John Robinson

atc-discussion PDC yes or no?

Fraser Barnes
54 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Hi there,

"ze Germans" will be holding their first CPDLC Topic Night this Friday! Why don't you just pop in and try PDC and CPDLC?

The installation of CPDLC software is not that complicated, especially when using the CPDLC Quick Starter Manual: https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69970

Awesome idea. I think this will encourage (hopefully) more pilots to use the Hoppie's software or the Project A330's system. I tried it out this morning on a short flight and although there weren't any PDC-available controllers online, it was still quite cool sending requests more METARs and using the Telex function. You can even request for a VATSIM ATIS which is really nice; a lot more hassle free than tuning in the ATIS frequency and listening to it as well as another controller down your headset! Events like these should be encouraged across the network. The more PDC is promoted, the more popular it might get.

I've not seen it a lot in the UK but many European controllers use CPLDC on the network. Maybe there should be some sort of promotion like this in VatUK to try and get it up and running for both pilots and controllers. This might just be a simple document put together and posted on the 'Downloads' section of the VatUK website. It would be nice if I actually did get someone calling up for PDC when I connect vSMR to the server!

Andreas Fuchs

Thanks for your encouraging words, let's make this work.

When using vSMR, there will be no harm done if you connect the plugin to Hoppie's ACARS-server and offer the service. You may have to simply promote the service, that's all. All pilots who quickly installed one of the CPDLC clients for pilots in the situation had nothing but praise for it.

Andreas Fuchs

Whenever you see me on EURM_CTR, EDGG_CTR, EDGG_E_CTR, EDDF_DEL or similar you can expect CPDLC control to be available, PDC also when I cover top-down, obviously.

Richard Keen

I might give this a go at some point , I had a flight the other day ask for an PDC Clearance but I didn't have it set up and it looks easy to get it up and running.

Daniel Parkin

Is this not just text dressed up in an annoying and time consuming skin?

Fraser Barnes
15 hours ago, Richard Keen said:

I might give this a go at some point , I had a flight the other day ask for an PDC Clearance but I didn't have it set up and it looks easy to get it up and running.

Easiest way to give a PDC is using vSMR, a Euroscope plugin that makes the SMR of any airport you choose more realistic in terms of tags, has some cool features like a separate display of the approach to each runway, another display showing how many seconds until an aircraft lands and other items including PDC. All you need is a Hoppie ACARS account to logon to the server and a read up of: https://github.com/pierr3/vSMR/wiki/CPDLC-Clearance-system and you're ready to go.

The video that Phillip posted is showing how it works for both controllers and pilots.

Andreas Fuchs
8 hours ago, Daniel Parkin said:

Is this not just text dressed up in an annoying and time consuming skin?

No, by all means, no. Give it a try, you can still get rid of it in case that you don't like it.

Alex Hartshorne

I don't use it, but would if more controllers did. Perhaps this is something we could integrate into the ATC Training scheme from ground up.

Philip Harris

It's in the Heathrow endorsement Moodle, but only as an optional extra 

Chris Dobison

Same applies in the real world. Although completely integrated with Electronic Flight Progress Strips and the aircraft FMC, there are still a large number of crews who sound surprised when told that PDC is available - even though we have been operating with it at Newcastle for almost 12 months now. On the other hand, we still have crews operating flights leaving controlled airspace trying to request PDC (it is only available if you are departing on a SID due to technical limitations). 

In short, the only way more people will use it is through education and experience - I must admit I fly a lot on the network and have never once attempted to use PDC. I will look out for it next time I am passing through Gatwick, but I have only ever noted it on Heathrow ATIS messages that it is available. Seeing it on an ATIS would definitely encourage me to give it a go!

Michael Wright

I'm fairly new on EGLL_GND and want to use the PDC alias in my Euroscope.  Although I've added it to my alias.txt, I'm not sure it is working.  Presume I just type .PDC and select the A/C I want to send it to (assuming I've checked his FP and his SID is correct)?

Cheers

Mike

Fraser Cooper
3 hours ago, Michael Wright said:

I'm fairly new on EGLL_GND and want to use the PDC alias in my Euroscope.  Although I've added it to my alias.txt, I'm not sure it is working.  Presume I just type .PDC and select the A/C I want to send it to (assuming I've checked his FP and his SID is correct)?

Cheers

Mike

Myself and others have used PDC for a long time now. I must say, it works very well. 

Select the a/c in the departure list, type .pdc then space bar to expand it. Make sure looks correct. Then hit enter to send. 

Harry Sugden

Note that you should ensure the SID is set correctly before issuing the PDC, and that a squawk is allocated! If a pilot puts a SID in their flightplan it will force that in EuroScope, even if it's not suitable for the active departure runway.

.pdc .msg $aircraft $dep PDC - $time - INFORMATION $atiscode($dep). $aircraft CLRD TO $arr OFF $deprwy VIA $sid SQUAWK $squawk. NEXT FREQ $com. REPORT ACFT TYPE AND STAND NUMBER ON $com WHEN READY FOR PUSHBACK. PDC READBACK NOT RQRD.

I use $deprwy rather than $deprwy($dep) so that it uses the allocated departure runway and not the one in the runway setup dialog - this is useful at Heathrow, for example, where you might decide to depart one a/c on 27L depsite the main active runway being 27R.

Most important thing - make sure you select the aircraft before typing .pdc! 😄