Jump to content
Steven Messenger

Diabetic Pilot PPL

Recommended Posts

Steve Riley
9 minutes ago, Steven Messenger said:

Personally I don't get symptoms at 5, but their main rule is if you feel something, test! 

I carry disinfectant wipes in my BM kit when flying and give everything a wipe down once brakes on:).

Thats great but does the CFI know of the infection risk , suggest you tell him and your infection control measures.

Its ok in the home environment but in a public place which technically the flight deck is as its used by others who may have uncovered wounds on their hands could catch HEP C from that little blood spot you missed that dropped on the flap leaver , trim wheel etc. If they have not had a HEP C inoculation 

Its an IP and C risk ( infection,prevention and control) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven Messenger
5 minutes ago, Steve Riley said:

Thats great but does the CFI know of the infection risk , suggest you tell him and your infection control measures.

Its ok in the home environment but in a public place which technically the flight deck is as its used by others who may have uncovered wounds on their hands could catch HEP C from that little blood spot you missed that dropped on the flap leaver , trim wheel etc. If they have not had a HEP C inoculation 

Its an IP and C risk ( infection,prevention and control) 

I'll pass it on :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve Riley
Just now, Steven Messenger said:

I'll pass it on :)

Great , its just not only to protect you but others as well.

 

 FYI The Hepatitis virus can live outside the body for up to 3 weeks on environmental surfaces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott Biglin

Hi Steven,

Congratulations on your first solo! I'm Type 1 Diabetic myself and I hope to do the same as you and maybe, just maybe become an airline pilot! The CAA rules seem quite laid back, as in you can fly all the way up to 20 mmol/L!  The only problem seems to be getting the medical in the first place!

Kind Regards,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven Messenger
10 hours ago, Scott Biglin said:

Hi Steven,

Congratulations on your first solo! I'm Type 1 Diabetic myself and I hope to do the same as you and maybe, just maybe become an airline pilot! The CAA rules seem quite laid back, as in you can fly all the way up to 20 mmol/L!  The only problem seems to be getting the medical in the first place!

Kind Regards,

Scott

You can indeed fly up to 20, however ketones do start building around 14mmol, so if you get near 20 on a XCQ, I'd definitely become symptomatic (drinking, toilet etc) (probably not to much on shorter flights).

Find a good AME who is willing to help - I got knocked by 3 AMEs who didn't want to deal with me. You'll need a treadmill ECG which can be expensive (almost none of the tests for the CAA will be covered on the NHS and rightly so), then you've got your trip to Gatwick every year. If you need a hand with any of it, give me a message.

Edited by Steven Messenger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven Messenger

Video from my solo flight this morning PF-PK. My skill set doesn't include video editing or anything in that range of things, so a pretty raw video which is poorly trimmed with ATC overlay...enjoy :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stuart Duncan
15 hours ago, Steven Messenger said:

Video from my solo flight this morning PF-PK. My skill set doesn't include video editing or anything in that range of things, so a pretty raw video which is poorly trimmed with ATC overlay...enjoy :) 

 

Really enjoyed watching. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven Messenger
7 hours ago, Stuart Duncan said:

Really enjoyed watching. Thanks for sharing.

No worries :)  Camera died on the rejoin to Glasgow, I'll video the standard VFR exit/entry procedures soon enough :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Barry Martin Edwards

I used to fly real world (PA180's)up to solo standard,but that was over 50 years ago! so what are my chances now with type 2 diabetis and asma, of obtaining permission to fly once again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve Riley

Barry suggest you contact an AME the list is on the CAA website. They will advise you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×