Jamie Paine

discussion Splitting of Sections In APP Reports

Jamie Paine

Edited by Jamie Paine

Connor Faulder

I don't mind if stuff is recategorised but please don't split the APP reports any more than they already are. They're big enough already!

Edited by Connor Faulder

Jamie Paine
1 hour ago, Connor Faulder said:

I don't mind if stuff is recategorised but please don't split the APP reports any more than they already are. They're big enough already!

I agree with you Connor, but I believe the reports need to be lengthy as the S2-S3 course is extremely intensive and the splitting of a specific area will aid student progress so they can better visualise areas that they need to self-revise.

Andy Ford

Hi Jamie,

Whilst I can't give an exact timeframe, I know that revisiting criteria is on the todo list :)

Jamie Paine
Just now, Andy Ford said:

Hi Jamie,

Whilst I can't give an exact timeframe, I know that revisiting criteria is on the todo list :)

Excellent!:D

Nathan Donnelly

Strictly from a mentor perspective, I feel that the S2-S3 reports are too long and have been known to put people off mentoring, in the past.
I agree that it isn't ideal having four important topics covered by the same grade but moving forward, I don't think Sam is looking to make the reports any longer; quite the opposite in fact.

One for @Samuel James and @Alex Beard.

Michael Pike

When the S3 Moodle course is done and students start coming through that, hopefully the 'knowledge' section of the reports can disappear altogether. Any lack of knowledge will come to light and be discussed in the practical situations that arise. So for example perhaps the most important topic would be 'ensuring separation'. If a student fails to do that, the discussion will include what the basic requirement for separation is in that situation and why it wasn't applied (lack of experience usually not lack of knowledge).

I don't think I've viewed the existing reports as a syllabus that has to be taught subject by subject. There is already a requirement for students to prepare themselves to some extent. I see the headings in the report as a convenient breakdown under which to make comments about shortcomings, and achievements rather than a step-by-step teaching guide.

Of course, opinions differ and mentoring methods vary greatly between mentors, and quite rightly between students with the same mentor. I've opened up the topic quite a bit there but maybe the approach types knowledge section could usefully be split out in the short term. I can see the logic in that.

Samuel James

Thanks Jamie and others for raising your concerns. As @Nathan Donnelly and @Andy Ford have both correctly mentioned I am very keen to slim down the size of our mentoring reports. I want to make mentoring our students an enjoyable and rewarding experience and spending 30 mins filing a session report is not my kind of fun I assure you. The ATC TD has this on our hit list and the session progress sheets will be revised alongside some new changes to the way we grade students too. I'll do my best to get these changes actioned alongside the release of S2/S3 CT which @Michael Pike has highlighted will hopefully help to improve students' general overall knowledge to begin with.

Jamie Paine
58 minutes ago, Samuel James said:

Thanks Jamie and others for raising your concerns. As @Nathan Donnelly and @Andy Ford have both correctly mentioned I am very keen to slim down the size of our mentoring reports. I want to make mentoring our students an enjoyable and rewarding experience and spending 30 mins filing a session report is not my kind of fun I assure you. The ATC TD has this on our hit list and the session progress sheets will be revised alongside some new changes to the way we grade students too. I'll do my best to get these changes actioned alongside the release of S2/S3 CT which @Michael Pike has highlighted will hopefully help to improve students' general overall knowledge to begin with.

Yeah I must admit those reports are a pain:P