John Robinson

atc-discussion PDC yes or no?

John Robinson

So I've been looking through various vMATS files and keep coming across PDC, I have seen on the VATSIM.net forum someone has created vSMR and there is another version I believe for acars? Does anyone use it on VATSIM UK? If so is it easy to set up?

Fraser Barnes

Using vSMR, yes it is very easy. You just need to register for an account, enter the password you are given when entering info and then log in. It's the lack of pilots who actually want to use PDC that is the problem but if you put in your remarks that you are using PDC, it might encourage others to try it out.

Edited by Fraser Barnes
typo

John Robinson

Going to get it installed i think just to have a play see if anyone wants it.

Zafar Ballard

The entire time I've switched it on in vSMR I've had one pilot use it. I'd definitely like to see it used more often!

James Yuen

I personally don't use vSMR's PDC feature, however should a pilot request a PDC, I offer them this by PM:

.pdc .msg $aircraft $dep PDC: $aircraft CLRD TO $arr $deprwy via $sid INIT ALT: $alt squawk $asquawk ATIS $atiscode NO READBACK REQUIRED Contact $callsign on frequency $com when FULLY ready to push and start with stand number, ATIS info, aircraft type AND current QNH

Fraser Cooper
2 hours ago, James Yuen said:

I personally don't use vSMR's PDC feature, however should a pilot request a PDC, I offer them this by PM:

.pdc .msg $aircraft $dep PDC: $aircraft CLRD TO $arr $deprwy via $sid INIT ALT: $alt squawk $asquawk ATIS $atiscode NO READBACK REQUIRED Contact $callsign on frequency $com when FULLY ready to push and start with stand number, ATIS info, aircraft type AND current QNH

I think the key word here is 'request'. PDC is requested by the crew and not sent to them instantly as they connect. :)

Joseph Messore
15 hours ago, Fraser Cooper said:

I think the key word here is 'request'. PDC is requested by the crew and not sent to them instantly as they connect. :)

Yeah. Always make sure the pilots "request" a PDC. I found that out the hard way.......:mellow:

Trevor Hannant

Until such time as it's integrated into aircraft itself and doesn't require yet another piece of software running on your desktop (i.e. sim, vpilot, VA ACARS software, mapping program...), it's usefulness and it's takeup will be limited.  

Fraser Barnes
31 minutes ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Until such time as it's integrated into aircraft itself and doesn't require yet another piece of software running on your desktop (i.e. sim, vpilot, VA ACARS software, mapping program...), it's usefulness and it's takeup will be limited.  

I asked about PDC on another post and came to the conclusion that the only way PDC will become popular is if, like you said, add-ons can implement VATSIM connections in their own systems. One to look out for is FSLabs, who as far as I'm aware, have the AOC system setup in their FMGS and you can access certain features like getting your VATSIM flightplan from the server and loading it in the aircraft. If VATSIM and FSLabs maybe team up together and try and create some sort of ACARS system for VATSIM, then I think PDC would takeoff (no pun intended).

It's just how much work would require is the question and whether other developers would do the same. But for now I'll try and use the Hoppie ACARS and put it in my remarks which might encourage controllers to maybe use it as well.

Matthew Piper
3 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

However, the PDC can be sent through the vatsim standard text channel. I was flying out of Heathrow recently, and there was only London Control online, I called him up and he said that a PDC was being issued. I can only imagine this is so he can free up the mic time for more important transmissions. Therefore, I can see a use of PDCs in busier times to help the controllers who are covering multiple positions.

Connor Faulder

I've only ever once put "PDC Available" in my controller ATIS on Heathrow Ground and had 3 pilots request it via CPDLC and 2 via text. I guess that shows the demand can be there.

I've requested PDC once or twice when flying but mainly use the hoppie client/Project A330 client for enroute CPDLC if the European controllers are offering it.

Fraser Barnes
45 minutes ago, Connor Faulder said:

CPDLC if the European controllers are offering it

CPLDC seems to be quite popular with Eurocontrol, Langen, Bremen etc. so maybe there should be a bit more promotion of CPLDC in the London Area so that some pilots can have CPLDC in both Eurocontrol and London. The more controller use it, the more pilots will use it and vice versa.

Johan Grauers

All of this is depending on what Trevor said

18 hours ago, Trevor Hannant said:

Until PDC/CPDLC/Datalink and so on is integrated in an easy to use way so it reduces workload, rather than increase, the uptake will be small.

The real PDC system we work with is either completely automatic (most of the time) or semi-automatic when we set it to be. It takes me probably no more than 3 or 4 seconds to send a semi-automatic PDC, it takes me no effort at all when in automatic. Last I looked at the systems on offer for vatsim (granted, it is a while ago now) they took longer to use than voice clearance at first, and even when proficent required several inputs to produce and send the message.

It needs to be integrated properly into the controller client and into the aircraft in order to be used, if that happens it could be an extremely good system for vatsim. However until that day I think you will only get a limited uptake.

John Robinson

I do believe there is a euroscope plugin I think the issue is primarily the aircraft 'manufactuers' not offering an aircraft plugin. It is a shame as it would make controlling as stated easier and ultimately more realistic.

Fraser Barnes

There is a Euroscope plugin: vSMR and there is a pilot client: Hoppie's ACARS but they just take a while to setup and run outside of the sim.

Anthony Gardner

And as a controller with no knowledge of either PDC or Hoppie's, how do I deal if a pilot requests a PDC? 

Connor Faulder

"Unable" 

If someone is requesting PDC at Liverpool then they're certainly being creative :lol:

Anthony Gardner

Thanks Connor.  This is something that I do not need to concern myself with at the moment. :)

Andreas Fuchs

Hi there,

"ze Germans" will be holding their first CPDLC Topic Night this Friday! Why don't you just pop in and try PDC and CPDLC?

The installation of CPDLC software is not that complicated, especially when using the CPDLC Quick Starter Manual: https://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69970