Sebastian Rekdal

atc-discussion Oceanic Controller Tool (BETA)

Sebastian Rekdal

Hello,

Yesterday, Anders Moen and Magnus Meese tried out a new Oceanic Controller Tool. The tool is made by a group of people, including Anders Moen and is especially made for Shanwick and Gander OCA controllers. This controller tool (as far as they know) is based on the real Flight Data Display used at Prestwick for Shanwick controllers. It is currently a BETA, but I am sure Anders will continue to work on this project! :) I've attached some pictures from yesterday's controlling below:

Flight Data Display:

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFn

The Oceanic Map (not Euroscope). Based on the FDDs estimates and not the actual flight path.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL2Rpc2NvcmQuc3RvcmFn

Oceanic clearance:

yeSfW63.png

Position Report:

qRRRDUP.png

Edited by Sebastian Rekdal

Sebastian Rekdal

As long as it's within 10 mins, it's fine ;)

Celestyn Chmielewski

Look amazing! Now, where is my C1.........?

Matt Bozwood-Davies

I tried it out the other day, I personally wasn't keen on it, seemed particularly slow and tedious to use. I'm sure in time it will be more responsive and I might be able to get used to it, I'm wondering if anything is happening with NAECS, or if this is a replacement for such a thing.

Also Celestyn... this is my penguin! :D

Michal Fira

wow :o

Is there any possibility to participate in beta?

Michal

Sebastian Rekdal

This is up to Anders Moen to decide. If you're interested, I'm sure he'll let you use it! His email address is: anders@virtualnorwegian.net.

Michal Fira

Thanks Sebastian, I will drop him an email.

Michal

Johan Grauers

I was at scottish the week before you posted this, if I had known you were working on something I would've payed more attention to how their tools worked!

Nice to see more things being developed, looking forward to it going live. Who knows, if I ever get around to doing oceanic then I might even use it at some point.

Magnus Meese
On 19.1.2016 at 23:35, Matt Bozwood-Davies said:

I tried it out the other day, I personally wasn't keen on it, seemed particularly slow and tedious to use. I'm sure in time it will be more responsive and I might be able to get used to it, I'm wondering if anything is happening with NAECS, or if this is a replacement for such a thing.

What do you mean, slow and tedious? As in server response, or as in usage efficiency? You input the info as you would an excel sheet, only boxes instead of cells, either load the track or copypaste the route as you would an excel sheet, and you're set. Remember that most functions (new acft, posrep, revised) can be done either from the map or the list, you choose. 

Anders Moen

Hi guys,

The link is http://oca.vnas.net for those who want to use it :) (if you're on the Shanwick or Gander member roster that is)

One (quite important) thing that Sebastian left out, is that I make this mainly for my own use. But since I don't wanna keep it 'hidden' for myself, I'll gladly let others use it as well. Ideas, suggestions and improvements are of course always welcome. But like I said, first of all I'm making it for my own use, so it simply won't be created to 'support' 10-20 controllers during CTP e.g.

The map is available at http://oca.vnas.net/map. This is more or less done I believe, but still missing the "edit" page, and an easier way to change only the flight level on an aircraft.

I'm already working on a new list as well, which should update more frequently and smoother, and include some new features that the map has, but as a truck driver, I'm usually away from home Monday-Friday, so I get very little time to work on it unfortunately, so things take time :)

Anders

Magnus Meese

Oh, I just toy with it, I take no part in development! The kudos should go to Anders and Even (who helps Anders out where it's needed). It's a really great tool, far more convenient and functional than any worksheet.

Morten Jelle

Just saw this tool on here - amazin work! I've signed up for it - this is what I've been waiting for, for a very long time. 

Hope you will fullfill this!

Anders Moen

We're making pretty good process on this, although I don't have too much time in-between work. But Even Rognlien has played around and managed to create a proper map :)

I haven't updated the map on the OCA-tool as I rather wait until we have most of the code ready, but I've toyed around with it and worked on another project with the code we have so far. Pretty happy with what we've managed to build so far:

gQI9xGV.png

So hopefully in not too long the map on the OCA-tool will be updated. Speaking of updates, the list thing has been completely rewritten and should work a lot faster and better than before. It also downloads some VATSIM data (and before someone gets a chance to ask: no, the route won't be included automatically except for "NAT#" if found in FPL, as there are simply too many variables to deal with. If all VATSIM pilots could file their FPLs correctly, maybe - but what are the odds of that happening :ph34r:). If you enter an outdated track, it will now try to find said track somewhere. If it does find it, it will enter the route and give you a warning that it's outdated and should be treated like a random route :) (Just a heads up: as long as the track is published over at FAA, it will not give you this warning, so even though it's not active for x hours, you might not get the warning)

The map has one new minor update, and that is that the route is automatically drawn onto the map as you enter the route (and with that function working, I have some other ideas as well, but you know, work) so you can visualize the routing. No VORs/NDBs will work for now (not that too many are used in the NAT region, but there are a few out there)

I guess the next big mission will be to figure out why Firefox doesn't like the new, nice 'round' maps..stupid browser<_<

Edited by Anders Moen

Anders Moen

Gooood evening!

Is there anyone out there who has any high-res images of the GAATS+ system? Thanks! :)

Anders

Sebastian Rekdal

I believe @Johan Grauers or @Simon Irvine might have any. I'm not too sure, though.

...Quite frankly, I have no idea.. :P

Edited by Sebastian Rekdal

Johan Grauers

I don't think I have but I can check.

It's a shame you didn't post this a little sooner because it came out just a few days after I went to Prestwick, so I could've looked at it in detail then but now I didn't really think about it to be honest. Only thing I noticed that I thought of what that they split vertically rather than by track, but that was about it to be honest.

Sebastian Rekdal
1 hour ago, Johan Grauers said:

Only thing I noticed that I thought of what that they split vertically rather than by track, but that was about it to be honest.

Not that I've been at Prestwick to witness this myself, but I do think you are right. At the same time, I do think they split by tracks sometimes as well. I can imagine, during rush hours (or special circumstances where the traffic level is high) they split in both levels and tracks. Wouldn't surprise me.