAS/DAA hangars aren't there, but are they essential?

Edited by Alex Hodgkinson