1. Joe Burberry

Joe Burberry

• Similar Content

• Edward Berkley
      By Edward Berkley
      Hello all,
      I feel like this question has already been asked before and I do apologise if this question has already been answered!
      I plan to do a bit of early morning controlling at EGCC during CTP. Is there a procedure for pilots that do not have a booking for CTP but wish to travel over the Atlantic anyway, joining the rest of the traffic? 
      I'm guessing they will be held back but will there be someone who gives the 'go-ahead' on whether that aircraft will be cleared to cross the pond or not? It's obvious that the Atlantic will be extremely busy!
      Edward
    • Nick Marinov
      By Nick Marinov
      Hi all,
      As usual, there will be seminars for those who want to control the more tricky positions during CTP. As you may all know, this time around we are departing from Gatwick. As such, two seminars have been created for controllers who wish to control for the event. The seminars will cover specific procedures that will be followed during CTP for all ADC and APC positions. The seminars have been scheduled as follows:
      Thursday 28th March 1800z-1900z Friday 29th March 1900z-2000z The sessions have been opened to all S1+ rated members of the division and you can sign up from the CTS->Students->Seminars menu.
      Controllers who want to control GMP: it is mandatory that you attend one of the seminars. If you can't make them, please let me know via a private message or an email and we can arrange something during the week.
      Attendance of controllers who do not wish to control GMP is not mandatory, however, it is advised that those controllers attend.
      The seminars should last around an hour (max) each. Time for questions has been included in this.
      If you have any questions, please let me know.
    • Maher Abaza
      By Maher Abaza
      Hello all,
      I was accepted yesterday to control in the UK under VG5. The email said I could control anywhere specified in that area without the need for any sessions of familiarization.
      I really think I should be getting at least an introductory session for controlling in the UK. I hope I can find some available members of this community (C1 controllers, not necessarily mentors or INS rated) to help me get in the groove rather than embarrass myself and annoy pilots on London West Control 🙂
      Help appreciated,
      Maher
    • Amedeo Fasano
      By Amedeo Fasano
      Hello,
      i have just started using VATSIM.
      In the real aviation life I fly from Oxford (EGTK) and have an instrument rating. I intend to use VATSIM to initially simulate IFR flights from and to Oxford using other IFR airports in UK and France as destinations. Oxford is in class G and my destination airports might or might not be in class D (but they will be IFR aerodromes). I might also fly in CAS only during portions of the flight. For example flying from Oxford to Newquay at FL100 (I fly an SR22) will have both aerodromes with instrument procedures available but located in class G and will contain only a portion of the flight being in class A and in airways and/or over class D CTRs which I will need clearance to transit. I will of course file a flight plan. This is a typical mission in my real aviation life. The questions I have are the following ones:
      1) will I be able to talk to Oxford and Newquay for IFR , departure and arrival clearances and control even if in the controllers on line list I do not see controllers active in these airports? I am referring in particular to the TWR and APP frequencies which are fundamentally important on departures and arrivals. Yesterday I  saw that there were controllers in Manchester and was able to talk to them. Then I repositioned myself in Oxford and I was not able to talk to a controller (there was no controller indicated as active in Oxford).
      2) would the answer to question 1 be different if I was departing and/or arriving from/into airports in class D?  Is there always a controller available in class D airports?
      3) do I need to see a controller active for London control in order to be cleared to enter controlled airspace and obtain radar control service?
      4) what will happen during the portions of the flight when I will be outside CAS? In the real life normally I would be handed over to a LARS controller who will give me traffic service or even deconfliction service if I ask for it, being on an IFR FPL. I might also move from a class A airspace over to a Class D airspace if there is a class D CTR on route (for example Cardiff or Bristol in the above mentioned example). How will the handover from London control to the respective en route clad D airspace work? Can I assume that there will be controller available for the class D zones to give clearance and control (either radar or procedural control)?
      in a nutsheel my questions are about controllers availability to control IFR flights in the UK airspace. In the real life they are there from beginning to end (including London Information if there is no other ATCU available). What about in the VATSIM world? Or in VATSIM I am supposed to first check what controllers are available and then define my flight plan according to controllers’ availability?
      i attach a PDF with the flight plan for the EGTK-EGHQ flight in the example
      Apologies for the long question. I tried to be as clear as I could be.
      Help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      FlightLog EGTK-EGHQ 190225 1130.pdf
    • Magnus Meese
      By Magnus Meese
      I’ve been zipping around the country VFR the last few days exploring FTX England, and have assumed Radio-airports are not serviced on the network. Relevant CTR has been online during some of my flights, and I’ve communicated appropriately for TWR &AFIS fields, but remained on unicom without complain for all the AGs. Then yesterday I had a thought to look up the rule for this, and while I found none, some posts describe S2s manning AG-positions. 
      The question then becomes, does top down apply here, or would APP and CTR prefer not to be having to pay attention to one guy reporting in and out of such aerodromes during their hours of service?