EGTK SMR- Feedback

Anastasios Mpithas

Hey all,

I have been recently making a new SMR for EGTK (Oxford). I would like to ask for feedback, not only by sector file contributors but also from the community so as to improve the layout. :)

NOTE: I know that the stand and hold numbers are missing, and it is on purpose. I would like to finalise the layout before moving into Stands etc. Charts for EGTK can be found here.

Current Pictures (30 Apr. 2017):

5cb75bb7bb08441a9f7c22a4faa82f1f.png

56b552cc87ee420c8126c0ed06fc7f57.png

Edited by Anastasios Mpithas
Images vanished

Not to be a killjoy, but I'm not sure Oxford even has an SMR. Rather than making one, you could just setup a tower view in your sim and then do flightplans etc. using the generic APP pack in the UK file.

2 hours ago, Fraser Barnes said:

Not to be a killjoy, but I'm not sure Oxford even has an SMR. Rather than making one, you could just setup a tower view in your sim and then do flightplans etc. using the generic APP pack in the UK file.

Not everyone has that luxury.

If I'm controlling LON_C or LON_SC (C has TK top-down) then an SMR is a must - it's beyond inconvenient to switch to P3D and back just for TK, not to mention all the system resources P3D eats up.

Equally, it's about choice. If people want to do TWR view, that is of course their right and nobody will challenge that provided they follow the usual rules and standards of controlling. The number of controllers that don't is much higher than those who do, so we should provide them with a means to do so - as part of encouraging people logging onto their local fields and increasing staffing opportunities in the division.

@Anastasios Mpithas - looks good to me. In regards to runway numbers, this could potentially be made optional as other fields in the UK don't have the numbers by default? :)

Edited by Andy Ford

6 hours ago, Andy Ford said:

If I'm controlling LON_C or LON_SC (C has TK top-down) then an SMR is a must - it's beyond inconvenient to switch to P3D and back just for TK, not to mention all the system resources P3D eats up.

Of course, I completely understand, but for situations like Anastasios and I who are both S1’s and in the near future will only be controlling one airfield at a time, I guess we can try and replicate this.

Anyway, I won't ramble on because I've led this a bit off topic.

9 hours ago, Fraser Barnes said:

Hey Fraser,

Thanks for replying! I am aware that Oxford has not a SMR, but if you check other small airfields-that normally do not have a SMR- at the sector file, they also have a basic SMR, to help controllers. However, in case you want (and are able to :P ) do Tower View, you can easily disable the Oxford region (like any other SMR) and it will magically disappear! In the UK Sector File it has been flagged as an issue that a SMR for EGTK is missing since Sept 2015, so I decided to make it.

7 hours ago, Andy Ford said:

In regards to runway numbers, this could potentially be made optional as other fields in the UK don't have the numbers by default? :)

Hey Andy,

I will be removing them since it will be a bit rough to find them through 1000 Geos(aka Lines). :P

Edited by Anastasios Mpithas

Indeed EGTK doesn't have an SMR, the closest thing to it is an interactive map of the airfield for controlling the lights - the actual controlling is done with a paper map and goggling out of the window!

Having said that, as Andy said, an SMR can be very useful for controlling, and it looks good.

Thanks for your feedback. The final SMR pics can be found below:

a4eec5bf2b0e4480b1a3398f24ebfd8a.png

16f8badc711c482da4baa0f197e5dc25.png

It should be live on the next release of the SCT Pack :)

On 01/05/2017 at 18:59, Anastasios Mpithas said:

Thanks for your feedback. The final SMR pics can be found below:

a4eec5bf2b0e4480b1a3398f24ebfd8a.png

16f8badc711c482da4baa0f197e5dc25.png

It should be live on the next release of the SCT Pack :)

Perhaps make the blue box a bit larger? It's supposed to cover the whole screen when the ground map is at a typical zoom level.

Otherwise, looks good!

44 minutes ago, Harry Sugden said:

Perhaps make the blue box a bit larger? It's supposed to cover the whole screen when the ground map is at a typical zoom level.

Otherwise, looks good!

Thanks Harry, will ammend that asap. :)

6 hours ago, Alex Hartshorne said:

Looks nice Tasos, are you doing the whole of the UK then? (the smaller airfields anyway!) :P

I am planning to do more, just let me now which ones would you like. ;)