Daniel Crookes

pilot-training PTD Events

Daniel Crookes

Evening All,

As we all know ATC events are held on a regular basis whereby controllers book to staff up an aerodrome and in turn this attracts an armada of pilots to come and keep them happy. Well, to spice things up the Pilot Training Department would also like to run events, these events may be along the lines of a Shoreham to Biggin Hill VFR link, or maybe Manchester VOR/DME Night where pilots can attend a briefing prior to the event explaining how to fly the procedure at the given aerodrome or the route for the flight. This will give pilots the opportunity to fly routes and procedures that they maybe haven't considered doing before. However, my creativity begins to take a parabolic trajectory after some time so, what would you as pilots like to do? This could be a great success with support from pilots and ATC so please do express your ideas and interest!

Edited by James Mack

Harry Cameron

Maybe something like VFR time where for a certain period of time only VFR traffic is allowed. Just an idea

Andy Ford
8 minutes ago, Harry Cameron said:

Maybe something like VFR time where for a certain period of time only VFR traffic is allowed. Just an idea

My understanding of CoC is that forbidding IFR would be a no-no. However to encourage people to fly VFR I imagine would be ok :)

Edited by Andy Ford

Lewis Hardcastle

Peterheeed circuit night pls.

Claire Barton

SRA night IOM

Edited by Claire Barton

Connor Faulder

Feel free to stop of at Carlisle... 

But as Charlie says, procedural instrument approaches at Hawarden and Liverpool would be a good idea for something different.

Fraser Barnes

I think a staffing of a group of aerodromes in a specific area would be fun - especially  for those wishing to brush up on their circuits. I know that airfields around the London TMA like Denham (EGLD), Wycombe (EGTB), White Waltham (EGLM) and Elstree (EGTR) would be create to have staffed, especially with Farnborough LARS online as well.

That's just a small group, maybe another clump of aerodromes in another area of the UK would be good as well.

Daniel Crookes

Evening All,

Thank you all for your replies there are some great suggestions here! Keep them coming in as bizarre as they may be :D 

Richard Keen

Love the Biggin Hill Idea , if its VFR my suggestion would be to select Airports that don't normally attract a lot of traffic , a new area each week or Month would be a good start , with maybe flying cross country or having a CCT evening at a designated Airport (would help new Pilots handle the CCT) ,...I  would be more then happy to support the event if it ever came to Biggin Hill plus you could try the ILS/DME ...VOR/DME procedure there which is quite fun to keep to the 7DME ARC 

Edited by Richard Keen

Tom Smith

I always thought the event in the old Midlands RTS that we had was good where they'd open up a select few of the airfields within BB/NX airspace and have the radar positions on as well to provide ATSOCAS was good fun :)

Fraser Barnes
6 hours ago, Richard Keen said:

Love the Biggin Hill Idea , if its VFR my suggestion would be to select Airports that don't normally attract a lot of traffic , a new area each week or Month would be a good start , with maybe flying cross country or having a CCT evening at a designated Airport (would help new Pilots handle the CCT) ,...I  would be more then happy to support the event if it ever came to Biggin Hill plus you could try the ILS/DME ...VOR/DME procedure there which is quite fun to keep to the 7DME ARC 

Biggin Hill would be really fun because of its position in UK airspace. You could have pilots flying into or out of Biggin Hill between the thin corridor that lies inbetween KK and LL or maybe have pilots routing east of LC towards Stapleford? And then there's also the classic route from Biggin Hill to Shoreham.

Again, this is just one part of the UK. An airport within a range of some other aerodromes would be really fun for pilots and controllers alike would be very enjoyable I think (as long as everyone knows the basics of flying outside CAS and maybe how to transit through CAS!)

Fraser Barnes
9 hours ago, Kian Smith said:

Manchester overloud event that be good

That would probably just mean an evening of ILS approaches and SIDs which would be a bit against the point of of this discussion. 

Maybe having non-standard departures or some interesting approaches would spice things up a bit!

Sebastian Wheeler

Farnborough staff up, with non standard departures? business jets only?

Zafar Ballard

What about some helicopter action at Blackpool, mixed in with VFR and IFR all OCAS would be a big change!

Alex Ashley

VOR Outage - an event where a main VOR (MAN) goes down, and every departure has to be vectored? :D

Peter Lockwood

I can't help but agree with all the latest suggestions, let's change things up a bit and do something completely different. VFR and/or IFR OCAS has to be something not too stretching for the fairly new people but different enough to make it interesting.