Alex Beard

atc-discussion New Controller Success

Louie Lister

Well done to @James Clarke on passing his OBS-S1 at Edinburgh yesterday!

Edited by Louie Lister

James Clarke

Thank you guys for your time, I appreciate it! 

George Peppard

Congratulations to James Stubbs who passed his OBS-S1 this morning with a strong performance at Manchester. Very well done!

George Peppard

Congratulations to @Harrison Grose for completing his S1 with a very strong performance at Manchester tonight. Well done - enjoy the rating!

Edited by George Peppard
Tag user

Harrison Grose

Thank you so much mate, can't wait to issue some taxi instructions xD

Thomas Hallam

Well done.

Edited by Thomas Hallam

Sebastian Wheeler

Kicking off the thread again, please congratulate @Liam Giles For passing his S1 at Manchester!

Harrison Grose

Congrats and welcome to the squad @Liam Giles!! Look forward to controlling with ya!! 😄

-Harrison

Harrison Grose

And now it's me bringing this thread back to life, congrats to @Craig Haskell for passing his S1 on Manchester tonight! Happy controlling!!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Maher Abaza
      By Maher Abaza
      Hello all,
      I was accepted yesterday to control in the UK under VG5. The email said I could control anywhere specified in that area without the need for any sessions of familiarization.
      I really think I should be getting at least an introductory session for controlling in the UK. I hope I can find some available members of this community (C1 controllers, not necessarily mentors or INS rated) to help me get in the groove rather than embarrass myself and annoy pilots on London West Control 🙂
      Help appreciated,
      Maher
    • Amedeo Fasano
      By Amedeo Fasano
      Hello,
      i have just started using VATSIM.
      In the real aviation life I fly from Oxford (EGTK) and have an instrument rating. I intend to use VATSIM to initially simulate IFR flights from and to Oxford using other IFR airports in UK and France as destinations. Oxford is in class G and my destination airports might or might not be in class D (but they will be IFR aerodromes). I might also fly in CAS only during portions of the flight. For example flying from Oxford to Newquay at FL100 (I fly an SR22) will have both aerodromes with instrument procedures available but located in class G and will contain only a portion of the flight being in class A and in airways and/or over class D CTRs which I will need clearance to transit. I will of course file a flight plan. This is a typical mission in my real aviation life. The questions I have are the following ones:
      1) will I be able to talk to Oxford and Newquay for IFR , departure and arrival clearances and control even if in the controllers on line list I do not see controllers active in these airports? I am referring in particular to the TWR and APP frequencies which are fundamentally important on departures and arrivals. Yesterday I  saw that there were controllers in Manchester and was able to talk to them. Then I repositioned myself in Oxford and I was not able to talk to a controller (there was no controller indicated as active in Oxford).
      2) would the answer to question 1 be different if I was departing and/or arriving from/into airports in class D?  Is there always a controller available in class D airports?
      3) do I need to see a controller active for London control in order to be cleared to enter controlled airspace and obtain radar control service?
      4) what will happen during the portions of the flight when I will be outside CAS? In the real life normally I would be handed over to a LARS controller who will give me traffic service or even deconfliction service if I ask for it, being on an IFR FPL. I might also move from a class A airspace over to a Class D airspace if there is a class D CTR on route (for example Cardiff or Bristol in the above mentioned example). How will the handover from London control to the respective en route clad D airspace work? Can I assume that there will be controller available for the class D zones to give clearance and control (either radar or procedural control)?
      in a nutsheel my questions are about controllers availability to control IFR flights in the UK airspace. In the real life they are there from beginning to end (including London Information if there is no other ATCU available). What about in the VATSIM world? Or in VATSIM I am supposed to first check what controllers are available and then define my flight plan according to controllers’ availability?
      i attach a PDF with the flight plan for the EGTK-EGHQ flight in the example
      Apologies for the long question. I tried to be as clear as I could be.
      Help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      FlightLog EGTK-EGHQ 190225 1130.pdf
    • Magnus Meese
      By Magnus Meese
      I’ve been zipping around the country VFR the last few days exploring FTX England, and have assumed Radio-airports are not serviced on the network. Relevant CTR has been online during some of my flights, and I’ve communicated appropriately for TWR &AFIS fields, but remained on unicom without complain for all the AGs. Then yesterday I had a thought to look up the rule for this, and while I found none, some posts describe S2s manning AG-positions. 
      The question then becomes, does top down apply here, or would APP and CTR prefer not to be having to pay attention to one guy reporting in and out of such aerodromes during their hours of service?
    • Louie Lister
      By Louie Lister
      Hi All,
      I've just logged onto Heathrow for the first time in a while. My adjacent controllers are telling me they're being told that GMC now does the stand allocation. I've always been under the impression that GMP has always had the role of stand allocation, it's always what I was taught and have taught. 
      This is apparently coming from ATC staff/LL Mentors that this is a Heathrow specific. However, in the vMATS and Moodle, it mentions that GMP has this role at Heathrow. We have a Heathrow event coming up next month, so could someone help clear this up beforehand to save confusion amongst the GMC & GMP controllers to guarantee a smooth running event. 
      Thanks in advance,
      Louie

• Lewis Hammett
      By Lewis Hammett
      Dear all,
      There is a P1 exam this Sunday evening 10th Feb; the candidate would appreciate some ATC to help make the exam a success.
      Please can we ask for ATC cover from EGCC, LONDON & EGKK; beginning from 18:30Z (EGCC).
      Many thanks,
      Lewis